03 cummins 3500 DRW

Fredycruger

Today
Member Number
Loc
MA
IMG_6952.jpg
got this thing in trade 213000 miles
dirty as fuck inside, been in front end collision 8 years ago and was repainted so it
looks clean outside and no rust underneath

truck had rebuilt transmission and new transfer case put in 1000 miles ago
i put in upgraded steering box and steering linkage

when i got it. it had tps and fan clutch problems i pout in new TPS (apps) and fan clutch and that got rid of the codes. but seems like napa fan clutch is shit and stays engaged all the time even w/o a/c running (changed transducer on ac compressor no change. it actually threw p0533). waiting on temp sensor to come in maybe that's the issue for the fan stay engaged :rolleyes:
still throw P0480 :mad3:

the bigger issue i got it feels like it doesn't have 4th gear or not going to overdrive
@ 50MPH im at 2000 rpm not sure if that's normal, to me seems high

the other day when i reversed out of long driveway and started to move forward, it didn't want to shift out of first till i reached high rpm and was holding gear /draggin

when i pulled over and restarted the truck all was back to normal (still running 2000rpm at 50ish)

didnt get the chance to plug the scanner to see if there any other codes related to tranny

would bad speed sensor do this kind of sh!t ? i dont think the tranny is bad it feels more like electronic issue

its my first cummins and i dont know sh!t about them

Sounds like either a bad fluid pressure governor or torque converter failing. The FPG can fail and not allow the torque converter to lock, raising the trans temp and engaging the fan clutch near-constant. Running like this too long will wear out the TC, and it will eventually need replacement as well (if not already).

Sounds like either a bad fluid pressure governor or torque converter failing. The FPG can fail and not allow the torque converter to lock, raising the trans temp and engaging the fan clutch near-constant. Running like this too long will wear out the TC, and it will eventually need replacement as well (if not already).

thanks man i'll look into it :beer:

i think the shifting is related to the shifter , sometimes it goes crazy when im switching from R back to P and back to D

i got another issue ,i failed emission opacity test with limit 20 i blew 54

i know truck have 150hp injector and 100HP diablo tuner puck. it smokes when you step on it but clears once turbo spools

i just got some fuel stuff to put in the fuel to see if i get any improvement
another option is stock tune and stock injectors or
Smarty programer that have "1/2 power" tune but that's 600$ thats third of injectors price:confused:

anybody have experience with smarty?is it worth to try or wasted money

U will probably never clean up 150hp injectors, well maybe a real good efi live tune? All the programers fuel heavy down low so they dont help. Even with a new cam, smarty and twins mine with 150hp injectors still puffs down the road.

I have a four seasons fan and it works but check the harness above the frame rail. Mine was crushed under the body mount from the factory.

Make sure to check all the injector lines under the valve cover. Also (and I have no idea how to do this) make sure the injectors themselves aren't leaking. I swear everyone I know with a 5.9 common rail has had issues with one or both of these issues. Which can cause major damage if not fixed.

Oh and swap in a real trans:flipoff2:

Bought a '04 48RE with 165k that had wierd/wouldn't shift. Was an easy fix with a $30 speed sensor.

Otherwise, any 1st gear issue I've encountered was fixed by adjusting the band (external bolt). Under the shift linkage. Loosen the nut, crank the bolt all the was down, back it off 3/4 turn, set the nut back.

Also, theres a wiring harness that goes over the top of the bell that can chafe (atleast on my 5600 truck). Make sure they didnt pinch a wire or something dumb when they R&R the trans.

U will probably never clean up 150hp injectors, well maybe a real good efi live tune? All the programers fuel heavy down low so they dont help. Even with a new cam, smarty and twins mine with 150hp injectors still puffs down the road.

I have a four seasons fan and it works but check the harness above the frame rail. Mine was crushed under the body mount from the factory.

Thanks guys, good to know you saved me 600$ :smokin:

metro fuel injection have set for 1400$ shipped im going to get new connector tubes and i guess 6.7 tubes are the ones to get

ill check the wiring harness as i got some wonky shit going on :grinpimp:

are there 2 temp sensors ?
napa have listed one for gauge switch and other one doesn't say

ether way the sensor have different connector :confused:

Last edited:
Make sure to check all the injector lines under the valve cover. Also (and I have no idea how to do this) make sure the injectors themselves aren't leaking. I swear everyone I know with a 5.9 common rail has had issues with one or both of these issues. Which can cause major damage if not fixed.

