Kamado Joe

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Kamado Joe

    I need a smoker.
    Don't have time to make one. Been eyeing the kamado joe charcoal smoker. What do I need to know? Of course I think i need the biggest one, got a family of five. Looking to smoke brisket, pork , chicken or whatever. Are they worth the money? From the side by side comparison withe BGE, the joe seems better but lookin for someone with real experience with either.

    #2
    Aren't the Kamado Joe's just a ceramic charcoal grill and not a smoker? I haven't used a ceramic type grill so I can't comment on that.

    As far as smokers, you can't beat the big iron wood burning smokers for truly smoking meats. A lot of time and effort required.

    I have used the traeger pellet smoker and it was one of the easiest to use. I have a propane smoker that works pretty damn well and is only slightly more work since you hav to add chips periodically and tend to your food. I mainly use the propane smoker now. I also built a wood or charcoal burning chamber smoker out of an old boiler, but you will need to dedicate more effort to that one.

    Comment


      #3
      Build your own.

      I can’t speak to the ceramic coated grills.


      Traeger grills are nice because you can set it, and pretty much walk away. I haven’t been that impressed with temperature control on the one I have used.

      I prefer to do brisket, pork butts, etc. using a wood fired smoker. Built the one I have using 1/4” thick pipe a few years back. The fire box is starting to show its age, so I will probably end up redoing that part in a year or so. There are plenty of online tools that allow you to calculate air flow, smoke stack size, etc.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Wheelerfreak View Post
        Aren't the Kamado Joe's just a ceramic charcoal grill and not a smoker? I haven't used a ceramic type grill so I can't comment on that.

        As far as smokers, you can't beat the big iron wood burning smokers for truly smoking meats. A lot of time and effort required.

        I have used the traeger pellet smoker and it was one of the easiest to use. I have a propane smoker that works pretty damn well and is only slightly more work since you hav to add chips periodically and tend to your food. I mainly use the propane smoker now. I also built a wood or charcoal burning chamber smoker out of an old boiler, but you will need to dedicate more effort to that one.
        Probably isn't technically a smoker. I thought about a pellet type too. I just want to smoke my own stuff instead of hitting up the BBQ place two towns over. Thought the ceramic type did that. I have the weber gas grill for quick meals, need something else.

        Comment


          #5
          If you're looking to smoke and not grill I'd look at a propane smoker. It's usually the cheapest to get into and does a good job of smoking if you put in the effort. Traegers are a lot more expensive and building your own may be better left to after you decide you are really into it.

          Comment


            #6
            I have a traeger and have used it a lot. If you aren’t a hardcore smoker guy, I’d say get a pellet smoker. There are a lot of knockoff pellet grills now. So you don’t have to pay the name premium. When I do ribs I usually put them in on straight smoke for three hours. Then pull em off and wrap em in foil and stick em in the oven for six hours at 250 degrees. They come out juicy and fall off the bone. They are as good as any I’ve had in bbq places.

            Comment


              #7
              I have one, mine is the Primo brand but Joe, Primo, and BGE all the same shit.

              It is the BEST FUCKING cooking machine in the fucking world, period.

              Wanna smoke a brisket for 16 hours without fucking with anythign, done

              Wanna cook a thick ass ribeye at 800 degrees, done.

              Get it, it fucking rocks!

              Don't listen to anyone who doesn't have one, they know not of what they speak.

              I have had mine for 6 years or so and still use it every week year round.

              I occasionally use my propane just to cook something easy up but that is it.

              i got rid of all my other grills after I got my Primo and will never need another grill again.

              Comment


                #8
                . neighbor just sold.his Kamado Joe and got a RecTec after eating the first brisket brisket i cooked on my green mountain pellet grill. I'd probably pony up for the RecTec after helping him put it together

                Comment


                  #9
                  Listen to Crispns, I will second everything he has said. I can slow cook/smoke at 225, for an entire day without adding charcoal or messing with the fire in anyway. Or I can cook a pizza at 600. I have an electric, propane, and a pellet cooker. The BGE is the most versatile and best flavor.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by crispins View Post
                    I have one, mine is the Primo brand but Joe, Primo, and BGE all the same shit.

                    It is the BEST FUCKING cooking machine in the fucking world, period.

                    Wanna smoke a brisket for 16 hours without fucking with anythign, done

                    Wanna cook a thick ass ribeye at 800 degrees, done.

                    Get it, it fucking rocks!

                    Don't listen to anyone who doesn't have one, they know not of what they speak.

                    I have had mine for 6 years or so and still use it every week year round.

                    I occasionally use my propane just to cook something easy up but that is it.

                    i got rid of all my other grills after I got my Primo and will never need another grill again.
                    Fuck. Been researching pellet grills for the past two hours! Good traeger is $1k! Everything rusts to shit here, would imagine not much to rust in the ceramic egg.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Lowes has the joe classic 18" for 750 bucks

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have a Kamado, it smokes way better than it grills. Cold weather it's a little bit harder to keep temps. I used the Cowboy hardwood charcoal and whatever flavor hardwood chunks and have done many mouthwatering meals on it. I use the Gas grill for burgers and steaks. I highly recommend it. More work than a pellet grill but more time to drink beer and, "cook." Have had it going on seven years, replaced the main seal once...took ten minutes.
                        Last edited by Slammed&cammed; 06-05-2020, 01:40 AM. Reason: Speeling

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thanks for the input. Im going to get an 18" joe and see how it works out.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by RusM View Post
                            . neighbor just sold.his Kamado Joe and got a RecTec after eating the first brisket brisket i cooked on my green mountain pellet grill. I'd probably pony up for the RecTec after helping him put it together
                            I will 2nd this guy, I have a Green Mountain and really like it. It is pretty cheap feeling, just like a Traeger, but it had the fancy Wi-Fi stuff and was cheaper. I think it was 700 out the door with a cover and the winter insulated blanket deal. The next level up is the Rec Tec and Yoder pellet smokers, much better compenents and a lot thicker material.

                            I would also like to try a ceramic cooker too, I have heard the same thing Crispins is staying from numerous friends.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I've got a komado (Bayou Classic) and it gets used 2-3 times a week year round. Love it is an understatement. Smoking ribs or steaks @ 700 degrees. Initial cost seemed ridiculous, but over the last 8 years its been used as much as any other kitchen appliance.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X