What's new

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
I'd like this thread to become the '05+ axle bible for tech and info.

Since this is the next big project on my FSB...

nOOB question:
What do I need in order to swap a complete brake set up from an F-350 onto an F-550 axle?

The 05+ F450/550 axles are wider but according to the below article, swapping to 8-lug SRW hubs narrows the track width by about 10 inches, which brings the axle width to 74". That's about 4-5" wider than an SRW Dana 60 from an 05+ F250/350.

Part numbers for 1550 joint shafts.
Right side assembly: 10013778

Left side assembly: 10013781

These #s are for the F250/350

Good info:

WEAVER FABRICATION has steering arms etc for the '05+ axles:
weaverfabrication.com

These guys both had the most complete steering setups from what i could find

weaver fab will machine a stock knuckle and provide arm studs- everything minus balljoints it seems

skys sells both passenger AND driver aftermarket reid knuckles WITH arms AND studs (only company that i could find to sell it all in one place)

https://www.weaverfabrication.com/pr...-complete-kit/

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...uckle-skys-arm

There's a company that makes offset buckets for proper coil spring width, and radius arm brackets for using factory radius arms.

https://www.rydmotorsports.com/produ...conversion-kit

Another 1st page worthy note for people would be that 99-04 axles have smaller knuckles and cannot be swapped easily with the knuckles from 05+ axles

with the difference in knuckles comes a difference in hubs and axle shafts as well, 99-04 has 30 spline outer and 05+ has 35 spline outer

the 99-04 hubs and stub shafts are fairly long compared to the 05+ (i guess the 05+ are just really short in reality)

also that 05+ to current axles are the same except in 2011 or 2012 to current they upgraded the size of the brakes, so an adapter or just the older style brakes are needed i believe (someone chime in on this)

Noob question: what are the torque specs on the knuckle ball joints

Noob answer: I found another forum saying to torque the bottom to ~44ftlb then the upper to ~70ftlb and then retorque the bottom to 150ftlb

Link to info (hopefully links to unmentionables are ok)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ut-torque.html

Tie Rod End —Inner, castellated nut....................90 Nm
Tie Rod End —Inner, Sleeve Clamp Bolts................55 Nm
Drag link to pitman arm nut.................148 ft-lb
Inner & outer tie-rod end nuts................85 ft-lb
Track bar bracket to frame.....................129 ft-lb
Track bar to track bar bracket bolt............406 ft-lb
Track bar to axle nut................................... 185 ft-lb
Radius arm to axle bolts, and bracket nut.........222 ft-lb
Pinion bearing preload..................................10-20 in-lb
Pinion nut............................................... ..220-280 ft-lb
Ring gear bolts............................................120-140 ft-lb
Bearing cap bolts.........................................120-135 ft-lb
Steel Diff cover bolts....................................30-40 ft-lb
Cast aluminum diff cover bolts......................... 24 ft-lb
Wheel lug nuts..........................................120-165 ft-lb
Diff filler plug.............................................18 ft-lb
Brakes, disc, front brake caliper pin bolts (2)......................42 ft-lb
Brakes, disc, rear brake caliper pin bolts (2)......................27 ft-lb
Brakes, front disc brake caliper anchor plate bolts (2)...........166 ft-lb
Brakes, rear disc brake caliper anchor plate bolts (2)......128 ft-lb
Brakes, Caliper Bleeder Screw................................13-18 ft-lb
Shock Absorber (front)......................................76 ft-lb
Shock Absorber (rear).....................................46 ft-lb
Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly Nuts (4).........135 ft-lb
Stabilizer Bar Link Bolts.........................................85 ft-lb

All Superdutys 99-08 that are singe rear wheel models use the 8x170mm bolt pattern.
Old body style(OBS) is 8x6.5

The 05-08's have larger brakes so the backspacing is different than the 99-04's.

In 05 ...engineers to upsized brake rotors by 5 percent, to 347 mm in front and 340 mm in rear.

Other improvements include larger calipers for both the F-250 and F-350. The front calipers have twin 60 mm pistons - up 11 percent from 2004 - for better braking feel. Rear calipers have twin 48 mm calipers on F-250 and twin 54 mm pistons on F-350 dual-rear-wheel models.

BACK SPACING

99-04
......4"
05-07: 17" have 5.50" / 18"and 20"(from the factory) have 5.80" BS

00-04s came with 16s (unless it was a Harley Edition, they had 18s)...they don't clear the calipers on the 05-08s.
A 04 HD wheel would fit on a 05-08 since they were 18s, but they had less backspacing so they sit further out of the wheel wells on 05-08s.

05-08s fit on the 99-04, just rub on the leaf springs and sit further under the truck than they do on the 05-08.

Offset is the location of the wheel mounting surface in relation to the true center of the wheel......normally in mm.
Negative does move it inward.

So....

