Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lockout Options Question

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Toreadorranger View Post

    I wouldn't bother with a LS up front. They never work as well on the trail as you think they will.
    How about a Detroit locker up front?



    I've only had experience with them in the rear axle.

    μολὼν λαβέ
    Trump: THIS, IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM! THIS, IS WHERE WE FIGHT! THIS, IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by welndmn View Post
      That's fine for a trail rig, but if your going to drive at speed it's pretty terrible.
      Buy a locker or leave it open.
      I'm going to install a cable-actuated OX rear locker.



      Installing one up front is definitely an option; but at $1,000 still sitting in a box....
      μολὼν λαβέ
      Trump: THIS, IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM! THIS, IS WHERE WE FIGHT! THIS, IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!

      Comment


        #18
        I run the trutrac in my bronco TTB on 37s with 4.56 gears. Works fantastic and has held up for now going on 16 years. Does good in snow and such.

        Return the OX and get a ford E-locker for the 10.5. You can find them new for about 600 bucks. Then spend the other 400 on something for the front. I bought one for my 88 f 250 crawler project.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by CDA 455 II View Post

          How about a Detroit locker up front?



          I've only had experience with them in the rear axle.
          An automatic locker (Detroit, Grizzly, Lock Right, Spartan, etc.) works fine up front. It will just tend to push though while you are trying to turn on loose surfaces in 4WD. On the street it will be fine with either slugs or hubs as long as you aren't in 4 High. If you so do the automatic locker route, I'd go with a Grizzly over a Detroit. They are usually a bit cheaper and won't grenade if you break a shaft or U-joint like a Detroit will. However, If you are wanting to drive around in 4 high on ice and snow, the automatic locker wont be much better than a spool/welded diff. If driving on snow and ice is a concern, I'd highly recommend going selectable lockers front and rear.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by '84 Bronco II View Post

            An automatic locker (Detroit, Grizzly, Lock Right, Spartan, etc.) works fine up front. It will just tend to push though while you are trying to turn on loose surfaces in 4WD. On the street it will be fine with either slugs or hubs as long as you aren't in 4 High. If you so do the automatic locker route, I'd go with a Grizzly over a Detroit. They are usually a bit cheaper and won't grenade if you break a shaft or U-joint like a Detroit will. However, If you are wanting to drive around in 4 high on ice and snow, the automatic locker wont be much better than a spool/welded diff.

            If driving on snow and ice is a concern, I'd highly recommend going selectable lockers front and rear.
            /
            Since I'm thinking of putting an OX in the rear axle; I should also put a cable-actuated OX in the front as well?
            μολὼν λαβέ
            Trump: THIS, IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM! THIS, IS WHERE WE FIGHT! THIS, IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Bigblue 94 View Post
              Return the OX and get a ford E-locker for the 10.5. You can find them new for about 600 bucks. Then spend the other 400 on something for the front. I bought one for my 88 f 250 crawler project.
              +1. I was going to go Ox, then Ford dropped the Elockers to $485 +s/h. Hard to argue.

              Now I'm thinking Elocker for the front 60. 10 years from now, I'm not going to care if I saved $500 (detroit), but I'll still enjoy the switch.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190506-121443_Firefox(3).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	89038

              We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by subybaja View Post

                +1. I was going to go Ox, then Ford dropped the Elockers to $485 +s/h. Hard to argue.

                Now I'm thinking Elocker for the front 60. 10 years from now, I'm not going to care if I saved $500 (detroit), but I'll still enjoy the switch.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190506-121443_Firefox(3).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	89038
                Hmmm...

                My 1ton is an '87 Sterling 10.25 dually 35 spline.

                That particular locker is said to be for a SRW.


                It also states that it's a LS too?


                I'm definitely open to an Elocker being in the front.
                μολὼν λαβέ
                Trump: THIS, IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM! THIS, IS WHERE WE FIGHT! THIS, IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Thats because IIRC the duallys were all D80 by that point.
                  That locker is supposed to fit into the 10.25 just fine, altho i dont yet know what anyone has done about swapping the tone ring onto it. I kinda want one for my 96, once i know the tone ring will work.
                  88 bronco // 96 bronco // 96 f250

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by reptillikus View Post
                    Thats because IIRC the duallys were all D80 by that point.
                    That locker is supposed to fit into the 10.25 just fine, altho i dont yet know what anyone has done about swapping the tone ring onto it. I kinda want one for my 96, once i know the tone ring will work.
                    Kingfish999 over at FSB put one in his sterling 10.25 already. He has a thread about it

                    Comment


                      #25
                      i didnt realize he ever actually installed it. With the stupid new forum software i lost track of all sorts of good threads. I guess it does fit, once you make a notch for the tone ring. Seems simple enough to do.
                      88 bronco // 96 bronco // 96 f250

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by CDA 455 II View Post

                        I'm going to install a cable-actuated OX rear locker.



                        Installing one up front is definitely an option; but at $1,000 still sitting in a box....
                        I would recommend the reverse of this. Selectable in the front and auto in the rear. Its the best of your options by far unless you plan to go all selectable.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Mines's in my '95 Sterling. Fit exactly like the OEM carrier. I did have to Dremel a notch in the carrier for the tone ring index tab.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200414_224708.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	89888


                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200414_225238.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	89889

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200415_181454.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	89890

                          We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            /
                            E-locker?
                            μολὼν λαβέ
                            Trump: THIS, IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM! THIS, IS WHERE WE FIGHT! THIS, IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Factory e-locker from ~08+. There was a thread on the other site.

                              when I swap my axles in, I'm planning on factory elocker in the back, and warn lockouts up front. If I can find a reasonable selectable locker for the front, I'll do that as well.

                              It's a tow rig though, not really a wheeler.
                              Screw Vertical Scope
                              Lugnut4x4.com

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Pt_Ranger_v8 View Post
                                Factory e-locker from ~08+. There was a thread on the other site.

                                when I swap my axles in, I'm planning on factory elocker in the back, and warn lockouts up front. If I can find a reasonable selectable locker for the front, I'll do that as well.

                                It's a tow rig though, not really a wheeler.
                                I believe its 2011 and up, not '08. I could be wrong though

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X