What's new

Tire Irons

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
I've got some 12-16.5 skid steer tires to mount and would like to get some tools for the job, and any normal truck/car/trailer stuff in the future.

I'm buying Ken-Tools because USA.

34645-37" iron
33219-30" straight spoon
34649-52" tubeless iron
33220-30" curved spoon
32121-18" drop center spoon
34645-45" iron

Don't know shit about fuck. What do I buy?

I think I need two irons, and wonder if they should both be same length or if better to have a longer/shorter set. Do I need three?

Do I need a spoon? What do you use spoons for (haven't youtubed spoons yet).

Thanks!!!!!!!!:flipoff2:

I have mounted a brazillion tires with harbor freight spoons, they work just fine
you just got to know to actually how to change the tire, some can't figure it out and think it is the tools fault

I just did the 12-16.5s on my skid.

Old invoice for tools shows I have:
34644 37" tire iron
(2) 70141 bead holder

I also used a tanker bar to help here and there. A second spoon or slim pry bar would've been nice, but my harbor freight auto spoons weren't at home.

Could've used vice grips instead of the fancy bead holders, but with them the tire iron shipped free.

Also used plenty of bead lube dismounting and mounting. Also had to use a ratchet strap for the ones that didn't want to hold air to start seating the beads. Tighten, bounce tire to distribute tightness, repeat a few times and add air.

34649-52" tubeless iron
34645-45" iron
You running tubes or tubeless?

You want the longest spoons as possible, Shorter if you plan on changing the tires on the machine. Grab a bead hammer or bead dismounting tool too. Use vise grips to hold the bead. I use Dawn if i don't have access to tire lube.

What bead lube do you use?
I'm pretty sure it's Purple Power tire and bead lube. It was $10 for a gallon at the farm supply so I figured why not buy actual tire lube.

I've used dish soap (mixed with water in a spray bottle, applied liberally) for motorcycle tires. So, anything that decreases friction would do the job.

Grease, hyd oil, anything slick , have had trouble seating beads with soapy water but greasy bead lube , no probs. Most tires will absorb oils ,and greases. May help, may not, dunno. Local friend tire shop had a half bucket of greasy tire mounting lube. Take it,,,,, free,,,,,,, , their guys hated it, it may last the rest of my life. Tires pop right out, rims don’t rust. ,, all good. I’ll try n look in the truck tomorrow and see what the good tire irons are. .... otc is all I remember

Grease, hyd oil, anything slick , have had trouble seating beads with soapy water but greasy bead lube , no probs. Most tires will absorb oils ,and greases. May help, may not, dunno. Local friend tire shop had a half bucket of greasy tire mounting lube. Take it,,,,, free,,,,,,, , their guys hated it, it may last the rest of my life. Tires pop right out, rims don’t rust. ,, all good. I’ll try n look in the truck tomorrow and see what the good tire irons are. .... otc is all I remember
yup, been considering using old used grease for a while, specifically on rusty wheels or dried out tires

hated it when I was doing tires all day, have a set come in with squishy easily torn beads from petroleum grease having been used
but for something that yo don't care about it ever coming back apart again, seems like it'd prevent bead leaks a whole lot better than that "bead sealer" shit that does more harm than good

Ken tool 34121 spoon and 34645 mount and dismount bar is what I like

Thanks for the replies.

I've always used Murphy's Tire Mounting Compound (aka tire soap) and was curious if there was anything better out there.

I worked in/on/under heavy equipment while in HS and college and we used Murphys. Then i had a friend with a dump-truck business and he used Murphys. i have an old coffee can of dried up Murphys in the bottom of it that i use now. when i need it, i add some water and stir it up, then apply with an old paint brush. I'm going to run out soon, so i was looking for alternates. I'm thinking ill just spend $30 and get a tub when i need it.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Top Back Refresh