What's new

So I bought the scroll compressor from Eastwood...

krugford

Member Number
Loc
Waverly, IA
Holy schnikes this thing is quiet... I'm pretty sure my drill press is louder.

After my fire that killed my old 80 gallon Craftsman, I've never felt the need to really invest in a larger compressor again. Pneumatic tools aren't really a thing for the home shop anymore with electric being the new hotness (as of like... 20 years ago...) But the 20 gallon oil-free that's gotten me through so many years just wasn't cutting it for the air blast and coolant mist for my mill, so I needed something newer. Unbelievable how quiet this thing is, it seems like eastwood is the only game in town for scroll compressors, feels weird...

1000000483.jpg

Pretty cool what does that put out for CFM?

I picked up a scroll compressor last year, but the control box got smashed on it. Haven’t seemed to be able to make time to put it back together yet.

Pretty cool what does that put out for CFM?

I picked up a scroll compressor last year, but the control box got smashed on it. Haven’t seemed to be able to make time to put it back together yet.

It's rated for 12.7 cfm @90psi, it's lower than my old 80 gallon, but it's not that far out of line with similar priced compressors. About the only thing I'll do that makes me want more is running a blast cabinet, which I don't even own anymore.

I will eventually be in the market as I want to be able to run Snappy air hammer.
That looks like a solid unit. Will do some research on it, quiet is a good thing since mine will live in a 2 car garage...

I’ve heard nothing but good things about how quiet they are, but if you look on YouTube, they tend to have lots of oil issues you’re going to have to manually take care of very frequently

For some reason, it only seems to be this sized one, if you move up to the next size, there’s not the same issue

I did see the video on the oiling issue and it's something I'll keep an eye on. My home shop is fully dehumidified and typically kept sealed up pretty well, so I'm less concerned about a high volume of condensation. I'm pretty good about keeping my compressors turned off when I'm not using them and regularly draining water. I had a bad experience with a stuck pressure switch on my old 80 gallon Craftsman that resulted in it running 24/7 off the relief valve for an entire weekend unattended...

edit: Did some peeking at the 80/120 to see the differences between it and the 30/60. The biggest things I can see are that it has a vertical oil tank with a LOT more volumne above the oil level and it has a sight gauge on the side. The fact that it's also an 11hp 3 phase motor leads me to believe there will be few, if any, home consumers for that setup. Coupled with what I would expect to be more regular maintenance (your laugh here...) and I would expect it to be a lot more resistance to overflowing the oil tank with excess water. Otherwise, I would expect the same conditions to be present in both. As far as sandblasting goes, I do expect to have a blast cabinet again someday and even my Craftsman, which supposedly did 17cfm, still struggled to keep up. If I get really annoyed, I'll buy two of these damn things and stack them.

Last edited:
I've thought about adding an oiler to the intake of a big scroll-type a/c compressor (the vane ones are loud)
ended up with a bunch of conventional quincy QR compressors, so...

Top Back Refresh