What Phone do I Want? Replace a PRIV

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What Phone do I Want? Replace a PRIV

    If you keep buying the same phone every time you break one, eventually you'll have enough spare parts to make a complete phone.

    I think I've single-handedly kept the eBay and Swappa Blackberry PRIV market alive for the past few years. My latest conglomeration of PRIV parts needs a battery and I cracked its screen last week. PRIV is no longer supported, and getting slower each day.

    I love the PRIV's big screen and slide out physical keyboard.

    When the PRIV was discontinued and it was time to get a new work phone (I have 2 cell phones work & personal) I got a Blackberry KeyOne, because I still wanted a physical keyboard and Android.

    The KeyOne is okay, but its form factor leaves a lot to be desired, I much prefer the PRIV's full screen with slide out keyboard to the KeyOne's candybar style fixed keyboard and smaller screen. You can still find new KeyOnes on Amazon & eBay, but they were superseded a while back by the Key2 and lesser Key2 LE, same format as the KeyOne but newer, better, faster. I do like that I can get a unlocked, dual sim, "international" Key2, that would allow me to only carry one phone.

    I've been all over the Google, doesn't seem there are any other options for an unlocked and/or ATT smart phone with a physical keyboard.

    I'm not just a contemptible, old, fart that wants a physical keyboard on my phone. I'm a contemptible, old, fart that has essential tremors, and a physical keyboard is way easier for me to use than a touch screen.

    Anyone know of any other QWERTY keyboard Android phone that's still being supported by Android?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lee; 05-22-2020, 04:11 PM.

    #2
    Well I'm still rocking a BB Q10, so I know how you feel. I think this year I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and get something new, although it will likely be at the expense of any keyboard.

    Comment


      #3
      Click image for larger version
Name:	17841_460_m_e7ffdf0184b95294efefd19a39005239.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	8039 Click image for larger version
Name:	wholesale-electronics-TUD-A88-N1-plusbuyer.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	8040

      We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.

      Comment


        #4
        I did same thing for Sidekick, then Relay S. Now and still on Samsung S5. Took long time to get used to qwerty-less phone.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by subybaja View Post
          Click image for larger version  Name:	17841_460_m_e7ffdf0184b95294efefd19a39005239.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.9 KB ID:	8039 Click image for larger version  Name:	wholesale-electronics-TUD-A88-N1-plusbuyer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.7 KB ID:	8040
          Yeah, that's just something else to have to charge, and force you to have your bluetooth on and connected to full time. Neat idea, but not practical.

          Originally posted by What?
          I did same thing for Sidekick, then Relay S. Now and still on Samsung S5. Took long time to get used to qwerty-less phone.
          I had an old Samsung slider QWERTY before this that was well past its prime, but I rooted and put a slimmed down later version Android OS on. I haven't looked at XDA to see what options are available for the PRIV, I mostly just want to buy something that works, not have another project.
          Last edited by Lee; 05-22-2020, 09:55 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            The PRIV is practically unusable now, I've been doing a lot of research, I narrowed it down to Pixel or Nokia. Unfortunately none of Nokia's mid level Androids have optical image stabilization anymore, sad because that's what they used to be known for. Pixel 3a recently got the axe, 4 is current model, and its 4a replacement isn't rumored to be available until October. Will probably be able to snag a cheap Pixel 4 when the 4a hits the market, but I can't wait that long.

            I gave in,and just ordered a refurbished Pixel 3a from eBay, it doesn't have a physical keyboard, and I have apprehensions.

            I just couldn't bring myself to drop $500+ for a Key2.

            Hopefully I can adjust the touch sensitivity low enough to avoid inadvertent double taps.

            Comment


              #7
              Pixel 3xl is pretty sweet! Going on 1.5 years for me seems to be holding up.well. Google scam call phone screening is worth it!

              Comment


                #8
                I use two Dixie cups and a string.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Here, Indiegogo for a smartphone with a real keyboard.

                  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...23dsa.fnd.to#/

                  Click image for larger version
Name:	oudyr0z5qgluhra07l9j.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	202790

                  We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by subybaja View Post
                    Here, Indiegogo for a smartphone with a real keyboard.
                    $679 seems a little steep but it does look like a pretty solid setup especially with the OS choices it has. Of course I suppose many other phones cost even more so maybe I'm just a cheapskate.
                    Imagine, if you will, a porcupine with dildos for quills, and it can fly.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The PRIV was around $600 when it was released, I bought it after it'd been out for about a year for about 1/2 that.

                      I'm not so interested in a crowd funded phone. Glad someone is keeping the dream alive though. I'm hoping that OnwardMobility comes out with a PRIV successor, something better than the KeyOne and Key2. OnwardMobility has licensed the Blackberry name, is working with Foxconn, and is supposed to have new Blackberries for 2021.

                      Currently still using the Pixel 3a mentioned above, the camera is amazing and the battery life is awesome, I do miss my QWERTY, but Google Assistant voice to text works A LOT better on the Pixel than it ever did on the PRIV or KeyOne.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        FYI - I bought a Google Pixel 5 since this was originally posted. It's actually pretty good.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          What the? I got 99 problems but I feel a bit better knowing this \/ ain't one of them. I like my S8.



                          Originally posted by Lee View Post
                          If you keep buying the same phone every time you break one, eventually you'll have enough spare parts to make a complete phone.

                          I think I've single-handedly kept the eBay and Swappa Blackberry PRIV market alive for the past few years. My latest conglomeration of PRIV parts needs a battery and I cracked its screen last week. PRIV is no longer supported, and getting slower each day.

                          I love the PRIV's big screen and slide out physical keyboard.

                          When the PRIV was discontinued and it was time to get a new work phone (I have 2 cell phones work & personal) I got a Blackberry KeyOne, because I still wanted a physical keyboard and Android.

                          The KeyOne is okay, but its form factor leaves a lot to be desired, I much prefer the PRIV's full screen with slide out keyboard to the KeyOne's candybar style fixed keyboard and smaller screen. You can still find new KeyOnes on Amazon & eBay, but they were superseded a while back by the Key2 and lesser Key2 LE, same format as the KeyOne but newer, better, faster. I do like that I can get a unlocked, dual sim, "international" Key2, that would allow me to only carry one phone.

                          I've been all over the Google, doesn't seem there are any other options for an unlocked and/or ATT smart phone with a physical keyboard.

                          I'm not just a contemptible, old, fart that wants a physical keyboard on my phone. I'm a contemptible, old, fart that has essential tremors, and a physical keyboard is way easier for me to use than a touch screen.

                          Anyone know of any other QWERTY keyboard Android phone that's still being supported by Android?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Just bite the bullet and go with a factory Samsung A70. Great camera, great graphics, big screen, dual sim, cheap, and you'll eventually get used to the virtual keyboard. If you have to have a physical keyboard, this can charge as a pass through:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                              FYI - I bought a Google Pixel 5 since this was originally posted. It's actually pretty good.
                              that's my next phone I'm pretty sure. Pixel 2 is going on year 3 and starting have a few issues. Nokia is alos on my radar but really like the Pixel5.
                              ....Just Add Lightness...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X