Unconventional Living?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Unconventional Living?

    Who else said fuck you to conventional living?

    I'm 43, my wife and I have two kids, they're both out (we started young). We sold all of our shit and now live in a 5th wheel.

    My wife is retired Army, 22 years. I followed her around and am now in a spot where I'm 11 years away from my pension check.

    We put our stuff in storage and started in a travel trailer then upgraded once we were sure we liked it. We've been out of a house for over 2 years now and still loving it. I've never had so much free time and lack of responsibility. I fill my time with small hobbies, bonsai trees, telescope, kayak fishing, biking, hell I even trained for and finished my first marathon in January.

    Once I'm done, we're gonna hit the open road until we find a spot to make a "base" and possibly build a small house or duplex.

    Chime in vagabonds.


    #2
    Originally posted by Ted_Kaczynski View Post
    Who else said fuck you to conventional living?

    the real ted kaczynski did and look how he ended up
    Byro-
    Nothing is for sale man, I’m a curator of the finest junk.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Ted_Kaczynski View Post
      Unconventional Living?




      Trailer trash?


      Sounds like you got your house in order. Stay active, fix the leaks in the roof, post on irate.


      That about cover it?

      Comment


        #4
        Thread title and your User Name had me a little on edge there...

        i look forward to something like this in retirement.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Arickvan View Post

          the real ted kaczynski did and look how he ended up
          I am more or less "get the fuck off my lawn" and hate technology after working on the shit for over 2 decades. Sadly I can relate to the mostly sane parts of ol Ted hence the username.

          Comment


            #6
            My wife and I are saving like crazy and trying to fulltime-RV in early retirement. Supposed to be in 5 years, but we'll see if that works out. Anyway, I like your style, and hope to emulate it. Neither of us have pensions, so it's just savings that will have to cover it until we can start pulling from 401k in a long time. Of course, to get this done, I'd also have to empty out 2000 sqft of shop, condense the toys down to a small enclosed trailer, and hope for the best.

            Comment


              #7
              I did it for several years.

              I much prefer my little minimalist log cabin.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
                My wife and I are saving like crazy and trying to fulltime-RV in early retirement. Supposed to be in 5 years, but we'll see if that works out. Anyway, I like your style, and hope to emulate it. Neither of us have pensions, so it's just savings that will have to cover it until we can start pulling from 401k in a long time. Of course, to get this done, I'd also have to empty out 2000 sqft of shop, condense the toys down to a small enclosed trailer, and hope for the best.
                Getting rid of all the shit was the most liberating thing. We made money selling our house, pretty much gave away the "stuff". I literally paid a guy $180 to haul boxes of new clothes and other stuff to a church...and I fucking enjoyed it lmao. Once you get your mind and goals aligned it gets easy.

                If you plan to try to make some cash selling your stuff, plan way ahead with an auction or estate sale. Craigslist and Offerup from storage is a losing game not worth your time.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
                  I'd also have to empty out 2000 sqft of shop, \
                  you got anything good?
                  Byro-
                  Nothing is for sale man, I’m a curator of the finest junk.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    there's a transmission sitting on my coffee table.... so that might be unconventional
                    - Buck

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Yes sir.....

                      Wife, 2 full size dogs and I moved to Texas 4yrs ago for my job. At the time it was still a "let's see what happens with the new shop" kind of thing so I was leery about buying a house here and didn't want to rent one and pay someone else's mortgage. We found a bad ass upscale RV resort a few towns away, bought a slightly used 42' 5th wheel and started living there. Plan was to move into a house once my job settled down. Welp, 3yrs later we still live there and love it. It's got everything...... Lake, Olympic pool, hot tub, sauna, gym, tennis/basket ball courts, dog park, impeccable grounds keeping and I do ZERO maintenance other than keeping the camper clean and waxed. I even have daily trash and propane pickup.

                      We have contemplated moving into a house a few times but its soooo cheap to live like this, and we are not lacking anything, so why bother. I'm lucky enough to have shop and storage space at work so I dont even really need my own shop. The bonus to this is the amount of money we have managed to save in the 4yrs. A couple more years in the RV and we will be able to buy pretty much any house we want around here for cash money.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Action Fab View Post
                        I did it for several years.

                        I much prefer my little minimalist log cabin.
                        that's what i'm shooting for.

                        though the compromise on how minimalist the retirement house with the wife will probably upsize it a bit. I don't mind having a space to work on random projects, keeps me sane-ish.

                        what the hell in conventional living, anyways?


                        edit: i guess living out of an RV is probably not nearly as shit a proposition when it isn't just a side effect of being poor


                        Up is difficult, down is dangerous

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
                          Yes sir.....

                          Wife, 2 full size dogs and I moved to Texas 4yrs ago for my job. At the time it was still a "let's see what happens with the new shop" kind of thing so I was leery about buying a house here and didn't want to rent one and pay someone else's mortgage. We found a bad ass upscale RV resort a few towns away, bought a slightly used 42' 5th wheel and started living there. Plan was to move into a house once my job settled down. Welp, 3yrs later we still live there and love it. It's got everything...... Lake, Olympic pool, hot tub, sauna, gym, tennis/basket ball courts, dog park, impeccable grounds keeping and I do ZERO maintenance other than keeping the camper clean and waxed. I even have daily trash and propane pickup.

                          We have contemplated moving into a house a few times but its soooo cheap to live like this, and we are not lacking anything, so why bother. I'm lucky enough to have shop and storage space at work so I dont even really need my own shop. The bonus to this is the amount of money we have managed to save in the 4yrs. A couple more years in the RV and we will be able to buy pretty much any house we want around here for cash money.
                          Trailer Trash...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ted_Kaczynski View Post

                            Trailer Trash...
                            Yep, and loving it.

                            Best part..... If you don't like the neighborhood or neighbour all ya got to do is pull up the jacks and roll on out. Cant do that shit with a house.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Ted_Kaczynski View Post

                              Trailer Trash...
                              Nope. They pick that up for him too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X