Interior tech

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Interior tech

    I'm gonna be tackling my Headliner in the fsj soon and need to know what adhesive to use. The Headliner is backer board with fabric glued to it.

    Same question for recovering my dash pad. It's vinyl and I'll just recover it with vinyl.

    #2
    Elmers Glue

    Comment


      #3
      What kind of backer board is it? Sometimes it's not so much the glue as it is preparing the surface. On my Ramcharger there is a fiber board that looks like compressed fiberglass insulation that originally had a cushy foam layer between the board and the fabric. Once that foam dries out and crumbles, the fabric comes loose. Since the decaying foam makes a powdery, flaky mess, it's hard to get any glue to stick to the board. We typically paint the board to seal it and provide a smooth surface to glue the fabric to. Just my .02
      1988 Dodge Ramcharger 2018 Ram 2500-Sleipnir
      Odin Owns Ye All

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Elwenil View Post
        What kind of backer board is it? Sometimes it's not so much the glue as it is preparing the surface. On my Ramcharger there is a fiber board that looks like compressed fiberglass insulation that originally had a cushy foam layer between the board and the fabric. Once that foam dries out and crumbles, the fabric comes loose. Since the decaying foam makes a powdery, flaky mess, it's hard to get any glue to stick to the board. We typically paint the board to seal it and provide a smooth surface to glue the fabric to. Just my .02
        This is what I do, I also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The nice thing about the 3 M is it gives you a little time to work and to pull back reposition if needed. I can't really comment on the dash pad but I would imagine it would work fine as long as the original had 0% wax, grease or Armor All type stuff left on it.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Lawless View Post

          This is what I do, I also use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. The nice thing about the 3 M is it gives you a little time to work and to pull back reposition if needed. .
          X2 -- this is what I've used.

          Comment


            #6
            Another vote for 3M Super 77. Good stuff

            Comment


              #7
              https://www.joann.com/headliner-spray-glue/7795040.html

              this is glue, strong stuff.

              if I went 3m I wouldn't do 77, it's not the strongest.
              and you can buy new foam material at the joaan fabric. they literally sell it as headliner material.

              if you want it to be like it was.
              Last edited by 87manche; 05-24-2020, 10:02 AM.
              Penguins can't fly, I can't fly, therefore I am a penguin.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by 87manche View Post
                3m.

                and you can buy new foam material at the joaan fabric. they literally sell it as headliner material.

                if you want it to be like it was.
                spray dash, add foam, spray vinyl/top fabric, add to foam, tuck edges, trim with chrome


                Up is difficult, down is dangerous

                Comment


                  #9
                  Another vote for 3M super77... my little van build is built with that, and that stuff worked VERY well. Do be sort of generous with it.
                  All of my fabric was glued to 1/8" panel that had a sort of sheen to them. The off the shelf stuff from el depo. Everything in the pic was super 77'd to the panels/ box's. It doesn't off gas for very long either... another plus!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X