What's new

Trailer brake replacements

GLTHFJ60

Stupid is as stupid does
Member Number
Loc
Durham, NC
Need to replace the brakes on my trailer. Tandem dexter 7k torsen axles, 12x2 brakes.

Etrailer and Amazon have combo kits like this one. Any reason not to go with this, or are there upgrades I should be looking at instead?

Amazon.com

So I take it this was a dumb question, lol.

Proceeding with stock dexter never-adjust backing plates and drums then.

When I did brakes on mine i just bought loaded Dexter backing plates. Make sure you get bolts cause they are typically messed up at least here.

I used these in '21 on a buddies dump trailer when my supplier could not get Dexter parts.
No complaints at all, they actually came from accross town from another trailer parts supplier.

1711463929861.png

I never spent the extra money for the never adjust setup, is it any good?
I always bought the cheapest brand name loaded backing plates from etrailer.
I don't think I have ever had to put drums on a trailer either, they are normally fine.

I don't think I have ever had to put drums on a trailer either, they are normally fine.
I think they work good on my RV, I don't have to adjust them, doesn't really say much.

I used the cheap Amazon loaded backing plate brakes on a trailer. They seem to be working good.

Yes, good drums make a big difference. If the inner magnet surface is grooved/damaged, it will not grab as hard. The drum surface is similar to vehicles. Usually a minimum thickness is cast into the drum for turning.

I put self adjusting ones on my flatbed years ago, and was totally sold. Before I was always messing with the adjusters, and dealt with it pulling. Now it just works. I didn't put drums on it, but I did have them turned.

Only reason I put new drums on my 5th wheel was that they needed to be turned (they were in bad shape from going metal to metal before I bought it), and they would've been over the limit. I will say its getting pretty hard to find a place near me to get drums turned.

I bought my current 7k (3.5k axles) trailer’s new brakes, the whole 9 yards. Drums and backing plates. Brand is Lippert I think.

Not sure what’s going on but I’m not gonna recommend that brand. Max out brake controller at beginning of my trips and dial back as they start to grab.

Go with good brand and be sure to have wires done well and don’t go full retard with wheel bearing grease.

I have Lippet axles under my trailer with no issues.

My old trailer was like that. It had some electrical issues thst once cleaned up fixed the problems. IIRC the grounds at the frame rail were pretty crusty. Brakes sucked cold and as I drove they got grabby feeling.

Top Back Refresh