What's new

“Clastic may be an idiot” or should (and how) do I make a Cherokee Ftoy?

Clastic

Member Number
Short version.

Friend of mine has a Cherokee that’s been sitting. Basic rig. Got an 8.8 rear, I think 4.56’s and off brand 35’s.

It’s never had armor of any kind. Windows are beat out of it, rockers have a nice curve, and the body is toast.

But then I got to thinking about Action Fabs project nillionaire from PBB.

Question is, if I cut the body off the Cherokee to make a tube deal, will the “frame” hold, or do I need to brace it with plate before I start cutting?

I don’t want to reinvent the wheel and back half with square tubing, so I’m trying to see how much bracing I would need.

For those that dunno what project nillionaire is…

Attachments

• ED403345-236A-498B-96D5-17A0F6E18ABA.jpeg
    ED403345-236A-498B-96D5-17A0F6E18ABA.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 134
That's a lot of work to have a nose heavy tube chassis abortion on a D30/8.8.
Not so much work really, tube works easy money, especially if I can keep the frame with all the system on it. I just want more visibility and lighter weight

He actually was developing a chassis to do basically that, except it was a whole new chassis.

I don't think keeping the stock "frame" is really worth it unless it's plated, then I guess it should be the same as a frame.

Ok, I guess I see the benefit of a "firewall buggy" just go after it. :smokin:

Not so much work really, tube works easy money, especially if I can keep the frame with all the system on it. I just want more visibility and lighter weight

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

What's the point of keeping anything Cherokar related?

buying a cheap xj/zj and using all of the parts even down to brake pedals and steering coloum in a custom chassis would be the cheapest way to build a buggy I could think of. With some 35s and a good driver you could probably hurt some feelings too:smokin:

Top Back Refresh