Explorer 5.0 PS pump

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Explorer 5.0 PS pump

    I'm have 99 explorer with a 5.0 and running a 2.5" full hydro ram. I am unable to find much info on the stock ps pump.

    Double ended ram effective piston area = 3.14 sqin
    Stroke = 8in
    Volume lock to lock = 25.12 cuin
    Orbital size = 7.33 cuin
    Turns lock to lock = 3.4

    It sees like being able to turn from center to full lock in 1 second would be about right.

    Required pump gpm for 1.5 turn per second = 2.9 gpm
    Required pump gpm for 2 turn per second = 3.8 gpm

    From what I can tell it's a TC style pump, which according to BV steering bible could be in the 2.4-2.8 gpm range, which might be ok, but I've also read it could be a lower output that the jeep specs in the bible.

    PSC didn't seem very interested in selling me a pump. They told me i might be able to fit their 1200 series, but that I'll burn them up really fast with full hydro.

    What other options are there? I've read a couple inconclusive threads CBR pump has the same mounting configuration as the TC pumps but has higher output flow and pressure.

    #2
    Why would you burn the 1200 series pumps out? That is what JR4X said he is running on their 4500 car with the kickass servo steering and 2.5" ram. I know 4.5 GPM is a bit much for your application since you are only needing ~3.3GPM, but I can't imagine it killing pumps just because you can't steer as fast as he can. I imagine with an appropriately sized cooler it should be fine.

    Since, you already have the Explorer pump, why not just see how it works with the ram before you decide whether it needs to be upgraded or not?

    Comment


      #3
      I don’t know why psc said they’re tc pump wouldn’t last. I’ve had on on another rig for 8yrs. Not real motivated to give them anymore money after that.

      i found a thread on classic bronco’s where they were swapping the internals from a super duty into the explorer housing, but there was no definitive answer on how much of an increase it provided.

      i understand, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, just trying to avoid doing things twice.

      Comment


        #4
        I believe solo Motorsports in ca I’ve seen on social media where they’ll rework ford factory power steering brackets to run Saginaw canned ham pumps. Which I believe will get you to a p-series pump.

        another option is wild horses sells this bracket to adapt it over. Again I believe you can get to p-series pump.

        https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...ER5ENGINEPARTS

        let me know what you end up doing as I’m getting ready to put an explorer front dress on my motor.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by MtnYota View Post
          I don’t know why psc said they’re tc pump wouldn’t last. I’ve had on on another rig for 8yrs. Not real motivated to give them anymore money after that.

          i found a thread on classic bronco’s where they were swapping the internals from a super duty into the explorer housing, but there was no definitive answer on how much of an increase it provided.

          i understand, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, just trying to avoid doing things twice.
          I can understand. It seems like a lot of the steering companies have their heads up their asses. It was amazing how they all told JR4X what he was doing wouldn't/couldn't work, and someone from one of the companies even started posting in his thread to tell him it doesn't work despite all the evidence and explanations JR4X posted to the contrary

          Do you have a link to the Classic Broncos thread you referenced? I have an Explorer 5.0L I bought complete recently, and will be running some sort of hydraulic assist on it, so I would be interested in seeing if I could potentially make the stock pump work for cheaper than an aftermarket one.

          Comment


            #6
            I've seen the wildhorses mount but that wont work until i decide to give up ac. I'll call Solo motorsports, but most likely I'll try the stock pump or try putting the 6.0 Superduty guts into the explorer pump housing like shown here:

            https://classicbroncos.com/forums/sh...40#post2497140

            Comment


              #7
              Yours looks like you might be able to basically bolt in a TC/CBR style pump. CBR pump seems like the way to go, I'll probably swap to that if I kill the mystery pump I found on my buddies parts shelf (Possible TG pump)

              Running a 2x8 assist ram with 38s
              Click image for larger version
Name:	IMG_20200518_092749686.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	33369

              Comment


                #8
                PSC at one time sold a modded Explorer pump, but it was a marginal improvement.
                I've already read about people doing that super duty swap, but I've also seen a lot of stock superduty pumps just suck ass too.
                Swap on an P pump with the Wild horses brackets.
                I run the explorer setup with a P pump on full hydro and it's great.

