preemptive f250 sas questions/hints please

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    preemptive f250 sas questions/hints please

    Just looking for the important minor details of a sas on a ttb truck.

    96 f250
    Gas mt.
    5.8l if it matteres.


    I have a bj d60 lined out
    The shackle rev will be used to gain the small lift wanted
    Ruffstuff/partmike steerinks to be assembled once axle is installed.

    Shocks and brake line will be ordered once the truck is back on the ground.

    Drive shaft is minor and easy to handle is it needs to be modified.


    What are the small bullshit that will drag this out and slow down the swap?
    :ogre:

    #2
    I did a backwards swap, put ttb d50 in an f350 to keep the kp60, I needed to find a 250 Pittman arm to correct my geometry, but they made a few different ones

    Comment


      #3
      What front springs are you going to use?
      88 Ford F-turd50 IDI Crawler

      Comment


        #4
        Just planning on keeping the oe ttb springs as per the shackle rev should provide the lift.

        Worst case was to have them re-arched if to low.
        :ogre:

        Comment


          #5
          Would the rear need to be lifted at all? I had a 96 and the front springs were all inverted to shit. I figure you SAS it with fresh springs, the front is going to be like 2' taller.

          Comment


            #6
            Do not reuse the TTB springs with the solid axle, they are WAY too stiff. An F350 sits 2" higher than an F250, so if you use factory F350 springs, you will get a 2" lift and it will ride like it should. The problem is that if you use the factory height F350 springs with the reverse shackle kit, you are going to end up with ~5" of lift. I know Superduty springs were popular with reverse shackle conversions and were supposed to be the best riding low buck setup, but I don't remember how much lift that puts you at. The factory forward shackle setup with factory F350 springs will ride better than a reverse shackle setup with TTB springs and give you about the same amount of lift (~2" vs. ~3" respectively).

            The only difference in the rear suspension between the F250 and F350 is that the F350 uses ~2" taller blocks so that it sits higher to match the front.

            If I were doing the swap, I would use all factory parts and it literally bolts right in.

            Comment


              #7
              I dont think sd oe spring should give much lift. They are flat as fuck.

              Ill check with my buddy that has the axle and see what it has for springs.
              :ogre:

              Comment


                #8
                This is my 88 IDI right after swapping in the D60. I had a complete donor truck, it was a 86 460 F350. This is the stock F350 leafs with a set of 38.5 SX. Gives you an idea on the height.

                Click image for larger version
Name:	swap no cut.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	37395
                88 Ford F-turd50 IDI Crawler

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Toreadorranger View Post
                  This is my 88 IDI right after swapping in the D60. I had a complete donor truck, it was a 86 460 F350. This is the stock F350 leafs with a set of 38.5 SX. Gives you an idea on the height.

                  Click image for larger version
Name:	swap no cut.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	37395
                  Man. If I were to do it again, I'd rock something like that all day long. Just enough curves. Perfect ride height. Not pristine. Single digit gas mileage would get a little old, but it'd be worth it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by woods View Post

                    Man. If I were to do it again, I'd rock something like that all day long. Just enough curves. Perfect ride height. Not pristine. Single digit gas mileage would get a little old, but it'd be worth it.
                    It is an IDI, not a 460, it will do a bit better than single digit on the fuel mileage...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by '84 Bronco II View Post

                      It is an IDI, not a 460, it will do a bit better than single digit on the fuel mileage...
                      Ah, I saw the 460 and jumped to the BBF conclusion. I know my 5.8 was getting 4mpg.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by woods View Post

                        Ah, I saw the 460 and jumped to the BBF conclusion. I know my 5.8 was getting 4mpg.
                        My IDI is more tractor then truck. It gets 14mpg at all times no matter what.
                        88 Ford F-turd50 IDI Crawler

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Toreadorranger View Post

                          My IDI is more tractor then truck. It gets 14mpg at all times no matter what.
                          Mine had 225k on the clock, 4.10s, hammered to shit, and a clapped out 5.8 that was driven by a fifteen year old that bought it from a town auction. Truck was a public works truck. didn't have an easy life.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by total newb View Post
                            I dont think sd oe spring should give much lift. They are flat as fuck.

                            Ill check with my buddy that has the axle and see what it has for springs.
                            It depends on the SD spring. The V codes are supposed to be pretty plush and low lift, the X-codes are the heaviest spring Ford used, and youll sit a full inch or so higher with them.

                            This is PMF's 2.25: S/R kit, with a set of X codes. Their kits, advertised kift heights are based off the V codes, so this is more like 3.5" of lift over stock.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	37595

                            Originally posted by total newb View Post
                            What are the small bullshit that will drag this out and slow down the swap?
                            I didnt see you mention the tracbar. I run the OE bar on mine, makes a big difference with the SD springs.
                            Last edited by reptillikus; 06-12-2020, 03:17 PM.
                            88 bronco // 96 bronco // 96 f250

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Is it that big of a deal? I figured with the better shackles it wouldnt be as wobbly
                              :ogre:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X