A 20x10 wheel with a 4.5" BackSpace will have approx -24 or -25mm offset.
A 20x12 wheel with a 4.5" BackSpace will have approx -51mm offset.

and some for the 10.50
Differential bearing cap bolt 88
Differential case half bolts 90
Differential pinion shaft lock bolt 22
Differential ring gear bolts 111
Driveshaft flange bolt 76

http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Artic...ble/index.html

Part numbers for axle parts (not an inclusive list)
Ball Joint Upper
-Moog/XRF - K80026
-Ford - 5C3Z-3049-AB (MCSOE-67) + Nut - F2TZ-3A049-A

Ball Joint Lower
-Moog/XRF - K8607T
-Ford - 8C3Z-3050-C (MCSOE-51) + Nut - F2TZ-3A050-A + Snap Ring - EOTZ-3K050-B

Updated Dust Shield
-Ford - AC3Z-1S175-A (BRS-170)
-Spicer - SS 53877

Axle Seal
-Ford - 5C3Z-3254-AA
-Spicer - SS 2017426 (55474 old#)

AutoLock Hub O-Ring kit (not needed since vacuum system won't be used)
-Ford - 5C3Z-1K106-AB (complete kit with 2 o-rings, gasket, screws)

Yellow Hub/Knuckle O-ring
-Ford - 5C3Z-4A322-AA
-Dana/Spicer - 54983

U-Joint
Spicer - SPL55-3X
Spicer Greaseable - SPL55-4X

Axle: 2005-2010 D60
***There is some confusion over the term "super 60". The true Super 60 is found on the F450/F550. The axle is wider, has larger knuckles, 10 lug adapters, some have a 10" ring gear and 1550 u-joints,etc.

Axle Specs:
-Tubes: 3.75" OD, 1/2" wall
-WMS to WMS: 72"
-Ring Gear: 9.75" (a 10" can be sourced from Ford in limited ratios)
-Lug Pattern: 8x170
-Wheel Studs: M14x1.50
-Weight: Approximately 750lbs loaded with brakes
-Axle shafts: 35 spline
-U-joints: 1480
-Tone ring: 60 tooth

Redrill for sure. Mark Williams has a nice service for it. He will lighten them too if you want.

50299L - Mark Williams Enterprises, Inc

50299 - Mark Williams Enterprises, Inc

09-12 outer knuckle is stamped 9c34

13-16 outer knuckle is stamped dc34

Number is directly above lower ball joint outside of casting.
Rotor needs to be off.

Unit bearing dimensions

sd-60ub-jpg.2951412.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	sd-60ub-jpg.2951412.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	18249

** SET OF 4 ** EMF DANA 60 UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS

sd-60ub-jpg.2951412.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	sd-60ub-jpg.2951412.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	18249

https://emfballjoints.com/collection...er-ball-joints

Great comparison of Kingpin vs 05+:

1666921693963.png

1666960948008.png

1666961083277.png

Last edited:
Just sell the f550 axle and buy a 250/350. No reason to go 550 unless you want to be stupid wide. If that’s the case I saw Jake burkey is making a brake kit for them. :flipoff2:

This would be a great opportunity for the OP to copy all the good tech littered in the 100+ pages on pirate and organize here with links to good tech posts in the original post... :flipoff2:

This would be a great opportunity for the OP to copy all the good tech littered in the 100+ pages on pirate and organize here with links to good tech posts in the original post... :flipoff2:

Yeah; I saw that coming!:lmao:

I browsed that thread yesterday; between the photobucket fuck up and now the website upgrade, said threads pics are almost non-existent. :mad3::mad3::frown:

i think the first 30 pages are outdated info, a fresh up to date start would be nice:laughing:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDH-10013778

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDH-10013781

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDH-708238

axle and ball joint links from summit for a cheap axle rebuild

edit: these are for the standard width f250/f350 axles (72" wms)

a true super 60 (f450/f550) front axle is wider than 72" and comes with 1550 u joints stock

there are standard width axles under some f450/f550, which is what these axles are stock replacements for

update from page 3 for when these links die

Part numbers for 1550 joint shafts.

Right side assembly: 10013778

Left side assembly: 10013781

Last edited:
another 1st page worthy note for people would be that 99-04 axles have smaller knuckles and cannot be swapped easily with the knuckles from 05+ axles

with the difference in knuckles comes a difference in hubs and axle shafts as well, 99-04 has 30 spline outer and 05+ has 35 spline outer

the 99-04 hubs and stub shafts are fairly long compared to the 05+ (i guess the 05+ are just really short in reality)

also that 05+ to current axles are the same except in 2011 or 2012 to current they upgraded the size of the brakes, so an adapter or just the older style brakes are needed i believe (someone chime in on this)

i dont want to pimp specific companies too much but i think both of these were good contributors on that other site that shall not be named :laughing: (weaver was for sure)

anyway, these guys both had the most complete steering setups from what i could find

weaver fab will machine a stock knuckle and provide arm studs- everything minus balljoints it seems

skys sells both passenger AND driver aftermarket reid knuckles WITH arms AND studs (only company that i could find to sell it all in one place)

https://www.weaverfabrication.com/product/2005-hi-steer-complete-kit/

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/c...duty-crossover-steering-reid-knuckle-skys-arm

i dont want to pimp specific companies too much but i think both of these were good contributors on that other site that shall not be named :laughing: (weaver was for sure)

anyway, these guys both had the most complete steering setups from what i could find

https://www.weaverfabrication.com/product/2005-hi-steer-complete-kit/

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/c...duty-crossover-steering-reid-knuckle-skys-arm

