Mountain Biking

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Mountain Biking

    It's been about five years since I've ridden anywhere. Tired of the noises coming out of my ancient Judy rockshock. My cousin is trying to help me either build a new bike or score some parts to redo my Kestrel. I'm tired of being fat, old and lazy. I would settle for just old.
    Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt.

    #2
    Unfortunately, mountain bikes don't really age the way dirt bikes do. New geometry and standards for everything make upgrading an old bike sorta futile. You would save yourself some headache getting a new bike.

    Also, this may be sacrilegious for a lot of people, but if you're looking to get back into it, look at an ebike. Preggo wife got one to be able to ride a little longer before she had to hang it up and you definitely still get a work out riding one. The new stuff is really good.

    Comment


      #3
      Where are you located and what kind of trails do you want to ride? What is your budget? How tall are you?

      Depending on those answers, you might be able to get by with a decent hardtail. ~1500 new. You might also be into the full suspension market, about 3k new. If you are of a normalish size, you might have luck in the used market. I would shop there if I could, but XL bikes that I like aren't easy to find.

      I ride a Specialized camber comp carbon all over tennessee and arkansas. I love it and won't be going back to a hardtail anytime soon.

      Comment


        #4
        5'8" with short legs. Have a Kestrel Rubicon Comp dual suspension that I built back in '99.

        Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt.

        Comment


          #5
          yea time to park that thing and move on.

          https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...s-meta-tr.html

          https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...und-table.html

          Comment


            #6
            I wish it was that easy. Work has slowed to a crawl and have $0 expendable cash at the moment. If/when work picks up I could see myself buying into a new(er) bike but not ATM.
            Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt.

            Comment


              #7
              https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mobil1syn View Post
                Thanks man, just what I was hoping for!
                Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have a Proflex with a Girvin front end stuffed up in the attic that looks a lot like that, between the bobbing when climbing because of the high pivot and the Girvin moving in a J form it flat sucked. I'm all about riding older stuff that works, that High Pivot design got shuffled out pretty quick.
                  Click image for larger version
Name:	KM1WeRJl.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1051

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by crisbee1 View Post
                    I have a Proflex with a Girvin front end stuffed up in the attic that looks a lot like that, between the bobbing when climbing because of the high pivot and the Girvin moving in a J form it flat sucked. I'm all about riding older stuff that works, that High Pivot design got shuffled out pretty quick.
                    Click image for larger version
Name:	KM1WeRJl.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1051
                    Yep, I regretted buying it when I moved to CO later that same year.
                    Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Wheels are the big deal for me an older hardtail with a choice set of wheels and a 100mm front would be nice.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        My old mountain bike made a nice gravel bike and then I got to buy a new 29er



                        I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floating

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I didn't ride at all last year, trying to get my shit setup for this year. This dropper post cable is driving me fucking nuts. It's worked flawlessly for the past four years, but now it's decided to start fucking with me. I don't remember it being so damn picky to setup the first time, but getting the tension right is a massive PITA. It either wants to stay locked out all the way up or not rebound and it all has to do with the damn cable tension and I'm about to sling the damn thing out into the street. I know it's the cable because if you disconnect the cable and operate the lever on the post by hand it works flawlessly.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by east_beast View Post
                            I didn't ride at all last year, trying to get my shit setup for this year. This dropper post cable is driving me fucking nuts. It's worked flawlessly for the past four years, but now it's decided to start fucking with me. I don't remember it being so damn picky to setup the first time, but getting the tension right is a massive PITA. It either wants to stay locked out all the way up or not rebound and it all has to do with the damn cable tension and I'm about to sling the damn thing out into the street. I know it's the cable because if you disconnect the cable and operate the lever on the post by hand it works flawlessly.
                            I just got a bike with one last July I think, I don’t know how I went so long without one, game changer. If you give up, I’d recommend the bike shop by qdoba/Home Depot

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Fullsize80cherokee View Post

                              I just got a bike with one last July I think, I don’t know how I went so long without one, game changer. If you give up, I’d recommend the bike shop by qdoba/Home Depot
                              Yeah, they've always treated me right. I just broke down and bought a new cable for it today.

                              Not sure how hard you go, but I found a gnarly illegal downhill trail off of the Dedisse Trail last week bushwhacking around with the kiddo and dog. It drops off the main ridge and ends right at the bridge going across Bear Creek just past the golf course. Several big gap jumps and a 30-40 foot cliff drop that's probably in the 45 degree range. The whole trail is probably in the 20-30 degree range. It's the real deal. I'll stick to just hiking it. LOL!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X