Refinishing a wall after water damage.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Refinishing a wall after water damage.

    I had a pipe blow up on me while I wasn't home and run for a solid hour before coming home to a soaking wet basement. Thankfully its not too too bad.

    The house is a split level with a finished basement and the pipe that broke was basically at landing level.

    My plan is to rip out all the sheet rock on around the landing and on the wall going down the side of the house that its on. Then I will hit everything with killz, then paint with foundation sealer, and frame the new wall with metal studs.

    Ive never used metal studs before, but I think they will do better up against the foundation block.

    Does this seem like the correct course of action?

    Click image for larger version
Name:	20200614_154516.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	40975

    Click image for larger version
Name:	20200615_205213.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	40976

    Click image for larger version
Name:	20200614_194624.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	40977

    #2
    g90 studs against any concrete block
    or a layer of peel and stick between the block and g60 or lessor galvanized grade studs.
    otherwise your course of action is correct.
    add some ridgid insulation as well.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jeeptj19992001 View Post
      g90 studs against any concrete block
      or a layer of peel and stick between the block and g60 or lessor galvanized grade studs.
      otherwise your course of action is correct.
      add some ridgid insulation as well.
      Thanks. Would the peel and stick stick be the sealer? Or would I put it on over the sealer?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Will12785 View Post

        Thanks. Would the peel and stick stick be the sealer? Or would I put it on over the sealer?
        over the block sealer. the peel and stick prevents corrosion between the concrete and steel studs.
        more of a belt / suspenders thing.

        Comment


          #5
          Put some fans or a dehumidifier in there for 2x what feels like the necessary length and throw sheet rock back over those studs if they have never given you problems before

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by 2big bronco View Post
            Put some fans or a dehumidifier in there for 2x what feels like the necessary length and throw sheet rock back over those studs if they have never given you problems before
            As cheap and easy as that would be, I tend to go overboard on everything.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by 2big bronco View Post
              Put some fans or a dehumidifier in there for 2x what feels like the necessary length and throw sheet rock back over those studs if they have never given you problems before
              ^this, if you do not have constant moisture problems it will be fine once dry. kilz will not help anything in that situation. Just dry it well for about a month.

              Comment


                #8
                i'm not sure why you would rip out the existing wood studs unless they have rot. no reason to put in new studs or metal studs. dry it with fans for a week, seal it with killz, put in new drywall and finish it out to match.


                Up is difficult, down is dangerous

                Comment


                  #9
                  If there is no rot, leave the studs. Buy a moisture meter, run the dehumidifier and use the moisture meter to check levels in the area until they are normalized with the rest of the house. Then reassemble as it was before.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Squamch View Post
                    If there is no rot, leave the studs. Buy a moisture meter, run the dehumidifier and use the moisture meter to check levels in the area until they are normalized with the rest of the house. Then reassemble as it was before.
                    this x4 or whatever.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X