HOLY TOLEDO!!1! :eek: :grinpimp: :smokin:
That's what I'm talking about! :beer:

I really hope those vendors migrate over here. :bounce::bounce2:

idk if you can tell but im in the middle of assembling one of these:laughing:

cutting all the original brackets off these axles sucks btw

Im just about to start that. bought a artec truss. what have you found is working best?

Im just about to start that. bought a artec truss. what have you found is working best?

oh fawk, well all i had was a sawzall, grinder and die grinder and that sucked (and a BFH)

if you have a torch your life will be significantly better

if you have a band saw your life will be moderately better

if you have money to pay someone else to do it... your life will be a whole lot better :laughing:

oh fawk, well all i had was a sawzall, grinder and die grinder and that sucked (and a BFH)

if you have a torch your life will be significantly better

if you have a band saw your life will be moderately better

if you have money to pay someone else to do it... your life will be a whole lot better :laughing:

I have a 4 and 6" grinder, sawsall, torch and access to a plasma cutter and a dewalt cordless band saw.
I was thinking torch then the big grinder to grind it down then the small one to make it smooth

idk if you can tell but im in the middle of assembling one of these:laughing:

cutting all the original brackets off these axles sucks btw

I'm going to do a K.I.S.S. as much as possible plugin-n-play.

There's a company that makes offset buckets for proper coil spring width, and radius arm brackets for using factory radius arms.

Relatively speaking; I'm a poor mofo, which is why I'm going with the '87 10.25 dually axle and complete HMMWV tire/rim/run-flat set up.

In the front I'm going spend some coin; will probably take me a year to build it. $500 to $600 at a time.

I have a 4 and 6" grinder, sawsall, torch and access to a plasma cutter and a dewalt cordless band saw.
I was thinking torch then the big grinder to grind it down then the small one to make it smooth

Ah I see what you're asking and yep

You'll need the band saw and sawzall to start off the casted stuff

And same idea as your saying I left everything a little big at first and then came back with a 4" grinder

This guy shows it pretty well

https://youtu.be/81EAjEIoW0s

I'm going to do a K.I.S.S. as much as possible plugin-n-play.

Relatively speaking; I'm a poor mofo, which is why I'm going with the '87 10.25 dually axle and complete HMMWV tire/rim/run-flat set up.

In the front I'm going spend some coin; will probably take me a year to build it. $500 to $600 at a time.

:smokin: can't beat a bolt on kit

Can super duty axles run 16.5 rims :confused: or are the brakes too big?

Also wheel spacers to convert the front from 8x170 to 8 on 6.5

Those unit bearings are expensive

I'll go with the newbie questions for someone 'stuck' in the kingpin ecosystem(four Dodges across three rigs) to go to 2005+:
1) Minimum rim size?
2) How wide are they? I'm at 60" and 67".
3) How easy/cheap is it to get back to 8 on 6.5"?
4) How difficult to 'convert' to leaf sprung? Especially passenger side and narrowed.
5) How much more weight vs kp axle?
6) Worth going from 35 spline yukon chromo?
7) Worth going from WelderBill knuckles?

:smokin: can't beat a bolt on kit

1) Can super duty axles run 16.5 rims :confused: or are the brakes too big?

2) Also wheel spacers to convert the front from 8x170 to 8 on 6.5

3) Those unit bearings are expensive

1) Nope; I'll have to carry 2 spares.

2) See #1

3) My long-term goal might be to swap in an '05+ rear axle

2) See #1

my area a 2005+ d60 is like 800. a axle set is like 1000. just a 10.5 is about 400. i occasionally see rolling frames for 1200. if you dont already have a front. buying a sets probably better in the long run

my area a 2005+ d60 is like 800. a axle set is like 1000. just a 10.5 is about 400. i occasionally see rolling frames for 1200. if you dont already have a front. buying a sets probably better in the long run
Haven't bought a front axle yet.

Good point; that's what I'll probably do, buy as a set.

2) See #1

ah shitty... :laughing:

i would do what angelo said, save up a bit more and go 10.25/10.5 at the same time

edit: i think dually rear ends are 68" wms and superduty fronts are 72"

Top Back Refresh