What's new

Ryobi tools upgrade to ????

You didn’t take into account the m12 line. The m12 line is extensive and fantastic for what it is. Using a top 1/3 smaller than the 18v counterpart with 90% of the power is a joy on any kind of overhead or awkward situations.

Majority I know in dewalt are only in dewalt because of the old nicad tools and adapters(construction). Everyone with dewalt asks how m12/18 stuff is I’ve got a few to switch over.

I think for the most part Milwaukee has the most expansive lineup of tools.

Get this, nothing prevents you from getting Dewalt 20v and M12...no different than M18 and M12 from a cost perspective. The Dewalt 12v line is lacking, but their smaller 20v tools are plenty compact too (atomic line for instance).

More arguments against Milwaukee is availability...pretty much every store and online retailer has some parts of the Dewalt lineup. The Milwaukee side this isn't true.

Look, I'm not denying they have a good tool line up...but to say "you can't beat red" as another poster did, is untrue. There are plenty of reasons to go yellow (or blue or green or pink or w/e the fuck colour other brands) over the red boy jerk me offs that exist in the mechanic world.

More arguments against Milwaukee is availability...pretty much every store and online retailer has some parts of the Dewalt lineup. The Milwaukee side this isn't true.

I dunno about that. I cant seem to go anywhere without hitting a giant wall of Milwaukee goodies.

Get this, nothing prevents you from getting Dewalt 20v and M12...no different than M18 and M12 from a cost perspective. The Dewalt 12v line is lacking, but their smaller 20v tools are plenty compact too (atomic line for instance).

62DA9FCA-EB13-45A4-9AAD-0AA4985BE6FB.jpeg

Not sure in the land of moose and maple syrup but in merica besides blows and hf pretty much everyone that sells power tools has Milwaukee now.
Look, I'm not denying they have a good tool line up...but to say "you can't beat red" as another poster did, is untrue. There are plenty of reasons to go yellow (or blue or green or pink or w/e the fuck colour other brands) over the red boy jerk me offs that exist in the mechanic world.

I think there’s some truth to that if you are in a different lineup it doesn’t make sense. However if you are starting from scratch, assuming equal availability, you’d be a fool to not choose Milwaukee.

Last edited:
I dunno about that. I cant seem to go anywhere without hitting a giant wall of Milwaukee goodies.

Amazon doesn't sell it themselves (third parties do at stupid prices)...at least up here. I buy a lot of my stuff off amazon.

62DA9FCA-EB13-45A4-9AAD-0AA4985BE6FB.jpeg

Not sure in the land of moose and maple syrup but in merica besides blows and hf pretty much everyone that sells power tools has Milwaukee now.

I think there’s some truth to that if you are in a different lineup it doesn’t make sense. However if you are starting from scratch, assuming equal availability, you’d be a fool to not choose with Milwaukee.

What person buys chargers standalone? I have always just got them in the kits with the batteries, so dual chargers is moot.

Where's Milwaukee's 60v line up? lol I'll give up my 60v grinder over your dead body :D

I think both have their merits, you would not be a fool choosing yellow over red today. Also, most home owners need more than just mechanics tools, and Dewalt saws are superior.

Amazon doesn't sell it themselves (third parties do at stupid prices)...at least up here. I buy a lot of my stuff off amazon.

Gotcha. I try and buy local myself. I do think its funny, that just because you cant get it on amazon, means that the availability just isnt there. Pull up another website ya lazy fuck:lmao:

Also, most home owners need more than just mechanics tools, and Dewalt saws are superior.

Did you read the first post in this thread? You should. Expecially the part where the OP said " Looking mainly for mechanic type things, not so much woodworking. 1/2" impact, 3/8" ratchet, drill, etc etc."

What person buys chargers standalone? I have always just got them in the kits with the batteries, so dual chargers is moot.

When your plug challenged it makes a difference charging two batteries per charger vs one.

Where's Milwaukee's 60v line up? lol I'll give up my 60v grinder over your dead body :D

I think they are coming out with that shit now. Haven’t really looked into it because I never wanted the weight or another set of batteries.

I think both have their merits, you would not be a fool choosing yellow over red today.

What I always recommend is ryobi for home do it yourself people and prosummers/ contractors Milwaukee. Automotive Milwaukee has always been the option up until the last few years, they were the ones that effectively killed air impacts.

I don’t know how extensive dewalts lineup is right now but when I made the big jump 5 years ago or longer dewalt was extremely lacking vs Milwaukee.

Also, most home owners need more than just mechanics tools, and Dewalt saws are superior.

