Ranger overdrive

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ranger overdrive

    Anyone have any experience with the Advanced adapters Ranger overdrive? I’ve been wanting to add an overdrive to my spare parts truck. I’m concerned about the anemic 420 ft lbs rating.

    I like the np435 that’s currently in the truck and don’t want to swap in a zf 5speed or a nv4500. So the ranger or a gear venders are my options.

    The truck it’s going in is a 1976 Ford F-150 one ton axles, 5.13 gears 44” boggers, a 500+ ft lbs 466 bbf.

    I really don’t want to spend $1500 to find out it will scatter parts everywhere.

    #2
    Ha! I've been down this mental road a time or two as well!

    Interested as well as there has been more than one project that I have strongly considered putting one into. The three common themes that kept coming up (which you probably have seen so far):

    - They can be noisy (duh!)
    - They will make shifting slower (Also no duh, you're spinning more mass in front of the trans!)
    - It appears that AA doesn't keep them 'on the shelf' so lead times can take awhile to get one (again, that shouldn't be a surprise for 'custom' stuff).

    I'm not going to claim they are bomb proof as I don't have any first hand experience with one, but I don't recall ever coming across one that blew itself apart due to too much power.

    Depending on your timeline, they do pop up for sale occasionally for around $800-1k. So the used market is a viable way to save a couple of bucks.

    Comment


      #3
      Its right at the motor. If your 435 held up a ranger will.
      Its not after the trans so the torque isnt multiplied.
      :ogre:

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Kage View Post
        Ha! I've been down this mental road a time or two as well!

        Interested as well as there has been more than one project that I have strongly considered putting one into. The three common themes that kept coming up (which you probably have seen so far):

        - They can be noisy (duh!)
        - They will make shifting slower (Also no duh, you're spinning more mass in front of the trans!)
        - It appears that AA doesn't keep them 'on the shelf' so lead times can take awhile to get one (again, that shouldn't be a surprise for 'custom' stuff).

        I'm not going to claim they are bomb proof as I don't have any first hand experience with one, but I don't recall ever coming across one that blew itself apart due to too much power.

        Depending on your timeline, they do pop up for sale occasionally for around $800-1k. So the used market is a viable way to save a couple of bucks.
        The noise I’m not too concerned with. 44” boggers at highway speed are quite loud. So throw in some rattling gears will break up the howling

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by total newb View Post
          Its right at the motor. If your 435 held up a ranger will.
          Its not after the trans so the torque isnt multiplied.
          I noticed it went between the motor and transmission. I’m reasonably certain it will survive. I just can’t seem to find anyone that has put some power to one of these units.

          I really don’t want to change the driveshafts, crossmembers, etc, if it wont hold up to the engine.

          Comment


            #6
            You are going to have to change the lengths of 2 driveshafts, move the transmission back, cut more holes in the floor, build a new cross member, extend the clutch linkage, etc.

            And how is this easier or cheaper than buying a ZF?

            I would look for a ZF, sell your 435 and bellhousing. You may come out money ahead.
            45 Ford GPW - Project Flat F***er

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Blown4x4 View Post

              I noticed it went between the motor and transmission. I’m reasonably certain it will survive. I just can’t seem to find anyone that has put some power to one of these units.

              I really don’t want to change the driveshafts, crossmembers, etc, if it wont hold up to the engine.
              How much to you skinny down and clutch dump?
              What your 435 rated for?
              Its a 1:1 and 1:1.25 not a reducer. I think youll be fine if youre not smoking 435 constantly.

              Ive never heaved off a 420 or 465 input and ive laid down some pretty mean hammering. Rangers are basicaly just the same shit as most transmissions and 203 gear boxes. Ive put a hell of a lot through a 203 range box and never killed one either.
              :ogre:

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by FordFascist View Post
                You are going to have to change the lengths of 2 driveshafts, move the transmission back, cut more holes in the floor, build a new cross member, extend the clutch linkage, etc.

                And how is this easier or cheaper than buying a ZF?

                I would look for a ZF, sell your 435 and bellhousing. You may come out money ahead.
                Not a unreasonable suggestion. Np435s don’t go for much around here. Maybe a couple hundred if I’m lucky. I’m gonna just go for it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by total newb View Post

                  How much to you skinny down and clutch dump?
                  What your 435 rated for?
                  Its a 1:1 and 1:1.25 not a reducer. I think youll be fine if youre not smoking 435 constantly.

                  Ive never heaved off a 420 or 465 input and ive laid down some pretty mean hammering. Rangers are basicaly just the same shit as most transmissions and 203 gear boxes. Ive put a hell of a lot through a 203 range box and never killed one either.
                  all valid points.

                  I’m not doing 3k clutch dumps or anything. But I definitely use it. I’m gonna order it next week.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by FordFascist View Post
                    You are going to have to change the lengths of 2 driveshafts, move the transmission back, cut more holes in the floor, build a new cross member, extend the clutch linkage, etc.

                    And how is this easier or cheaper than buying a ZF?

                    I would look for a ZF, sell your 435 and bellhousing. You may come out money ahead.
                    Going to a ZF doesn't get him 8 forward speeds and two reverse speeds though.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by arse_sidewards View Post

                      Going to a ZF doesn't get him 8 forward speeds and two reverse speeds though.
                      That’s one of the added benefits of going with the Ranger setup, and ultimately why I’m gonna go with it. My 4 speed is in excellent shape, plus I just replaced the clutch assembly a couple years ago.

                      A remanufactured zf5 isn’t exactly cheap, I will have to eat the core charge. I’ve been looking local for a good used unit, and they are over priced, or damaged in some way.

                      As far as the driveshafts go, the zf5 is longer than the np435 and would require the shafts to be modified as well.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Too risky.
                        Didn't you at one point in time buy the Currie HP 9 inch made from 8,8 gears? It was limited horse power and everyone blew those up.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                          Too risky.
                          Didn't you at one point in time buy the Currie HP 9 inch made from 8,8 gears? It was limited horse power and everyone blew those up.
                          Not me. I‘ve been running a one ton axle setup for a little over 20 years. I finally had to replace the 14 bolt a couple months back, though. I broke a factory axle and it wiped out the diff.

                          I have ran 2.5 ton rockwells on another truck I had.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X