What's new

Unit Bearing tech/interchange - Help me add to this

They don't disassemble them.
They buy the bearing packs directly from Timken.

exemple pic :

1706642815232.png

This is 94-98 dodge UB, on 99 style Ford beam axle. Which is the same as the 4x4 axles. Those parts are for sure interchangeable.

I run dodge unit bearings on my 4 banger rear steer rig, with good results.

Dodge stuff doesn’t need hubs, and doesn’t need high steer. They’re high steer already. I’d love to get my hands on the late model ram stuff. The stubs are bigger, and stronger than the 33 spline stuff I run.
I'll have to go check your thread to see if the details are there, but figured I'd ask what brakes you're using with this setup? Just off the shelf 94-98 Dodge?

I'll have to go check your thread to see if the details are there, but figured I'd ask what brakes you're using with this setup? Just off the shelf 94-98 Dodge?
No, I cut the vented part off, machined the rotor into a solid rotor, and ran Toyota calipers.

This is good info. Is there a reason you haven't included 3rd or 4th gen Chevy stuff though?

I have a fantasy of trying to use 05 SD UB's on some sort of factory upright as a budget IFS build.

Good stuff Flatlander.

Somewhere I have a full Timken UBH catalog. If I come across it, I'll post it up.
I seriously think Timken have wheel hub unit bearing drawings with dimensions. Looking at specs on RockAuto often says A, B, C, etc. as if it’s referring to dimensions on a diagram, but there’s none and probably more dimensions were left out.

I sent Timken an email about this and no response.

This is good info. Is there a reason you haven't included 3rd or 4th gen Chevy stuff though?

I have a fantasy of trying to use 05 SD UB's on some sort of factory upright as a budget IFS build.
I think we already talked about that.

The current Chevy HD trucks upright use the same UB pattern and indexing hole as a 05+ Ford UB.

I think we already talked about that.

The current Chevy HD trucks upright use the same UB pattern and indexing hole as a 05+ Ford UB.
In this thread? I'm not seeing it if you did ...

You're right.
I could have sworn there is an application out there that someone shared.
IIRC it’s the 2010s generation of Chevy and Dodge (or maybe just Dodge) that share the bolt pattern with the Ford but use a smaller index hole

IIRC it’s the 2010s generation of Chevy and Dodge (or maybe just Dodge) that share the bolt pattern with the Ford but use a smaller index hole
Which might be able to be bored out ?

You might be right:

1709321752332.png

Which might be able to be bored out ?

You might be right:

1709321752332.png
Isn't that the one listed at the bottom of the spreadsheet at the beginning of this thread? If so, it's not the same pattern as the Ford.

Isn't that the one listed at the bottom of the spreadsheet at the beginning of this thread? If so, it's not the same pattern as the Ford.
Answered my own question. They changed in 07 apparently. And I guess it's the same bolt pattern as the 04sd, not 05.

Are these trail gear units custom made, or are they repurposing something?

Looking for options for 6x5.5 on a dodge 94-99 knuckle

You can use a Chevy unit bearing, with a spacer to align the ujoint to ball joint. It’s the same 33 spline stub as the dodge stub.

You can use a Chevy unit bearing, with a spacer to align the ujoint to ball joint. It’s the same 33 spline stub as the dodge stub.
Is that what you’re running on yours? I recall in your thread you had some wheel spacers it looked like, but I don’t recall you being 6 lug.

Thanks for the tip

I bought a trail gear roller kit, which includes those bearings.

I needed 5 on 5.5 though, so I called branik and ordered their modified timken 99-04 bearings, everything worked perfect, hub pilot for the brake rotor hat, bore for bearing cups, brake hat spacing...

I bet they have a China company making 6 on 5.5 bearings to the 99-04 spec.

Is that what you’re running on yours? I recall in your thread you had some wheel spacers it looked like, but I don’t recall you being 6 lug.

Thanks for the tip
No I was 8x6.5. I ran spacers for a little width. If you’re trying to reuse the stub shafts (which are plenty strong) I’d go the Chevy route. It’s been done before.

Does the spacer also adapt from 3 bolt to 4 bolt or am I missing 4 bolt 6 lug Chevy units in my googling?

Top Back Refresh