What's new

03 Dakota "The Hustler"

How much use did the first case get before the collar fucked off the first time? Two failures in a row and in short order right after one another says to me that something changed and now there's something that was not a problem before but is a problem now.

I agree the shifters sound good on paper from what's described but what else could it be? It's all but guaranteed to be something common to both cases. What other commonalities are there?

On second thought I almost want to take back what I said about the fluid and pump and refocus entirely on the shifters. When those cases get run low/dry, the failure mode in highway driving is typically chain stretch and the chain wearing through the case casting. Not shifter fork fuckery or uncommanded range change.

If some wrong fluid is being run that eats the fork bushings, the fork still shouldn't have enough load on it to eat itself.

Domer I saw the posts on the Idaho wheeling facebook pages. Bummer. I see you are in mountain home. Do you know Chris Bowman? He is a wizard with doublers and in Mtn home. I do all my work myself (for better or for worse lol) and he was the first person I had work on something vs. me doing it in decades. It has been problem free since.

On second thought I almost want to take back what I said about the fluid and pump and refocus entirely on the shifters. When those cases get run low/dry, the failure mode in highway driving is typically chain stretch and the chain wearing through the case casting. Not shifter fork fuckery or uncommanded range change.

If some wrong fluid is being run that eats the fork bushings, the fork still shouldn't have enough load on it to eat itself.
I agree the shifters cant be the problem. but I just got my cable shifters installed. The old setup didn't have any stops though either. Correction on the oil running low, that does not cause chain stretch as the chain doesn't really run going down the road. (I have hubs). But if the case is run low/dry, it burns up the pads, then you have an aluminum fork riding on a steel hub creating heat and it melts the fork till its large enough to fall off. Then the range hub can freely move out of gear with gravity..
How much use did the first case get before the collar fucked off the first time? Two failures in a row and in short order right after one another says to me that something changed and now there's something that was not a problem before but is a problem now.

I agree the shifters sound good on paper from what's described but what else could it be? It's all but guaranteed to be something common to both cases. What other commonalities are there?
Well the first one died on test drive. but that was fresh out of the junkard un inspected. my longest survival was about 3500 miles and most of that being flat towed. first case had 3 failures, 2nd case just failed the 1st time. I'm going out of town for 2 weeks, so I will pull the cases when I get back and tear them apart on the bench.

Domer I saw the posts on the Idaho wheeling facebook pages. Bummer. I see you are in mountain home. Do you know Chris Bowman? He is a wizard with doublers and in Mtn home. I do all my work myself (for better or for worse lol) and he was the first person I had work on something vs. me doing it in decades. It has been problem free since.
Ya, I know Chris out here. I may see if I can get him to come by and look at the cases once they are apart on the bench. Thanks.

Here is the carnage of the case failure. Burnt up range fork and hub. Also a broken thrust washer is the planetary.. lots of grindage between iput shaft and planetary.
20240120_154948.jpg
20240121_135907.jpg
20240121_135802.jpg
20240121_140159.jpg
20240121_140822.jpg
20240121_144355.jpg

That looks gross! Will be curious to find out what the culprit is to your transfer case issues.
Same here.. I have a meeting tomorrow with somebody smarter and more experienced then me on this. See what the verdict is after that. I did pick up a brand new used transfer case today though at LKQ for $148.

Same here.. I have a meeting tomorrow with somebody smarter and more experienced then me on this. See what the verdict is after that. I did pick up a brand new used transfer case today though at LKQ for $148.
👍

Today's verdict was that my doubler kit was out of alignment. This was a very early kit that had to be tweaked. The intermediate shaft was showing hour glass wear.. took some measurements and have about. 040 out of concentric. I reached out to the owner of the company and he is working with me on it. So hopefully this solves the problem. Seems like it may be the issue.
20240124_170738.jpg

Today's verdict was that my doubler kit was out of alignment. This was a very early kit that had to be tweaked. The intermediate shaft was showing hour glass wear.. took some measurements and have about. 040 out of concentric. I reached out to the owner of the company and he is working with me on it. So hopefully this solves the problem. Seems like it may be the issue.
20240124_170738.jpg
Well that’s pretty interesting but at least they are willing to work with you.

Well this is a load of crap.. never had this issue.. broke 3 bolts splitting the case.. decided I'd use the front half of my old case. Started swapping out bearings. They are all grinding and rough.. time for a rebuild kit. :(.. grrr. If it ain't one thing it's another.
I did get my front case rebuilt, its running a 4 pinion planetary which was stock with this caseand assembled. Waiting on my new kit still..
20240128_150910.jpg

20240128_125833.jpg

Started the reassembly of my rear case till it went downhill. Should have tried pulling broken bolts first. Wasted an input seal..
Strange thing, this case had a different chain amd sprockets in it. This case is getting a 6 pinion planetary.

20240128_154455.jpg
20240128_154453.jpg
20240128_153229.jpg

Got my new kit ordered. Owner of FST is a stand up guy. Highly recommend. Started rebuilding my rear NP241 tonight. New bearings and seals through out. 6 pinion planetary added in. Double checked that it had both thrust washers this time. Lol..
20240207_202831.jpg
20240207_202837.jpg

Got my new kit ordered. Owner of FST is a stand up guy. Highly recommend. Started rebuilding my rear NP241 tonight. New bearings and seals through out. 6 pinion planetary added in. Double checked that it had both thrust washers this time. Lol..
20240207_202831.jpg
20240207_202837.jpg
👍

Any updates on the tcase rebuild etc?
Sort of, both cases are fully rebuilt and ready to go. Been waiting on my new doubler adapter. Just got confirmation it will ship Monday. My truck has just been sitting and staring at me. So hopefully soon. Been working on my explorer while this one has been down.
20240205_160216.jpg

Sort of, both cases are fully rebuilt and ready to go. Been waiting on my new doubler adapter. Just got confirmation it will ship Monday. My truck has just been sitting and staring at me. So hopefully soon. Been working on my explorer while this one has been down.
20240205_160216.jpg
Very cool all around.

The saga continues. Got my new doubler kit in today. This one looks far nicer than my original kit did. Going to dial this one in and drill and pin it.
20240315_160439.jpg
20240315_160431.jpg

Top Back Refresh