Depends what saw, the dewalt track saw doesn’t use a standard track but the Milwaukee does. I know they have problems with the cordless miter saws dying prematurely because of the wall adapters, something I wish Milwaukee would come out with.

I have a few older dewalt saws and have nothing bad to say about them, they both have 100,000 plus cuts and always worked great.

Gotcha. I try and buy local myself. I do think its funny, that just because you cant get it on amazon, means that the availability just isnt there. Pull up another website ya lazy fuck:lmao:

Did you read the first post in this thread? You should. Expecially the part where the OP said " Looking mainly for mechanic type things, not so much woodworking. 1/2" impact, 3/8" ratchet, drill, etc etc."

Yeah there's other sites, but not as many, not as good free shipping options, etc....I'd say there's twice as many reasonable places both local and online that I can get Dewalt over Milwaukee here. Even my buddy who is all Milwaukee complains about the availability compared to Dewalt (but makes fun of tonka truck toys as he calls them).

I did read that, but you buy into a line and long term that expands. I started with a drill and impact too, then you end up with the saw and the other type of saw, then the grinder, then the weedwacker and blower, then the specialty whatever tool for that one job, and so forth. Don't tell me you would just buy the impact, ratchet, and drill for mechanic work and then stop there lmfao

When your plug challenged it makes a difference charging two batteries per charger vs one.

I think they are coming out with that shit now. Haven’t really looked into it because I never wanted the weight or another set of batteries.

What I always recommend is ryobi for home do it yourself people and prosummers/ contractors Milwaukee. Automotive Milwaukee has always been the option up until the last few years, they were the ones that effectively killed air impacts.

I don’t know how extensive dewalts lineup is right now but when I made the big jump 5 years ago or longer dewalt was extremely lacking vs Milwaukee.

Depends what saw, the dewalt track saw doesn’t use a standard track but the Milwaukee does. I know they have problems with the cordless miter saws dying prematurely because of the wall adapters, something I wish Milwaukee would come out with.

I have a few older dewalt saws and have nothing bad to say about them, they both have 100,000 plus cuts and always worked great.

They make power bars lmfao convenient way to switch them all off at once at the end of the day too.

Not sure either on new Milwaukee higher voltage stuff...but would be cool.

Dewalt has surpassed Milwaukee in impact wrench performance for the last couple years, I'm sure Milwaukee will beat them again in the future...if they don't fuck up their design again on their high torque lmao

I'd agree, 5 years ago Milwaukee was way ahead of Dewalt in the mechanic space, that gap is gone now.

The saws, I guess my real reference point is the DWS780 which is the gold standard of mitre saws....but my jigsaw, circular saw, couple sawzalls, guyburator, etc. that are cordless Dewalt have been rock solid and perform amazingly.

As said, both brands are good...but anyone who says X wipes the floor with Y is just a brand nut swinger. You are not a fool for picking red or yellow today, you'll be equally happy with either. Both brands have their standouts in the lineup (like Milwaukee with their M12 as a whole or their big sawzalls, or Dewalt with their saws/impacts/concrete tools right now) but the 10% difference here and there rarely makes/breaks the ability to do a job.

^^^ agree.

Red has better mechanics tools imo, yellow has better everything else tools imo. I'm a yellow for most things guy, but my m12 fuel 3/8 ratchet is my favorite tool for wrenching.

Whatever happens, pick one 20v battery system and stick with it. 12v aux tools for any special shit you need.

Ryobi has different models of the same tool like the other brands, get the nicer brushless Ryobi stuff.

I have an entire wall of red and just about all if it is awesome. Favorites are 90deg die grinders, 4.5" grinders, porta-band, and that damn heated jacket:laughing:

Our fire department ran the old NiCad Dewalt stuff. They weren't impressed with the new stuff and switched to Milwaukee. It was before I joined so I don't know the exact reasons though.

You should try Craftsman's power tools so we can have a guinea pig and find out how they are.

Dejeeper Whichever way you go, they make battery adapters if you want to gradually switch, or keep some infrequently used tools.
A couple random examples:
DeWalt battery to Ryobi tool: Amazon.com
Milwaukee battery to Ryobi tool:Amazon.com

Aaron Z
I have an adapter for M18 to a HF inflator for my kids lake toys and and one for the Ryobi bug zapper. Both work great but do add some bulk.

Didn't address the other two items...and there is a 1/4" die grinder for dewalt btw. Op is talking about buying from ground up, so no one is telling him to convert. I wouldn't convert either if I already had a bunch of tools, but if he's buying into a new line, now's the time to choose...and I'd rather not have chinese made tools with quality problems, even if that means I can't get...well, nothing, dewalt has ratchets and lights and impacts and die grinders and grease guns and all the tools you might want, maybe just not in your ideal form factor. I also personally find the ergonomics of the red stuff shit, their grips feel terrible in hand when using them.

