What's new

05, 5.4 cam phaser lockout ?

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
I have an 05 F350 (doesn't get plugged in here in MY cuz HD)
I have the dreaded phaser noise, sounds like 7.3 NAD at idle!
My question is, if I make my own lockout tabs and install them, will the truck run all right without the tune? From what I can find people say without the tune the CEL will be on, if it runs fine I'm OK with that.

After searching youtube the answer is yes, you can install them with no adverse affects of not doing the tune. The CEL will be on but other than that should be good.

Usually they are rattling around from of lack of oil pressure caused by the tensioner gaskets being blown out and bleeding out the oil pressure. If you keep running it with low oil pressure the cam tunnels get wiped out then it's time for a new engine. Ford has updated tensioners, I usually replace everything because I'm there and I also put a Melling HV oil pump in. Do not use Chinesium parts on this, you'll be sorry
I've done a few of these 5.4 3v's

Usually they are rattling around from of lack of oil pressure caused by the tensioner gaskets being blown out and bleeding out the oil pressure. If you keep running it with low oil pressure the cam tunnels get wiped out then it's time for a new engine. Ford has updated tensioners, I usually replace everything because I'm there and I also put a Melling HV oil pump in. Do not use Chinesium parts on this, you'll be sorry
I've done a few of these 5.4 3v's
According to the factory gauge I have great oil pressure. Should I install an aftermarket one and double check it? I probably won't put 5k per year on it.

Your stock gauge is hooked to a 2-3psi dummy light switch, means nothing. Check it and make sure you've got 20-25 psi at hot idle before you bandaid a bullet wound.

They can knock at hot idle from wear alone too. The phasers are locked by a pin at idle and the bore that pin sits in can get whored out over time.

According to the factory gauge I have great oil pressure. Should I install an aftermarket one and double check it? I probably won't put 5k per year on it.

What I would do, It's a bitch to put a gauge on it to test oil pressure, I'd take an oil filter and weld a fitting on it so you can check the real oil pressure, that's the easiest way to do it.

Now you probably will be low on oil pressure because both tensioners will have the gaskets blown in two places, I guarantee it.. I've done a bunch of these and every one was the same thing. I also put a Mellling high volume oil pump on every one.
If you wanted to roll the dice I'd bet if you just change just the tensioners and the oil pump you'd be fine. When I'm doing for somebody I change everything and use all Ford OEM parts... except the pump.

Ford has an updated design

Attachments

• DEA2C835-4C98-4109-BBD5-1811D3FA303B.jpeg
    DEA2C835-4C98-4109-BBD5-1811D3FA303B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 3B7A8053-F46F-4C99-B4BA-35F1240F9972.jpeg
    3B7A8053-F46F-4C99-B4BA-35F1240F9972.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
I've watched every fordtechmakuloco's videos. I suppose I should bite the bullet and do a full timing job along with the HV Melling oil pump.

That's the best way, do the whole job right. You really don't need the special tools they sell, and you don't have to take out the fowlers. The passenger side cam doesn't want to sit right on the mark, it wants to spring over some so you just have to play with it a little. and you'll need a 8mm flex gear wrench to get the back oil pump bolt out, if you have that you don't have to take the oil pan off, without that you're fucked.

Top Back Refresh