What's new

02 Dakota QuadCab 4x440x40s

Winchested

IH Scout SSII
Member Number
I run the Milodon 180 in my IH 345. They are expensive but the only company making a proper Robertshaw style thermo stat which blocks the bypass. Same one for BB mopar. Works great.

Mad Max

Imagineer
Member Number
...it sure does! I fired it back up, it got to 180, and never went a degree higher 👍 , and the cooling system is not leaking! 👍 . Plus, the valve covers are not leaking!! 👍 . And, we think we know why the idle has been 'wonky' - it appears the gas tank vent system (which feeds into the air hat) may be the culprit; I'll discuss that with Ethan at Holley next week.

So, bottom line is...so long as nothing else decides to get wonky, the engine may finally be 'there'. And with that done, it is Beer-30! 🍺 .

rattle_snake

Fuckwits
Member Number
Loc
Chandler, AZ
Congrats on the win man, you were due for things to go right. Some times it takes a longer more painful path to learn the nuances.
:beer:

Now I won't have to suggest swapping to a Ford engine.

350TacoZilla

Member Number
Loc
MD
Congrats on figuring out the issue. I'll admit as someone who doesn't deal much with mopar's I would probably never have suspected that. I wonder how many of these end up in JY due to overheating issues stemming from that thermostat and water pump housing style.

Mad Max

Imagineer
Member Number
yah there's been a few motorhome threads I've read about 'overheating 440s' and it could have simply been an incorrect thermostat. I've had the truck running a few times now and the temp gauge acts like there's a barrier at the 180* mark 👍

Meanwhile, when I went to swap the alternator out I discovered a bit of a design 'flaw' in the CVF serpentine setup - turns out the alternator cannot be removed without pulling the power steering pump - the ps pump pulley slightly 'covers' the lower bolt for the alternator. Now in the big scheme of things that isn't a show-stopper, but for this truck...well it needed to be a bit more 'field serviceable'. Since it was apart I went ahead and pulled the main bracket off and relocated the mount for the power steering pump 3/8 inch down and inside, at a 45* angle. I cut/cleaned it and glued it back together. Not only do I now have unrestricted access to the lower alternator bolt, but I also retained use the original belt - it's just the tiniest bit tighter to get the belt on but not so much that it can't be used. Worked awesome 👍

Also, I trimmed the fan blade again to provide more clearance to the idler arm, and now it doesn't hit.

Dpf6wef.jpg

4yQPhR2.jpg

ViWZME6.jpg

UuBNof8.jpg