They're both Chinese, though I think DeWalt makes a lot of things in India as well, at least grinders. I use both and am not a fanboy of either. I've broke more Milwaukee, but they have a pretty good warranty; they were actually the first thing I ever warrantied. Both will do you well though, I have DeWalt from 2015 still in use today, my Milwaukee stuff I've been using for about 4-5 years. As said earlier, Torque Test Channel on YouTube has a lot of reviews of most brands if true numbers are your thing. You might check JDToolCo in New Jersey for deals, they used to have good packages all the time before some tariffs were imposed a few years ago.

They're both Chinese, though I think DeWalt makes a lot of things in India as well, at least grinders. I use both and am not a fanboy of either. I've broke more Milwaukee, but they have a pretty good warranty; they were actually the first thing I ever warrantied. Both will do you well though, I have DeWalt from 2015 still in use today, my Milwaukee stuff I've been using for about 4-5 years. As said earlier, Torque Test Channel on YouTube has a lot of reviews of most brands if true numbers are your thing. You might check JDToolCo in New Jersey for deals, they used to have good packages all the time before some tariffs were imposed a few years ago.

Love me some TTC, I've done a couple things on YouTube with him (surprisingly) and have his contact.

Dewalt is made all over, some of their tools are at least assembled in the USA now even if all the components are coming from overseas...but more so the IP and ownership lands back in the US which is important, the less that goes to China the better.

Either way, both brands make good tools.

Love me some TTC, I've done a couple things on YouTube with him (surprisingly) and have his contact.

Dewalt is made all over, some of their tools are at least assembled in the USA now even if all the components are coming from overseas...but more so the IP and ownership lands back in the US which is important, the less that goes to China the better.

Either way, both brands make good tools.
I'm a snob when it comes to country of origin, 70% of the time I won't even buy things because it comes from overseas. I know DeWalt had a stint, like Wallyworld, where they were advertising the Assembled In USA, but I haven't seen that on any of their tools for a while. That being said, I wish either of them would make a metal specific cordless drill. They work decent for really small holes (< 3/8") but start getting bigger and they twist you up when they bite, use the clutch on the drill and it slips the entire time. Hilti makes one I believe, but it's another set of everything you have to buy yet again.

I'm a snob when it comes to country of origin, 70% of the time I won't even buy things because it comes from overseas. I know DeWalt had a stint, like Wallyworld, where they were advertising the Assembled In USA, but I haven't seen that on any of their tools for a while. That being said, I wish either of them would make a metal specific cordless drill. They work decent for really small holes (< 3/8") but start getting bigger and they twist you up when they bite, use the clutch on the drill and it slips the entire time. Hilti makes one I believe, but it's another set of everything you have to buy yet again.

Try the 60v mixing drill, it has more torque than you can possibly imagine, a proper metal keyed chuck, and it's top rpm is like 500-600 or something. I have one and it's an absolute beast for drilling with big bits.

Of course, at some point you might as well go to a mag drill.

Try the 60v mixing drill, it has more torque than you can possibly imagine, a proper metal keyed chuck, and it's top rpm is like 500-600 or something. I have one and it's an absolute beast for drilling with big bits.

Of course, at some point you might as well go to a mag drill.
I have a mag drill as well, though don't always need it. Is the mixing drill two speed, direct drive? Or does it still have a clutch? A more proper clutch would be nice where if it does bind, it doesn't whack your hand/arm into something, but doesn't stall out on a 1/4" bit.

I have a mag drill as well, though don't always need it. Is the mixing drill two speed, direct drive? Or does it still have a clutch? A more proper clutch would be nice where if it does bind, it doesn't whack your hand/arm into something, but doesn't stall out on a 1/4" bit.

Single speed no adjustable clutch thing, but has an e-clutch that detects binding and shuts itself down.

I've been beating on Makita tools doing class 8 truck/ag mechanic work for 4 years now.
Also lots of automotive use.

1/2" impact got repaired in warranty.
My drill is growling like a mf'er, but its the home jobber grade. It had a wobbly chuck from the get go. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.
3/4" impact hits like a sumbitch.
3/8" ratchet is a game changer.
Impact driver keeps ticking.

I use my cordless tools at least once a day, 6 days a week. I've killed on battery by dropping it on a brick and snapping off the connecting port thing. Its had a full charge for 3 years, just can't use it. :homer:

I've used Milwaukee. I don't get what all the fanboi-ism is about. Their 1 inch impact, I admit, is impressive.

The old brushed Dewalt shit just will not die.

Top Back Refresh