What's new

01 Silverado leans to one side

01 Sleeperado

Member Number
My 2001 Silverado has a slight lean to the front driver side. When I measured the height of the driver fender, it was 1.5" closer to the ground than the passenger. Then I looked underneath and the torsion bar key bolt was further out on the driver side. When I tightened it to match the passenger, then the fender was only .5" lower than the passenger side. I drove it that way for about a year and now it is leaning to the driver side again. Key bolts look the same.

Any thoughts? Is my torsion bar going bad? the control arm bushings look fine.
Truck is a 2001 1500HD 2wd. Thanks

I was going to say to put a fat chick in the passengers seat but I see you only have 1 post and are probably looking for a real answer. Second thought is to measure from some frame points to the ground, preferably on a flat concrete surface. I'd probably check from the body mounting points on each side. This way you can tell if your it's suspension related. If you measure from the fenders and you have a bad or rusted body mount then the torsion bar isn't going to solve anything.

What's your guys recommendation? New keys? or new bars? Are the Cognito ones worth the cost?

Swap the bars left to right.

When you measure in the future go from fender arch to center of wheel. Heights can be thrown off by tire size and air pressures when measuring to the ground.

I was going to say to put a fat chick in the passengers seat but I see you only have 1 post and are probably looking for a real answer. Second thought is to measure from some frame points to the ground, preferably on a flat concrete surface. I'd probably check from the body mounting points on each side. This way you can tell if your it's suspension related. If you measure from the fenders and you have a bad or rusted body mount then the torsion bar isn't going to solve anything.
You make some good points. Fat chick might help... My body is in pretty good shape, I'm in Oregon where they don't salt the roads and it was a garage princess until i got is 3 years ago

Top Back Refresh