                Comment


                  #9
                  This appears to be a CBR pump that would have the correct orientation for the explorer. It's off a 2017 Duramax.
                  https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-23121.../dp/B014REPOS2

                  But I havn't found any data on the flowrate.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    CB should be fine for what you're after. About the easiest pump around to make a mounting bracket for. I ran two of them (2.75 DE cylinders, rear steer) for years on my buggy, will be running them again on my Jeep once it's put together. I run a single one on my 4Runner with 1.5" ram hydro assist.
                    Flow rate is better than the TC, but RPM limit is lower. IIRC, about 4ish GPM stock. I dismantle, tap the inlet for 1/2" pipe, adapt that to JIC-10, swap an Afco JIC-6 outlet fitting in, run a remote reservoir, pulley appropriate, etc. Stock application for the pumps I'm running is '93-ish Saturn.
                    Keep the pump shaft RPM under 7k, keep the pressure under 1400, run a decent cooler, I personally run Mobil1 0w20 for hydraulic fluid, and you should be in good shape.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I ordered the CBR pump from the 2017 Duramax. I found some pretty good info here:
                      https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cbr...tions.1131173/

                      I'm going to try and make the pump inlet -12 and i'm undecided on the outlet. The psc full hydro kit i have has -6 fittings for everything; however when you talk to psc they recommend -8 for the pump outlet and return from the orbital. I'm less and less impressed with them the more I deal with them.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MtnYota View Post
                        I ordered the CBR pump from the 2017 Duramax. I found some pretty good info here:
                        https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cbr...tions.1131173/

                        I'm going to try and make the pump inlet -12 and i'm undecided on the outlet. The psc full hydro kit i have has -6 fittings for everything; however when you talk to psc they recommend -8 for the pump outlet and return from the orbital. I'm less and less impressed with them the more I deal with them.
                        How much did that pump run? And how are you going to mount a pulley on it?


                        I'd love to get rid of my stock ford junk, for sure, and I've got hydroboost on two vehicles.

                        Screw Vertical Scope
                        Lugnut4x4.com

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I bought it from the amazon link above $153. Far as I can tell its a standard shaft size for a press on pully. Probably get a dorman unit off amazon for ~$30

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I recieved the pump today.

                            The inlet is a m16 x1.5 oring fitting, so i'll most likely adapt it to -6. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfn-sf02
                            Pump shaft is 0.663" so should be a standard press-on pulley like this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (<-I need to confirm)

                            I havn't messed with adjusting the front to back location to make sure the pulley lines up, but so far it's looking good. I had a slight interference shown below that I had to grind.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0453.png Views:	0 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	44274

                            One more interference here, although this may go away if the pump needs to be spaced back.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0459 with markup.png Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	44275

                            Tomorrow I'll take it to work to tap the inlet. I'm shooting to get a 3/4 npt in there. Tap drill size is 0.922 so it should work.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0460.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.4 KB ID:	44295
                            Last edited by MtnYota; 06-18-2020, 09:44 PM.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MtnYota View Post
                              I recieved the pump today.

                              The inlet is a m16 x1.5 oring fitting, so i'll most likely adapt it to -6. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfn-sf02
                              Pump shaft is 0.663" so should be a standard press-on pulley like this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (<-I need to confirm)

                              I havn't messed with adjusting the front to back location to make sure the pulley lines up, but so far it's looking good. I had a slight interference shown below that I had to grind.
                              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0453.png Views:	0 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	44274

                              One more interference here, although this may go away if the pump needs to be spaced back.
                              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0459 with markup.png Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	44275

                              Tomorrow I'll take it to work to tap the inlet. I'm shooting to get a 3/4 npt in there. Tap drill size is 0.922 so it should work.
                              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0460.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.4 KB ID:	44295
                              Any updates on this?

                              This looks promising and depending on your results, I might just go this route on my Explorer 5.0L

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X