Cutoff wheels

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cutoff wheels

    Always used abrasive wheels in the past. Picked up one of these at Tractor Supply recently.https://www.grainger.com/product/48R...!438760353028! And I am impressed. Made probably 30 cuts on some 1/4" brackets that I am stripping off of an old trailer and it still looks like new. Would have probably been through 5 abrasive wheels in that time. Anyone else using these or similar?

    #2
    I haven't used them before but heard they cut pretty slow, did you find that to be the case?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by quarters_ninja View Post
      I haven't used them before but heard they cut pretty slow, did you find that to be the case?
      I don't feel that it cuts any slower. And it stays full size so you aren't working with a tiny wheel as it gets wore out.

      Comment


        #4
        Tried a smaller one on a die grinder and was slow as fuck. I’ll stick to abrasive wheels

        Comment


          #5
          Is it the equivalent of 20 HF wheels? Because they cost the same.
          88 Ford F-turd50 IDI Crawler

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by quarters_ninja View Post
            I haven't used them before but heard they cut pretty slow, did you find that to be the case?
            I have used them before and yes they do cut slower. Especially when they start getting a bit of wear to them. They work great for thinner stuff that would really wear out an abrasive wheel when pushing it hard. I still prefer abrasive cut-off wheels for most stuff.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ntaylor View Post
              Always used abrasive wheels in the past. Picked up one of these at Tractor Supply recently.https://www.grainger.com/product/48R...!438760353028! And I am impressed. Made probably 30 cuts on some 1/4" brackets that I am stripping off of an old trailer and it still looks like new. Would have probably been through 5 abrasive wheels in that time. Anyone else using these or similar?
              $20 for one wheel???


              Does it last as long as 2 six-packs of other cutoff wheels?
              μολὼν λαβέ
              '94 Ford Bronco XL / Sky's ORD 6"lift / Sterling 10.25 dually / HMMWV tires / Bilstein shocks

              Comment


                #8
                Even at our local hardware store you can get four abrasive wheels for the cost of that one. Think I will stick with them.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Aggie06 View Post
                  Even at our local hardware store you can get four abrasive wheels for the cost of that one. Think I will stick with them.
                  I haven't used it a lot but I would say I have used it the equivalent of at least 5 abrasive wheels. And, it still looks like new. I think it was $15 where I bought it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Speaking of abrasive wheels, anyone notice a decline in HF 4.5” wheel life? Usually that’s all I’ve used but seems like they don’t last as long. I grabbed a pack of Diablo from homodepot and they seem slightly better.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by 4Eyedturd View Post
                      Speaking of abrasive wheels, anyone notice a decline in HF 4.5” wheel life? Usually that’s all I’ve used but seems like they don’t last as long. I grabbed a pack of Diablo from homodepot and they seem slightly better.
                      Which ones? Last time there were Warriror (Green), Hercules (Blue), and Bauer (red) branded ones. Seem like the Hercules ones last a bit longer than the warriors. The few diablo ones I've bought do seem to last longer than both of those.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've been using these Walter wheels. They seem to last longer than the cheapies.

                        https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...91812054244-20
                        1987 FJ60 "Moonshine" - 4BT+stuff
                        2004 F550 "Project Mayhem" - 6.0+stuff

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Wulf View Post

                          Which ones? Last time there were Warriror (Green), Hercules (Blue), and Bauer (red) branded ones. Seem like the Hercules ones last a bit longer than the warriors. The few diablo ones I've bought do seem to last longer than both of those.
                          Green ones are the only ones I’ve used

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by 4Eyedturd View Post

                            Green ones are the only ones I’ve used
                            Same here, and they definitely do t last as long as they used to.

                            Boss man buys DeWalt 4 1/2" cutoff wheels. They last alot longer, but cost 4x the price.
                            Every day is better than the next.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Along similar lines, I saw the carbide tipped blades for 14" chop saw. They run over $100. Anybody tried those?

                              That is the cost of like 10 abrasive blades. I would like to try one on some 1/4" square tube before commiting to the purchase...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X