Scary Thought: Education

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Scary Thought: Education

    Hopefully an unattainable scenario played out in my mind the other day as I drove by my kids' elementary school.

    This virus is not going away. A cure-all vaccine is most likely unlikely. My wife informed me that apparently there's another Swine Flu getting stirred up and Fauci is panicked? I don't know.

    What I started thinking about was the end of public schooling. It's not that great to begin with, but kids get to socialize, they're in a structured setting, and there are some positives to it. But, what if there was a push to completely end it. A small panel of teachers could teach the entire U.S. population. The rest of the teachers could apply to a call center where kids could call-in and ask questions.

    The scary thing about this is, it would solve the issue of inner city and very rural schools that suffer from funding issues. Across the board children everywhere would be receiving the same level of education. It could potentially solve the majority of issues with the public school system. Have they been pushing for this under the radar with the want/need to have internet available to every home?

    Maybe the tinfoil is too tight, but anymore anything seems possible.

    What's IBB's thoughts on this?


    #2
    Mass indoctrination. Tinfoil.

    I have two kids in primary school and my wife is a college professor. Don't see it happening.

    A friend of mine teaches kindergarten in a small city school. When school shut down they had to buy 4000 laptops for kids to use, then many of them had no access to the internet. There is also a large immigrant population. Not only are most of these parents non-English speaking, some are only verbally literate meaning they only speak and hear in their native language but can't read or write it.

    Comment


      #3
      The thing about sending our kids off to school in the morning is that is also frees the parents so they can go to work.
      Online teaching wasn't a complete failure over here but definitely no substitute to having kids attend school physically.

      I predict western world educational systems will turn even more to online teaching going forward, both in school and at home.

      Kids will adapt, us older fawktards will be less able to keep up with the crap they're teaching our kids. I have a 12 y.o. and I am at times appalled at the shit quality of what his school is presenting as educational tools.
      More and more parents will distance themselves from their kids' education and kids will eventually collectively get dumber for it.
      Jack of all trades, master of fuck all.

      Comment


        #4
        All I know is that unless our school lightens up on,
        Classroom masks, no recess, no PE, 100% of their day spent in one room, and distancing, they're not going back to school. I'm not putting them in prison 5 days a week.
        I'm not a fan of homeschooling for the social aspect but it may come to that.
        I feel for the parents that both work, and not from home.
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
        Live your life as the free human you are. You are beholden to no tyrannical "authority".

        Comment


          #5
          All you people bitching about the 'social aspect' of school need to get a grip.


          You know how homeschool kids socialize? By emulating their parents. When you take your kids places, they get to 'socialize' with all age groups and lifestyles of people. It's pretty awesome.



          The only downside is a lack of team sports, but as long as the parents care (and try) homeschooling wins every time.
          Screw Vertical Scope
          Lugnut4x4.com

          Comment


            #6
            Got my Bachelor's in Ele Ed.

            I'll gladly home school over what is being taught in the classroom.

            When I was in student teaching, I was warned not to bring up subjects like 9/11, slavery, or any wars. Act as though they never occurred. I cracked open a history book and on the back page it was the Amendments. 2nd read, and I'm not joking here, American farmers have the right to use muskets to defend their farmland against the invading British.

            Be involved with your children's education.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by woods View Post
              Be involved with your children's education.
              QFT.
              Amazes me how people nowadays get all pissy and claim "that's what schools are for. I ain't got time for all that"
              Well then maybe you shouldn't have been so eager to breed your goddamned fuck trophies, dumbfuck.
              Jack of all trades, master of fuck all.

              Comment


                #8
                To many people it's simply free daycare, they don't care beyond that.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by woods View Post
                  Got my Bachelor's in Ele Ed.

                  I'll gladly home school over what is being taught in the classroom.

                  When I was in student teaching, I was warned not to bring up subjects like 9/11, slavery, or any wars. Act as though they never occurred. I cracked open a history book and on the back page it was the Amendments. 2nd read, and I'm not joking here, American farmers have the right to use muskets to defend their farmland against the invading British.

                  Be involved with your children's education.
                  We are.

                  I can remember one time we were watching a very detailed, graphic WWII documentary, and my oldest kid was not interested at all in seeing the details. I let him know that he WILL be required to learn and witness a lot of atrocities from human history, and that I find it to be one of the most important things to learn and not forget. We definitely do not hide history from our children and we teach them as much as we can. At 10 and 6, it's hard to convey some things, but my oldest kid is finally asking some serious questions about politics, the constitution, bill of rights, etcetera.

                  All I know is what I have learned over the past 36 years. This new bullshit education is foreign to me.

                  I have noticed some things they've been trying to do with our kids' education. Specifically about the environment. My kid came home one day and went on a rant about how this and that was toxic to the environment and we should stop doing stuff to destroy it. I simply said to him, "You know that 2-stroke ATV you like riding around the yard? You'll have to stop doing that as it pollutes the air as much, if not more, than everything you just mentioned." He took some time to ask questions about what he was learning after that.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Pt_Ranger_v8 View Post
                    All you people bitching about the 'social aspect' of school need to get a grip.


                    You know how homeschool kids socialize? By emulating their parents. When you take your kids places, they get to 'socialize' with all age groups and lifestyles of people. It's pretty awesome.



                    The only downside is a lack of team sports, but as long as the parents care (and try) homeschooling wins every time.
                    And that's why home schooled kids are usually the weird ones. Kids need to grow up figuring shit out with thier friends and maturing with them. Parents should just guide them in the right direction.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Private education should be the only education. All public schools should be closed and disbanded.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Pt_Ranger_v8 View Post
                        All you people bitching about the 'social aspect' of school need to get a grip.

                        You know how homeschool kids socialize? By emulating their parents. When you take your kids places, they get to 'socialize' with all age groups and lifestyles of people. It's pretty awesome.

                        The only downside is a lack of team sports, but as long as the parents care (and try) homeschooling wins every time.
                        Every home school kid I met was socially inept, just like their parents. I'll go as far to say that private school kids are also shielded from the real world.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Will12785 View Post
                          Private education should be the only education. All public schools should be closed and disbanded.
                          I think that this could be regional. Our local place keeps you daily updates on the lessons and direct contact with teachers. You are almost expected to be involved. The school even has a "Hunter's Corner" where they display kids from successful hunts. And if you get your picture hung there, its really notable.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Home schooling doesn't "win" in every situation. That is absurd.

                            Many, if not most parents, cannot and do not have the knowledge, skill, patience, etc. to teach EVERY subject, at a high level, to their students/kids. I would bet most parents cannot do math at a 6th grade level well enough to teach it and just like any other skill you learn, you are better doing something the more you do it. Home schooled kids get the one shot from mom or dad whereas a classroom teacher will increase their level of skill, learn from other teachers, etc.

                            Home schooled kids are also the kids that have parents that thing that their kid is somehow special, unique, and not suitable for public school with their germs, minorities, and inept teachers.

                            There are some of those things and not all good. Putting your kid ina bubble where only mom and/or dad are your arbitors of success and probably rarely any failures is more dangerous that germs, minorities and a bad teacher here and there.

                            Factor in the social aspects that accompany going to school, learning how to deal with people (good and bad), learning to adapt to different people's requirements (multiple teachers/bosses), etc. and being in school offers more that the 3 Rs and sports.

                            I know quite a few people that home schooled and every single one of them put their kids in school in 3rd-5th grades. Each of them were pleased with their decision to integrate them. Kids were happier and learned much more.
                            Long Days and Pleasant Nights

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by FleshEater View Post
                              Hopefully an unattainable scenario played out in my mind the other day as I drove by my kids' elementary school.

                              This virus is not going away. A cure-all vaccine is most likely unlikely. My wife informed me that apparently there's another Swine Flu getting stirred up and Fauci is panicked? I don't know.

                              What I started thinking about was the end of public schooling. It's not that great to begin with, but kids get to socialize, they're in a structured setting, and there are some positives to it. But, what if there was a push to completely end it. A small panel of teachers could teach the entire U.S. population. The rest of the teachers could apply to a call center where kids could call-in and ask questions.

                              The scary thing about this is, it would solve the issue of inner city and very rural schools that suffer from funding issues. Across the board children everywhere would be receiving the same level of education. It could potentially solve the majority of issues with the public school system. Have they been pushing for this under the radar with the want/need to have internet available to every home?

                              Maybe the tinfoil is too tight, but anymore anything seems possible.

                              What's IBB's thoughts on this?

                              Generally, it's a great idea for schools to go digital.
                              I think the school system is a dinosaur. Scary forward thinking: Kids can even just take online classes and either take online tests, or go the "school" for the tests once a month. On "testing day" other things could happen face to face.

                              If we shift the socializing away from School, toward extra curr activities or activities completely outside of schools, that would suffice (or even be better, because school kids are way to preoccupied with emotions and the other sex and well, sex...)

                              I full support your theory.


                              Covid IS the motor behind these thoughts though. And it is going to go away. I will say at the current level of stupidity: 1.5 years.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X