Painting frame and crossmember and such? Chassis Saver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Painting frame and crossmember and such? Chassis Saver?


    On my 33 Chevy project, I have a new IFS crossmember and frame boxing to do, and some tubular A-arms. All the steel in question is bare, and absolutely no rust.

    I'd like the finish to be black, either glossy or semi-gloss, probably semi-gloss I guess. I don't particularly care if there are minor brush marks left behind, the front crossmember really won't be seen that much anyway.

    I'm not going for car-show quality here, it's going to be a driver, I really just want to keep it protected from rust, not be affected much by possible oil, fuel, and coolant spills (hey, I'm clumsy...) and not flake off as it will eventually see a lot of road miles.



    Is Chassis Saver a good product for this? Can it be applied with a brush/roller? (I don't have a sprayer)



    Are there any rattle-can products that would be good for this? For primer, I already I have quite a few cans of Rustoleum Automotive Self-Etching primer.
    Last edited by dnsfailure; 06-05-2020, 06:23 PM.
    - Buck

    #2
    /
    I'm going to use Rust Bullet on my Bronco project.
    μολὼν λαβέ
    '94 Ford Bronco XL / Sky's ORD 6"lift / Sterling 10.25 dually / HMMWV tires / Bilstein shocks

    Comment


      #3
      From my experiences. You just need to keep the oxygen away from the metal. Go with Rustoleum oil base. It's easy to touch up at any time without much effort. If you leave it exposed to the elements it will fade and weather but I don't mind scuffing it and respraying it every few years.

      If you wan't it to last and never chip off look into the POR15 2 part epoxy.

      Comment


        #4
        If your getting into epoxy go big.

        https://www.sherwin-williams.com.jm/...oxy-646-epoxy/

        Comment


          #5
          I posted a similar question in my flatdeck thread in the tow rig section, and most everyone said they hadn't had success with POR15 or similar products. I'm going to end up blasting mine with tremclad I think.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ANGRYBLACK View Post
            From my experiences. You just need to keep the oxygen away from the metal. Go with Rustoleum oil base. It's easy to touch up at any time without much effort. If you leave it exposed to the elements it will fade and weather but I don't mind scuffing it and respraying it every few years.

            If you wan't it to last and never chip off look into the POR15 2 part epoxy.
            The oil based Rustoleum, like this? Looks like it's sold locally at lowes, flat, semigloss and gloss. both brush on and spray on.

            Click image for larger version  Name:	673840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	30144
            Attached Files
            - Buck

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by dnsfailure View Post

              The oil based Rustoleum, like this? Looks like it's sold locally at lowes, flat, semigloss and gloss. both brush on and spray on.

              Click image for larger version Name:	673840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	30144
              Used that stuff many times, sprayed it and rolled it great results.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by crispins View Post

                Used that stuff many times, sprayed it and rolled it great results.
                is it compatible with their "self etching primer"? I believe they are both oil based (edit) actually looking at the can of primer, I don't see anywhere that it says oil based. not sure where I got that from. (edit2) yes, on home depots site it states it's oil based. should be compatible then?
                Last edited by dnsfailure; 06-06-2020, 10:33 AM.
                - Buck

                Comment


                  #9
                  I've used the greenish Rust-Oleum self etching spray primer with their pro grade oil based paint lots of times. Works great together. And if its prepped right the paint will stay stuck for years.

                  Most recently I used that combo to paint the winch cradle and winch guard tubes on my wifes Jeep. You would never know it wasn't powder coated.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
                    I've used the greenish Rust-Oleum self etching spray primer with their pro grade oil based paint lots of times. Works great together. And if its prepped right the paint will stay stuck for years.
                    Thanks! Yeah, the greenish grey stuff.

                    I've usually used acetone to clean metal parts before spraying, but I notice on the self etching primer can it states to use mineral spirits. I have both. Does it really matter? I'm not much of a paint person, if I could I'd leave everything bare metal
                    - Buck

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I always use acetone.

                      Scuff up the material with a red scotch brite pad.
                      Spray two coats of primer
                      Scuff primer with green scotch brite pad when dry
                      Wipe with a tack cloth
                      Paint




                      Click image for larger version
Name:	20190923_235934.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	30175

                      Comment


                        #12
                        This chassis was painted using the same method....

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20151129_105607_zpsa2lrsxbo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	30182

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I think that's what I'll go with, thanks. I've already got the primer, I'll pick up a can of the enamel.
                          - Buck

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by dnsfailure View Post

                            is it compatible with their "self etching primer"? I believe they are both oil based (edit) actually looking at the can of primer, I don't see anywhere that it says oil based. not sure where I got that from. (edit2) yes, on home depots site it states it's oil based. should be compatible then?
                            I have never primed with it.

                            it is oil based so if your primer is oil it should be fine

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Squamch View Post
                              I posted a similar question in my flatdeck thread in the tow rig section, and most everyone said they hadn't had success with POR15 or similar products. I'm going to end up blasting mine with tremclad I think.
                              I'm a fan of Rust Bullet.

                              I'm wondering how Tremclad is better than Rust Bullet.


                              My only concern is, the product that provides coverage, peeling off.

                              Since I'm focused on frame and suspension brackets; I don't care about the finish.
                              I just just want rust/corrosion protection.
                              μολὼν λαβέ
                              '94 Ford Bronco XL / Sky's ORD 6"lift / Sterling 10.25 dually / HMMWV tires / Bilstein shocks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X