Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just know that if you get a beater, it will ride like hell. The newer ones ride pretty soft from the factory. Especially the generals.

Comment

Originally posted by jhama78 View Post
      Rhino will not be quiet and will be harder to get aftermarket parts for, its been a few years since production of them stopped. The engine on them is under the seats so in addition to noise you get to enjoy heat too.

I have a Rzr 800 now and its quieter than the rhino I had but still took a little insulation in certain areas to make quiet enough to carry on a conversation at 10mph (engine cover, trans tunnel, firewall).

Couple buds of mine have Rzr 1k and General 1k and they are both ok at low speeds noise wise but the engine does sound off when you get into them even with stock exhaust.

Best thing to do would be drive a few different brands and see which one fits your noise/work/$ requirements.
      Theres still plenty of aftermarket support from clutch kits, long arm kits to cdi upgrades.

The engine is actually between the seats. My friends teryx are much hotter.

The rhino is slow, doesn't articulate like newer sxs's but they are built like little tanks. That's why they are still seen on the trails hanging right with rzr's, teryx's and commanders...šŸ˜

Comment

Originally posted by CJunk View Post
        Just two weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a new Yamaha Wolverine. So far around 50 miles on the odometer and 6 hours or so on the clock. It going to be an okay ride for what we got it for but have two issues sorta already mentioned.

Low speed running around the exhaust noise is livable. Anything much above 30mph, forget it. Ya damned sure will not be sneaking up on anything.

Issue number two is the heat coming up from the engine cover between the seats. This might be okay in the Fall and Winter months but sucks in July.

I can imagine in a year or two or sooner I'll be selling or trading this thing for something else.
        They make a 12volt fan that mounts into the housing and draws air in from the riding compartment and pushed out the back. A couple friends run them...a wolverine and a teryx...and claim they make a huge difference.

The other good part is the fan is reversible so in the winter you can pull warm air in off the engine.

For the exhaust they make (or you can make one) a silencer that the muffler dumps into.

Comment

If I were in the market for a new sxs I'd give the cf moto zforce and the roxor a close look....depending on what you want. I've driven them both and for the price well surprised. Myself I'd probably go with the cf moto.

Comment

My Mrs. saw a YouTube video of a super up one was like that looks fun. When I told her it probably had $50k in upgrades to do what she wanted to do she noped out of there quick.
            Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Comment

I've had dirtbikes, 4 wheelers, 3 wheelers, a rzr, you name it for the last 16 years. They have all came and gone except the Honda ATC 110 3 wheeler which was the first "toy" I bought and is a blast to ride. A 2012 rzr 900 xp was the last one I bought and sold, I had it 3-4 years and barely used the thing, in laws had one and riding in it was alot of fun at st Anthony sand dunes and we had 2 young kids so figured it was time to let the dirt bike and 4 wheeler go for more of a family type vehicle. We used to go to st Anthony's or the Oregon coast dunes every year, life has happened and we havent been now for 4 years. I doubt I put 200hrs on that RZR but I sure dumped a bunch of time and money into it, I did setup a plow for it which was handy as hell these last few years for moving snow out of my long driveway and back patio and that's where it got 75% of its use. I didnt take the plow off of it until like April this year and took it out trail riding twice before I sold it a few weeks ago.

I've always hated the cvt clutches, I put all the cocksucker deluxe clutch parts with full adjustability onto this machine and yes it was a ton better than a stock machine but I still didnt like the principle of it. Like others have mentioned your either at idle, at 3/4 of the rev range holding a steady cruise or just under the rev limiter when your accelerating. I honestly would like to try one of the SXS like the Yamaha's with a real clutch and transmission. Like others have mentioned heat was a issue also, the later model 1000s and such are built on a longer chassis and have more room between the engine and the seats than the 900's so they arent as bad. I had half doors, a windshield, and a full soft top for it that I would install in the winter and just with that I couldn't imagine needing to install a heater into it. Jean's, boots, and a hoodie is all I would have on inside of it while snow wheeling and depending on how cold it was outside sometimes I would have to take off the hoodie. Summer months would be half doors and just the windshield, I had planned on taking the windshield out for more airflow because you'd get swampass and swamp back from the engine heat, this was in shorts and a tshirt.

I bought the rzr when my blazer was torn apart with no axles under it and I was busy building vehicles for everyone else but myself. We used it for snow wheeling, trail rides, up in the mountains, etc. Everytime we took it out either myself or my wife would say " I sure miss the blazer and wish we were in it right now". Since the blazer has been back together we would take it out 98% of the time over the rzr. In my opinion the only place the rzr is more fun is out at the sand dunes.

I would really like another dirtbike one of these days, i should to get somewhat back into shape but it would probably kill me at this point being fat, out of shape, and older now Only way I would buy another sxs is if I needed one for around the property like a ranger or if I was to move into a small town where you could use it as a DD.
              Last edited by Rennat_2006; 2 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumping View Post

They make a 12volt fan that mounts into the housing and draws air in from the riding compartment and pushed out the back. A couple friends run them...a wolverine and a teryx...and claim they make a huge difference.

The other good part is the fan is reversible so in the winter you can pull warm air in off the engine.

For the exhaust they make (or you can make one) a silencer that the muffler dumps into.
                Thanks for the info. I will be looking into this. Mainly the noise issue.

I probably should mention as for the heat issue, some of it is sort of my fault. I added the plexiglass windscreen to this little ride. It has a couple of "little bit" open options or wide open. Of course closed all the way down. This aftermarket windshield is creating a bit of a vacuum behind it drawing the heat up from the engine. Fully opened seems to eliminate that air pocket keeping that excess heat down and back.

Comment

Originally posted by CJunk View Post

Thanks for the info. I will be looking into this. Mainly the noise issue.

I probably should mention as for the heat issue, some of it is sort of my fault. I added the plexiglass windscreen to this little ride. It has a couple of "little bit" open options or wide open. Of course closed all the way down. This aftermarket windshield is creating a bit of a vacuum behind it drawing the heat up from the engine. Fully opened seems to eliminate that air pocket keeping that excess heat down and back.
                  Yep...I tried a standard one piece windshield...nope. Too dang hot without air flow.

You can get a nice stainless steel piano hinge at Lowe's and make it a folding windshield.

Comment

Working...
                  X