What's new

04 2500 Steering head scratcher

Crashhawk

That Guy
Member Number
Loc
Ky
So, over the weekend I finally swapped out my steering box and shaft on my 04 2500 with Borgeson "upgrades". Got the "dodge box" and shaft to accompany it.

Figured while I was up in there, I'd just replace the pump and res with a stock replacement Cardone outfit. Flushed and bled the whole system and got ready to roll.

Well, now I have 0 assist at idle. No noise from the pump, doesn't seem to have air in the system. Rev up to about 1200rpm and it works okish. Drove it around a little, almost rear ended a few folks. Reflushed and bled, no change.

I'm leaning toward the pump just being trash out of the bag. Figured I'd check in here before sending shit back and getting another pump.

Was the old pump bad or something? Did the redhead box and borgeson shaft on my 07 and didn't dick with the pump cause it wasn't broke or wore out. No problems. So, my power of deduction points to pump bad.

What oil did you used?

I once tried Autozone’s Valuecraft, a cheapass brand, PS fluid oil.

I had little to no assist at idle with it.

But yes sound like PS pump?

Is it a Cummins? How’s the hydroboost?

What oil did you used?
ATF+4 for first flush and fill. Swepco for the second, because I had it on hand.
I once tried Autozone’s Valuecraft, a cheapass brand, PS fluid oil.

I had little to no assist at idle with it.

But yes sound like PS pump?

Is it a Cummins? How’s the hydroboost? Hydroboost had been working fine.

The parts store that I have an account with quit handling A1 Cardone stuff because they were tired of filling out warranty claims, really!

The pressure relief valve should be on the pump where the pressure line connects to it. I would pull that out and look for debris, if you don’t see anything maybe make a shim so you can bump the pressure. Diesel injector shims from old mechanical engines should work, I use them to set the pressure on my hydraulic system on my tractor and pressure washer.
You’ll need to fab up some fitting so you can check the pressure.

Yeah, I debated on pressure testing. But didn't have fittings to make things work. So I just grabbed a reman pump from a parts house and viola. Now to send this piece of shit back.

Top Back Refresh