What's new

04 5.3 build. Suggest a cam

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I am looking to put together a 5.3. Hoping for 400 hp. Probably a TBSS manifold. Will be in a relatively light car with a manual trans.

what cam do you suggest? Do I need rockers/springs/hardened pushrods?

Trying to keep it budget. No forced induction plannEd at the moment. What do I need?

If i was spending your money, I'd go something from Texas speed. Stage 2 maybe... would need springs, could spend some coin and find good heads too... you'll need injectors possibly... but, you know a turbo setup can be had for under 1200 off ebay:flipoff2:That's like $6 per hp if you can get 200 at the wheels:laughing:damn good value IMO:smokin:especially with a manual!

If i was spending your money, I'd go something from Texas speed. Stage 2 maybe... would need springs, could spend some coin and find good heads too... you'll need injectors possibly... but, you know a turbo setup can be had for under 1200 off ebay:flipoff2:That's like $6 per hp if you can get 200 at the wheels:laughing:damn good value IMO:smokin:especially with a manual!

:laughing:

I am not changing heads. I expect to need injectors. I dont want nitrous, turbo, etc. I want consistent, linear power. I will probably use Holley Terminator for management.

I also wont go with Texas speed unless I absolutely have to as I dont care to do business with companies that are really proud of a “law enforcement discount”. Fucking clowns.

What trans ? What rear gear ? Weight of car(actual not just relative) ? Desired rpm range (aka what are you using it for ), do you want lots of vacuum or do you want an idle so choppy you barely have power brakes ?

Looks pretty good, but will need springs with that lift...

As for Texas speed, i had not a clue about their love of Leo. Why would an Leo need a discount on cam shafts?

I hear you about wanting your power to be nice and smooth, but won't a small turbo, gt45 or gt35, spool quick right off the bottom and give you a nice power curve right through the mid into the top:confused:between 6-8 psi of boost should not be abrupt on/ off power curve. But hey, it's OK to be scared:flipoff2:
:laughing:also, your cam choice is great for a wutang war whistle:smokin:

As for Texas speed, i had not a clue about their love of Leo. Why would an Leo need a discount on cam shafts?

I hear you about wanting your power to be nice and smooth, but won't a small turbo, gt45 or gt35, spool quick right off the bottom and give you a nice power curve right through the mid into the top:confused:between 6-8 psi of boost should not be abrupt on/ off power curve. But hey, it's OK to be scared:flipoff2:
:laughing:also, your cam choice is great for a wutang war whistle:smokin:
I want to drive the car this summer. Not mess with turbos and intercoolers.

Have you driven a 3400 pound car with 400 horsepower, a manual trans and 4.0s? :flipoff2:

Texas speed has a big banner ad about their Leo discount.

What trans ? What rear gear ? Weight of car(actual not just relative) ? Desired rpm range (aka what are you using it for ), do you want lots of vacuum or do you want an idle so choppy you barely have power brakes ?
T56 or similar
4.10s right now.
3400 lbs
off idle to 7k. Street driver, autocross, occasionally 1/8 and 1/4 mile, messing around on twisty backroads
smooth idle

I've done this recipe about 20 times now, never disappoints and hits all your check boxes:

Just read this, hilarious. Yeah, that's the cam, with the TBSS intake and 89 lb injectors, a 92mm throttle body, and good headers, from the article.

I guess I should read the entire thread.

I'd do them just because springs fatigue and it's cheap insurance.

Last edited:
That comp you listed is going to have a pretty aggressive idle

Couple data points I have direct experience with:

My brother ran this cam in his LQ9 powered square body. It is probably a little tamer than what you want but it pulled past 6500 rpm. Had just a little chop at idle, you'd probably hear it more in a 5.3. Very mild cam but we were really suprised how much harder it pulled at higher rpm's.

We ran this in a turbocharged 4.8. Seems like it might fit the bill for you. Probably idle a little nicer than the comp you had listed. Pulled to 7k, idled reasonably

You'll need valve springs regardless, just grab the Pac 1218's or whatever the go to is. Pushrods wouldn't hurt especially at the .600+ lift you are thinking about. Stock rockers should be fine we have abused the heck out of them with no issues

Check out Bullet Racing Cams. I went with one of their cams in my 496 bbc.

Reactions: DMG
LS6 cam, LS7 lifters, LS9 springs. The holley terminator is a good choice as well.

Top Back Refresh