What's new

Trailer tire brands and choices

toyotajeep

Member Number
Loc
Oregon
I have a typical 7x16 trailer I bought from a good buddy. The trailer has the typical 205/75/15 tires that these things come with. I have never had a tire issue until the last trip. I think it was a pothole that got it.

So the tires are a load range C which puts the tire right at the max when the trailer is fully loaded. I am respectful of the weight capacity and don't overload etc.

I'd like to upgrade to at least a D or E rated tire. Local tire shop wants close to $200 each and I know I can do better. Trailer sees probably 2000-3000 a year and very little long distance towing.

What is a go to tire I can order online that is known to be decent and have some longevity to it in that size?

Most 15” Trailer tires are generally regarded as junk. That being said, it sounds like you’re really not asking that much of the tires. You’d probably be just fine to put on a set of whatever trailer tires you find, and maybe go up to a D or E range. If you have room to fit a 225/75R 15, it is a very common size that you can get in a load range E for a reasonable price. I think they’re good for 2500 pounds per tire? I wouldn’t get too hung up on the name on the tire, it seems like they all come from overseas, and have random names.

If you calc a load range C they are right at capacity. I am likely going to go up to a E. Cost difference is minimal.

Most 15” Trailer tires are generally regarded as junk. That being said, it sounds like you’re really not asking that much of the tires. You’d probably be just fine to put on a set of whatever trailer tires you find, and maybe go up to a D or E range. If you have room to fit a 225/75R 15, it is a very common size that you can get in a load range E for a reasonable price. I think they’re good for 2500 pounds per tire? I wouldn’t get too hung up on the name on the tire, it seems like they all come from overseas, and have random names.
Been looking online and there are some Chinese type tires for a little over $300 for four FWIW that are load range E. Little nervous though.

Screenshot_20240407_141852_Chrome.jpg

I just mean the 225/75r15s

They put them on trailers with 5200lb axles, so even the cheap ones have about 2600lb each rating.

Thank you for the input guys. I am going to go for 205's and load range E. China specials we will see.

I was thinking I hauled a vintage Dodge Power Wagon on this trailer when my buddy owned it years ago. That was with load range C tires.

It towed fine, but I won't be doing that again.

Thank you for your input.

I have good luck with the Hartland brand from Discount Tire. I run the 10 ply 15" on my tandem axle toyhauler and it scales at 10k on the trailer tires ready to go camping.

I bought some Amazon tires. Towing late next week. Will report. 4 tires shipped were a bit more than the price of one at the local tire shop.

On my 2nd set after the first set aged out of Thunderer trailer tires in a 235/80-16 LR F got good tread life out of them. Dad is about to age out a set of 225-75-15's that still have good tread. We both have been happy with the tires.

205-75-15 LR D $275 for 4 from simple tire

Buy Thunderer ST Radial R501 Tires Online | SimpleTire

I picked these up and mounted them today. The other tires were older than I thought. We’ll see how they do. Mounted and drove pretty easily. We shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpeg
    IMG_2928.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2927.jpeg
    IMG_2927.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
I went Carlisle.
I was about to get Rainier since they are the cheapest. my pontoon has had them for 3 years and I probably have 30% life left and have been great. But rv forums seem to thing they are the worst brand in the world.

I went Carlisle.
I was about to get Rainier since they are the cheapest. my pontoon has had them for 3 years and I probably have 30% life left and have been great. But rv forums seem to thing they are the worst brand in the world.

X2 on Carlisle, they've taken some serious abuse from me, overloading, offroad, potholes etc

225/75r15 LRE

That is what was on it and they worked well. I will go back to that if these don’t pan out I just got in a hurry due to trip I was taking.

One thing I would and will NEVER buy from the ChiComs is tyres.

Pretty much guaranteed to have one or more blowout.

Trailer tyres take too much abuse to go cheap.

X2 on Carlisle, they've taken some serious abuse from me, overloading, offroad, potholes etc

225/75r15 LRE

They rebranded to carlstar. At first I thought I fell for one of the adds that makes you thing it's OEM then in the fine print say it's similar to oem

They rebranded to carlstar. At first I thought I fell for one of the adds that makes you thing it's OEM then in the fine print say it's similar to oem

I thought you were full of shit till I walked out to my car trailer,

( I wound up warranting like 3 tires in the last year, that doesn't sound like a vote of confidence, but after racking up lots of overloaded miles over 5 years, then noticing separations one by one that got me where I needed to go versus letting loose on the road, I am very happy with them)

My newest one was last week and is a carlstar with a 4923 date code, the 0223 and 1223 are Carlisle

Learn something new every day:laughing:

Indonesian tire from 2012. My worker noticed that it wa flat today, the tread is separating from the carcass. There were no signs of a puncture. Load range E. EDIT this was a inside dual.
1000041008.jpg
1000041011.jpg
1000041009.jpg
1000041010.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of dry rot.

My tire guy says 10 years for a trailer tire is pushing it...far.

Yep. We never wear out a trailer tire they are always aged out. I forgot to mention it was an inside dual.
You're wasting money. Step down a load rating or two so they're bald and blowing out right as they age out. :flipoff2:

You're wasting money. Step down a load rating or two so they're bald and blowing out right as they age out. :flipoff2:
Wasting money would be driving 20 miles back to the shop to get the spare tire and service truck to change the tire only to find out that the service trucks impact wrench doesn't work when you get back :homer:.

Top Back Refresh