What's new

Running a small LED flood off a lipo pack for a dirtbike

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
I've got an 01 yz250f. I'd like to add a headlight for when a ride goes a little late. There is one outfit (RickyStator.com) who make a lighting stator for an 03+ model, but they don't answer emails or phone calls. So I'm not sure if it will work on my bike.

I'm thinking about getting a small LED light, like a 4" bar or one of the little cubes, and running it off an RC battery.

Could I just wire the appropriate connector onto the light pigtail, plug it into the battery connector, and party on? Does it take more than that? Is there a better way?

Id look at the mountain bike thread there have been some discussions there

You can probably source parts from a wr250f. I think the first year for them was '03 so it should be the same bike. They run a headlight.

I just keep a headlamp in my camelbak, but that's more for getting back to the truck and not real night riding. What your thinking of would be a nice step up from that.

Last edited:
I have looked to do this a M12 battery might be a good easy solution.

Alternatively I think a helmet mounted light would be awesome.
Something like this

Id look at the mountain bike thread there have been some discussions there

Yep.

Go buy a mountain bike light. There are good ones now that have built in batteries and clamp onto your handlebar. I have a Blackburn Countdown 1600 that would be plenty to get home in the dark on a moto as long as you're not running high speeds.

Edit:

Actually, shit it would be way cheaper to adapt a cordless tool battery like Bryo said. The MTB lights focus on size and weight and RC batteries get expensive once you get into larger capacity cells. But if you already have Milwaukee or DeWalt batteries around that's easier.

Get something like this:

Power Wheel Adapter for Milwaukee M18 Battery 18v Dock Power Connector 14 Gauge Robotics Amazon.com

Wire it straight to whatever 12-24V multi-voltage LED pod you like from Amazon, wire in a switch, and be into it for under $100.

Last edited:
Yep.

Go buy a mountain bike light. There are good ones now that have built in batteries and clamp onto your handlebar. I have a Blackburn Countdown 1600 that would be plenty to get home in the dark on a moto as long as you're not running high speeds.

Edit:

Actually, shit it would be way cheaper to adapt a cordless tool battery like Bryo said. The MTB lights focus on size and weight and RC batteries get expensive once you get into larger capacity cells. But if you already have Milwaukee or DeWalt batteries around that's easier.

Get something like this:

Power Wheel Adapter for Milwaukee M18 Battery 18v Dock Power Connector 14 Gauge Robotics Amazon.com

Wire it straight to whatever 12-24V multi-voltage LED pod you like from Amazon, wire in a switch, and be into it for under $100.

Deadly! Ordered one of those, and a little 4" bar. Should do nicely. I'm pretty wealthy with m18 batteries, and m12s have shitty retention tabs in my experience.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh