What's new

02 Powerstroke throttle issues

Fuzzydog

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
BC Interior
I love my 02 super duty powerstroke. It sees very little use as I really only use it in summer for camper hauling duty. I've owned it about 5 years or so and ever since day one it had had this issue that I have not been able to solve. Googling isn't much help other than it seems like others have had the same thing.
The problem is a surging/cutting out just off idle.
It idles great, and as long as I am accelerating it runs and pulls great. Going down the highway and steady on the throttle runs great. Cruise control runs great.
But every time I have to go slow on a rough road (barely above idle slow - just touching the pedal) it goes, then rpm drops, returns, drops returns. So holding pedal down about 1/8 to 1/4 inch the throttle cycles off/on/off/on...rinse repeat. But I can accelerate through that spot with no problem.
Pedal assembly with TPS and IVS are brand new Motormaster from the dealer about 3 years ago to the tune of $1000 and resulted in no change at all.
I have autoenginuity with the Ford pack but don't see anything on there that points me to a solution. Anyone else experienced this and found a solution?
I love the truck and it serves me well but I hate the way it drives when going slow

What kind of ICP pressures are you getting at idle?

Before you even run it, pop the connector off the ICP (Drivers head) and check for oil. If the sensor has gone bad it will leak high pressure oil into the connector. A failed ICP will affect idle.

I've seen cam position sensors cause similar situations.

Mouse is correct, almost every 7.3 I get to work on need a new ICP sensor, Ford actually it's a timing sensor. ONLY use OEM ICP sensor and cam sensor or you'll do the job again and beware ebay is FULL of counterfeit OEM sensors.

You might also check your throttle position sensor and that little micro switch that is on there. Seems like if you have the switch adjusted too close to where the tps starts registering then it can cause some funky just off idle shit to happen. I had that issue with my 95 a long time ago after fiddling with it one time.

Thanks for the help guys. First thing was to check that ICP and here is a pic of it:
PXL_20210601_030330511.jpg

To be fair, it didn't actually break until I looked at it with the intent of unclipping the plug.lol. pretty sure it wasn't doing its job.
So the verdict is dealer only for this item? Looks like it is about a $200 item but money well spent if it cures my problem. I'll update when I get the new ICP in.
Is the truck driveable without it- does the ecu have a set of default values for when it goes bad?

Sure beats $200. There's cheaper ones on there too, but that was the top of the list and a motorcraft...
I dunno man....if it sounds too good to be true it prob is. That listing uses the word motorcaft but looking at the details....I don't think it is genuine motorcaft. But thanks for pointing me in that direction. It will help me find something that passes the smell test :beer:

That's counterfeit ebay junk ^^^ up there. if you buy that you'll be buying another one, the right one. Those will cause a whole host of other problems and even no-starts.
I got stung with the junk before.

They’re on rock auto as cheap as 35 bucks before shipping ..... and honestly I wouldn’t be afraid to give it a shot .

From what I've read, (can't confirm) one of the big differences between OEM ICP sensors and cheaper ones is that the OEM uses gold plated contacts. Buy nice or buy twice.

Ooph my butt hurts! That was a pricey piece. $300 CAD, and that was after I whined at them a bit. Will install and report back.

Looks like the ICP was the culprit. Some slow speed driving around town was very smooth. Heading out this weekend and will be doing slow going on rough roads - that will be the real test and will report back. Not sure if it is just my imagination but first impression with the new ICP is that the engine runs smoother and a bit quieter. I think it was $300 well spent. Thanks for the tips steering me in The right direction :beer:

Thanks again guys. Took the truck with camper down some pretty rough roads this weekend and it was slow going for a lot of it. Throttle was smooth and easy to crawl at low speed. The ICP was definitely the culprit. Seems the IVS needs a bit of adjusting but driveability is so much improved now.:beer:

Top Back Refresh