Oh and swap in a real trans:flipoff2:

im planing to get new connector tubes i guess that's the lines under valve cover?

i have 1/2 leg missing i can't do manual nomo :flipoff2:(comfortably )

Bought a '04 48RE with 165k that had wierd/wouldn't shift. Was an easy fix with a $30 speed sensor.

Otherwise, any 1st gear issue I've encountered was fixed by adjusting the band (external bolt). Under the shift linkage. Loosen the nut, crank the bolt all the was down, back it off 3/4 turn, set the nut back.

Also, theres a wiring harness that goes over the top of the bell that can chafe (atleast on my 5600 truck). Make sure they didnt pinch a wire or something dumb when they R&R the trans.

was the speed sensor on rear axle or transmission?

he said he had the tranny rebuild and when he put it in he had same issue as before :laughing::laughing:

wasn't sure what to expect , but truck did good on the beach

image_17638.jpg

had to put in driveshaft first though, it came with the truck , brand new :smokin:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2047.JPG Views:	0 Size:	328.5 KB ID:	94667

I'm 99.9% sure its NOT 3/4 turn out! closer to around 2 turns back out. 3/4 turn likely will result in a burned up trans.

ordered set of injectors and put them in over the weekend
116909613_1047840555633918_2733685991007504963_n.jpg
117855079_3329542870424897_7196730415363170191_n.jpg
118014904_345276143297249_1211945003345046649_n.jpg

weird thing is, the transmission works now and i can cruise at 1500 rpm doing 50Mph:confused:
idk if it was the disconnected battery or what LOL

either way im going to buy 2 sensors that are in the tranny, transducer and governor pressure.
i thinlk there is problem
when i try to shift into 2 or 1 it doesn't show the indicator on the dash

after test drive i was pulling out of my shop and steering linkage broke
truck came with new linkage so i was back on the road after couple hours:smokin:

117375323_315369266330936_6162027714598759170_n.jpg
117685802_825978594601914_7388456873711223856_n.jpg
117527892_967122657106548_6663999235597845814_n.jpg
117823628_2616406515290059_8463628357831630835_n.jpg

ordered set of injectors and put them in over the weekend

weird thing is, the transmission works now and i can cruise at 1500 rpm doing 50Mph:confused:
idk if it was the disconnected battery or what LOL

My wild ass guess would be that the truck wasn't tuned for the bigger injectors so the ECU and TCM couldn't figure out what was going on.

Glad that its going down the road better :smokin:

Following along for another Fredycruger vehicle resurrection thread... :grinpimp::grinpimp::flipoff2::flipoff2:

My wild ass guess would be that the truck wasn't tuned for the bigger injectors so the ECU and TCM couldn't figure out what was going on.

Glad that its going down the road better :smokin:

that is my guess as well
it only had diablo puck tuner

Not sure how the auto gets its info but the engine doesnt care what injectors u have. It will just dump fuel on the low end. The program will not adjust or learn. Other then the smoke, higher boost and a sharp torque curve as the air catches up to the fuel the truck would run fine. The tune will just get u more power out if the injectors.

U would guess u were right and the trans computer just needed a hard reset.

yesterday i changed the transducer and governor pressure solenoid and still acting weird after it warms up
pan was nice and clean. and no junk on magnet

i ordered range sensor bc i shifter wont show 1 when i move shift lever to 1st.
guess i could check the shifter linkage and adjust it if there's adjustment, but new sensor is on the way along with speed sensor:lmao:

changed range sensor and adjusted shifter cable , no change ,replaced the speed sensor , no change :mad3:
adjusted the front band , TPS and TV cable and truck shifting great

i think TV cable was getting stuck and truck thought there was WOT when i was in fact slowing down
it would downshift and wouldn't shift till 2500
i noticed resistance in gas pedal that's why i investigated the TV cable

had good night sleep after i figured it out :flipoff2::smokin:

Well, fuck me , still failed emissions :mad3: opacity was 31 limit was 20 WTF still better than 54 it tested first time. but still fucked

im going to get the programmer and run it at 1/2 power settings and see what it does

Last edited:
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7499.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	115895
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	340.8 KB ID:	115896

passed the opacity test at 2.9

i filled up with biodiesel, power washed inside the tailpipe and installed "1/2 power" tune.
there was no smoke at all

i started off at 54 :eek: before changing injectors

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh