Tent recomendations

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tent recomendations

    Im looking for a good quality tent, but not sure exactly what I want.

    ideally, a rooftop tent I can mount to the arms on my gooseneck, truck or Jeep. But due to the cost of those, I am open to a regular ol tent as well, but I dont have any desire for a Walmart cheapie.

    I have a canvas 2/3 man tent I use for the kids, but it isnt ideal for our family of 5. The kids can still use it, and the Mrs. and I can use the new one.

    I have also been looking for a SMALL tent trailer. We used to have one over 10 years ago that would work perfect for this newly built trailer. I have never seen another one like it though and we sold it to buy a small 5th wheel at the time. It was approx 5x8 folded. 1 bed slid out from the tongue side, and the door was on the back. The top canvas basically folded up and out like a convertible car top. It had no hard roof. I have seen motorcycle type campers similar, but this one was a bit bigger.

    it was light as a feather, and only had a table in it. It would fit my gooseneck perfect now.....oh well.

    If I could find a tent trailer that the body was less than 102" long, it would be a great option as well as I would mount it sideways on the front of my trailer deck.

    I found an older Apache Eagle, but it needed too much work, typical of an 80s trailer.

    #2
    A little more info on size, price, etc would help. Do you need to stand up inside it? Is super fast setup or compact storage a priority?

    The Front Runner rooftop tents seem to be the cheapest good quality option at around $1,000. I think they are better trailer mounted than vehicle mounted unless you’re literally traveling in a manner where you stay somewhere different each night.

    Those tent cots are similar for 1/4 of the price, then you’ve got the backpacking style dome tents, the larger car camping stand up tents, and then the non-freestanding tipi type shelters. I’ve had good luck with my North Face tents, but I think their quality isn’t what it once was. I don’t consider the $40 Wal-mart dome tents, “pop up” deals, or multi room 30 lb tents to be worth owning. None of them will handle any weather, so if you’re just dealing with light rain you’re better off with a tarp, or just sleep outside otherwise.

    Comment


      #3
      I built 2x4 and plywood as platform and lay tent on it.

      Jumping Jack comes to mind but pretty pricy. Though I see decent deal on used one in great condition. Owner tends to take good care of it

      Comment


        #4
        Did you find anything yet?

        Your old trailer sounds like mine, a Coleman Colorado.

        Click image for larger version
Name:	sept20194.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	59119

        Colorado's, Fleetwood Neon, Comet, and a few other single bunk campers out there, but all pulling a premium these days. I have also seen smaller twin bunk trailers modified by removing a slide and refigure the canvas on end.

        Comment


          #5
          Love my popup tent
          forget the name brand, 30 sec. Up, 2 min stowed...
          3 man up size.
          Most likely not exactly what ya need...
          ​​​​
          Last edited by Clb; 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM.
          83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
          hopes to grow up someday

          Comment


            #6
            We've got a livin lite 8.1 from 2016 - its a blast. They are all aluminum and I think 780 pounds before gear. They switched to steel and wood last year i think. I'll dig up a pic

            Comment


              #7
              I do not understand the appeal of roof top tents. Ive never once been camping in my ground tent and thought "you know what would make this better? A ladder to get in and out of my tent from!"

              What's your price range? For the price of an entry level roof top you can get a quality tent, rain fly, ground cloth, and bed roll.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Will12785 View Post
                I do not understand the appeal of roof top tents. Ive never once been camping in my ground tent and thought "you know what would make this better? A ladder to get in and out of my tent from!"

                What's your price range? For the price of an entry level roof top you can get a quality tent, rain fly, ground cloth, and bed roll.
                Yeah, but everyone in the parking lot will never know you're mr. hardcore expedition adventure guy if your tent is in a bag at home.

                They seem like a okay setup if you have to deal with shitty rocky terrain or a place where the ground starts moving at night from all the big amazon bugs.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Will12785 View Post
                  I do not understand the appeal of roof top tents. Ive never once been camping in my ground tent and thought "you know what would make this better? A ladder to get in and out of my tent from!"

                  What's your price range? For the price of an entry level roof top you can get a quality tent, rain fly, ground cloth, and bed roll.
                  The appeal is for true expedition type travel where you’re racking up the miles each day and want to crash out on the side of the road at night. 60 second setup, leave the bedding inside, etc. I agree they are completely stupid for typical weekend camping where you’re in the same spot for 3 days, or want to actually use your vehicle to fish, haul bikes, etc out of camp.

                  What’s even stupider are the “overlanding fags” who drive around 24/7 running errands in town with their maxxtrax, rotopax, and roof top tents strapped to their Tacoma’s.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gatorgrizz27 View Post

                    The appeal is for true expedition type travel where you’re racking up the miles each day and want to crash out on the side of the road at night. 60 second setup, leave the bedding inside, etc. I agree they are completely stupid for typical weekend camping where you’re in the same spot for 3 days, or want to actually use your vehicle to fish, haul bikes, etc out of camp.

                    What’s even stupider are the “overlanding fags” who drive around 24/7 running errands in town with their maxxtrax, rotopax, and roof top tents strapped to their Tacoma’s.
                    I don't know what makes for "true expedition types" but I've camped in nearly every terrain in every situation imaginable from temps ranging -40 to over 100 in elevations from sea level to 12k+ feet and still have never thought a ladder would make my tent better. I can get my camp set up in 5 minutes with my eyes closed (i practice). Tent sleeping bag and bed roll just seem like the best option to me.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Will12785 View Post

                      I don't know what makes for "true expedition types" but I've camped in nearly every terrain in every situation imaginable from temps ranging -40 to over 100 in elevations from sea level to 12k+ feet and still have never thought a ladder would make my tent better. I can get my camp set up in 5 minutes with my eyes closed (i practice). Tent sleeping bag and bed roll just seem like the best option to me.
                      Not defending them as I think they are stupid for 95% of camping uses. To answer your question, if you’re driving every day and sleeping in a different spot each night, where you’re basically just trying to find a place to pull the truck off the road, I get the benefits of them. You don’t have to find/clear a space for the tent, if it gets put up wet from dew in the morning you can easily flip it out to dry while you stop for lunch, etc.

                      A ground tent is the best option for most people, especially if you want to carry it 50’ from the parking area down to the lakeshore, or run into town to grab some more beer.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I don't get why people don't get any other option than what they use. ​​​​​​

                        My in laws had a tempi or whatever and they loved it. They even used it in a monsoon rain storm. I'd imagine sleeping on the ground would have not worked in that situation.

                        As mentioned, built in mattress, leave your bedding in it. Just flip it up and go to bed.

                        Ever sleep in snow? Or mud? Or somewhere that's Rocky as fuck?

                        I mean fucks sakes, I get that most people just have them because it's a trend, but how can you not see the benefits?




                        I will say, having them on the roof of an suv looks retarded, mounted at bed rail hight isn't terrible, but I think mounted on a trailer would be best for me. I probably will ever actually cough up the money for one though.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Roof top tent

                          Good for: On the move constantly tours. Never staying at the one place more than one night.

                          ​​​​​Very shit for: Staying at the one camp spot for nights and using the same vehicle to wheel in.

                          ​​

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
                            I don't get why people don't get any other option than what they use. ​​​​​​

                            My in laws had a tempi or whatever and they loved it. They even used it in a monsoon rain storm. I'd imagine sleeping on the ground would have not worked in that situation.

                            As mentioned, built in mattress, leave your bedding in it. Just flip it up and go to bed.

                            Ever sleep in snow? Or mud? Or somewhere that's Rocky as fuck?

                            I mean fucks sakes, I get that most people just have them because it's a trend, but how can you not see the benefits?




                            I will say, having them on the roof of an suv looks retarded, mounted at bed rail hight isn't terrible, but I think mounted on a trailer would be best for me. I probably will ever actually cough up the money for one though.
                            I don't think you quite understand how opinions work

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I bought an ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Tent a couple years ago. It's pretty quick to setup and tear down on my own and is spacious enough for my 6'3" fatass and my 50 and 75 lb dogs. Would be a little cozy with an extra person in the mix, though.

                              I know of one person who sold their RTT to go back to a ground setup and another wheeling buddy is talking about doing the same.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X