What's new

NP205 gear chatter

Mike Honcho

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Missouri
I have a chatter coming from the front only output. It's a ford case if that matters. Under load or while accelerating it is normal, once you let off the gas/ coast there is a loud chatter coming from the t-case. No metal/ oil looks perfect. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Possibly out of spec driveline/ujoint angle or idler gear preload too loose.

This proably won't be an issue under normal driving conditions. Will you be driving high speed in front wheel drive only?

FWD only. Trail rig only. I just noticed it playing around in FWD.

I don't want to rebuild the case also don't want to grenade the thing out on the trail.

Possibly out of spec driveline/ujoint angle or idler gear preload too loose.

This proably won't be an issue under normal driving conditions. Will you be driving high speed in front wheel drive only?

Home built driveshafts and I run a carrier bearing shaft on the front as well.

I just reused the shims that were in the case. I didn't measure preload:homer:

Have you put drive psi on it or just on jack stands?

With the speed of the noise id say its one the selector collars skipping teeth like grinding a mt.

Have you put drive psi on it or just on jack stands?

With the speed of the noise id say its one the selector collars skipping teeth like grinding a mt.
Same noise driving or on jack stands. Only happens when coasting under no load while driving. Also seems to happen at the same speed every time(second gear)

Did this just start or is this a new build? Reason I ask is I built my own drivelines and I have a carrier with two shafts on my front. Mine has crazy angles on the pinion end. I broke that one and had a shop build a new one. Noise went away. I thought it was because of the crazy angles. Nope. I just suck at building drivelines.:lmao:

Drive shaft angles

Am I hurting anything if it's the DS angles? It was hard to package a 4 link and tcase moved back because of the doubler.
1000005229.jpg
1000005230.jpg
1000005231.jpg
1000005232.jpg

Did this just start or is this a new build? Reason I ask is I built my own drivelines and I have a carrier with two shafts on my front. Mine has crazy angles on the pinion end. I broke that one and had a shop build a new one. Noise went away. I thought it was because of the crazy angles. Nope. I just suck at building drivelines.:lmao:
Brand new build. Wheeled a long weekend so far.

Mine is way more angled than that. Take the front shaft in and have is spun and balanced. I’d bet most of your noise will go away.

If the angles are off, they will sometimes chatter. My understanding is the shaft is speeding up and slowing down due to the effects of the joints being at odd angles.

This inturn causes gear teeth to contact rapidly (chatter) noticeable when unloaded (deceleration).

Disclosure, I'm no expert, just something to consider. There's a video somewhere that shows this.

I have this problem at certain speeds due to Tcase being pointed at the sky and diff pointed level. Double Carden shaft.

If the angles are off, they will sometimes chatter. My understanding is the shaft is speeding up and slowing down due to the effects of the joints being at odd angles.

This inturn causes gear teeth to contact rapidly (chatter) noticeable when unloaded (deceleration).

Disclosure, I'm no expert, just something to consider. There's a video somewhere that shows this.

I have this problem at certain speeds due to Tcase being pointed at the sky and diff pointed level. Double Carden shaft.
John that owns the driveline shop where I’ve bought parts and had build several drivelines had a conversation about this before I built my front drivelines. My pinion is pointing skyward because I rotated the knuckles to set it up in my old truck. No way I was going to rotate em back!:mad3: I said I think I better run a double Carden. He said don’t. I don’t care about all the odd angles. You don’t need it. All the guys that build buggies run a single joint. I was pretty apprehensive. Went for it. I’ll be damned. He was right.:eek:

It doesn't sound quite like the problem I had, but I also had annoying chatter under engine braking. Ended up being a u-joint with a little bit of fretting.

Top Back Refresh