What's new

I need a quick ID of front axle pretty please

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
I cross posted in ford but I'm getting no traction, I'll hgtd when I get my answer

Resized_20240224_113000(1).jpeg
I've sent this to a few friends, I'm getting mixed answers

Sure looks like the base of the hub fills up the wheel

78 f250 super cab, door tag says 3800lb front, but things can be swapped in 45 years

Is this a d44 or d60?

It's a terrible picture. But the best I can get this lady to get me

Thanks in advance

To me, looks like a sizable gap between the hub and wheel.

Screenshot_20240224-131940-696.png
For that to be true, the hub would hab to be off center in the wheel. But if you look closer, you'll see the gap at the top is consistant so that has to be some type of illusion with the picture.

20240224_150129.jpg

I forgot I had a non SD 60 at the house, a dodge d60 somebody put a free spin kit on, so I'm thinking ford parts

The girth:laughing: of the hub between the lug nuts looks similar

For that to be true, the hub would hab to be off center in the wheel. But if you look closer, you'll see the gap at the top is consistant so that has to be some type of illusion with the picture.

I think the top-down view hides the gap at the top. A factory steel wheel like that usually has a raised inner lip - hiding more of the view than the steel thickness itself.

Time for a better pic.

Edit: oem ford wheel has a 4.88" bore. Aftermarket is usually 5.125".

A picture of the center section would tell the tale better than the hub end.

Thats a spicer locking hub. I have both D44 & D60 sets out in the garage i could go and get pics of to compare against later today.

If you look at this pic i took many many years ago of a set of spicer D60 lockouts i took apart and cleaned, youll note the D60 version uses an angled chrome ring for the lockout cover, whereas the D44 uses a squared off cover:
(top left and top right)
05.jpg

heres an ebay listing for a set of spicer d44 lockouts from a ford:

pic stolen from ebay listing
s-l1600.png

Last edited:
Sure looks like a 44, thought 60’s of that era had the big giant lockout with the bolts around the outside.

Youre thinking of the old external locking hubs. But those are on the old axles with the stubby wheel bearing hubs where the stub shaft poked out past the end of the bearing hub. Early 70s; Ford may have used them on the low pinion coarse spline D60s but never on the high pinion D60s.

edit:
heres a cool thread on the old external hubs:

Resized_20240224_153620.jpeg
Resized_20240224_153617.jpeg

Fo fo

Ask the seller if the top of the knuckle is a big nut or 4 small bolts

I would love to. I'm about 4 hours in to politely telling arties white aunt Gertrude that it's OK to back the walker up and take a pic, I can zoom in to what I need to see

Top Back Refresh