Shocking a well

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Shocking a well

    I get my well water tested every spring, been good for years. I have iron filter, water softener, UV light/filter and RO drinking water filter system. I send in a sample from the RO drinking water. Got test result this morning. They say theat I have bacteria in my water that makes it so they can't test for ecoli until that bacteria is cleared up. I read online today that wells should be shocked/chlorinated eveery 3-5 years....I never have in 12 years I have been here. Good idea?...Experiences with this.

    #2
    There's no reason not to do it. Toss a cup of bleach in, let it sit for the day while you're gone, then run the well for a couple hours watering the grass/trees/whatever. It will not hurt.

    Comment


      #3
      I havent done it but it could take a lot more than a cup of bleach. Research it, but you should know your well casing and wetted filter pack (if any) volume. A cup of 7% bleach in 20 feet of water column of 4-inch well is not the same as a cup in a 100 feet of 6-inch water column. And you can test the CL- with a simple pool test kit to monitor the residual left until better for drinking or house use.

      https://inspectapedia.com/water/Well..._Procedure.php
      Last edited by Splib; 06-16-2020, 07:45 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Scott Cee aka 2drx4 View Post
        There's no reason not to do it. Toss a cup of bleach in, let it sit for the day while you're gone, then run the well for a couple hours watering the grass/trees/whatever. It will not hurt.
        I read also that you should put the bleach in, run it up through the system and then let is sit , then flush out. I take it that is what you mean.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by poncho62 View Post

          I read also that you should put the bleach in, run it up through the system and then let is sit , then flush out. I take it that is what you mean.
          Yeah, if you run it a bit right away it will get into the pump, pipe, pressure tank, etc. Which will kill anything in there. So that's definitely worth doing at that point. Just make sure you let it sit for long enough, and then flush the shit out of everything afterwards. You need to make sure you've completely cycled the water in the well a couple times.

          Comment


            #6
            Make sure the bacteria isn't from a fouled filter. Definitely want to disinfect the entire system up to the RO. Seems odd that the lab said they couldn't test for E.Coli though. Do you have a copy of the results? Maybe the result was Total Coliform positive but E.Coli negative? Details please and thank you

            Comment


              #7
              https://www.coteychemical.com/welgicide-cleaner/
              picture of well and pumping system?

              Comment


                #8
                Another thought, make sure some varmit like field mice or similar havent fallen in and spoiled the party. Any opening with any access will be used when it's hot out. Unlikely as you have had the same set up for years . . . ..

                Comment


                  #9
                  I go through about 4-5 of these treatment packs a year. Drop 1/2 the pellets in for long term release, then the powder in before bed for immediate treatment. Once the powder is in we open all the faucets in the house and when we smell it coming out turn them off to sit in the lines overnight.
                  America is all about speed, hot nasty bad ass speed.
                  -Elenore Roosevelt

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I had to shock my well before I bought this house, as it failed the ecoli test. Shut the water off to the water softener and the RO system, poured a gallon of bleach into the well, and flushed all the toilets, ran all the faucets till I smelled bleach coming out, then shut them all off. I let it sit for 24 hours, went back out, and ran the hose outside till I couldn't smell bleach anymore, then went in and flushed out my lines inside, then turned the RO A
                    and water softener back on ( by turned on, I had bypassed them with the bypass valves) bleach will kill an RO and screw up a water softener system. Tested again, and it was good.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I feel like those well water managing companies are sorta selling snake oil to some folks. I have a weird system with a bunch of filters and a UV filter, the UV filter had an alarm saying it was -ast due to change so I took it out and looked up a new one and 100 bucks,,, fuck that was 2 years ago, water tastes the same

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Fullsize80cherokee View Post
                        I feel like those well water managing companies are sorta selling snake oil to some folks. I have a weird system with a bunch of filters and a UV filter, the UV filter had an alarm saying it was -ast due to change so I took it out and looked up a new one and 100 bucks,,, fuck that was 2 years ago, water tastes the same
                        You can't taste bacteria

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by M92PV4U View Post

                          You can't taste bacteria
                          you can tell on the other end though...
                          ....Just Add Lightness...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hell Yes, do it. It can help with the Iron bacteria as well. This is the way I use to do it when I worked in well service.


                            Comment


                              #15
                              Did not read the thread!
                              have worked h2o treatment We use pool chlorine...
                              1-2 gal big\deep = more!
                              Dump in , and circulate thru the systems and back into the well head.
                              Half a day (it's gunna knock the shit outta your filters.
                              purge the house till ya smell chlorine, let sit .
                              Flush well into yard FIRST.
                              Then rinse the house out.
                              Your carbon filters are DEAD!
                              Recycle your equipment twice back 2 back!

                              Try a sample from the raw water and finish water first and after, inform the facility how and why you are doing this!
                              Are you doing a 502?
                              83, 22re,w56,ultimate duals,4:10 \31" arbs.
                              hopes to grow up someday

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X