What's new

Dual Battery: Second Battery Location (Is this a stupid idea)?

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
08’ 4Runner...

Got a free Intimidator AGM and looking to run a dual set up for future needs. This 4Runner is only running 33’s and is more for family adventures rather than harder wheeling. So, mild to hard trails, I guess. nothing extreme.

CB2FA608-7C97-45FD-A054-422BA520B000.jpeg

Idea is to mount it in the spare tire location. Run a piece of 3/16” steel across the frame rail with a battery box on top of it. My idea is to put a lid on the front side to access and remove the battery.

This will hang down level with the trailer hitch. Plenty of room for this and it puts the weight center and closer to the axle.

Is this a stupid idea? If I can tuck it up higher than the hitch would the hitch keep it from being smashed IF I dropped the rear off a rock?

Also, this battery can be mounted on its side, right?

Back in the day, I ran 3 red top optimas on their side, in the spare tire area. I had a v8 in a Toyota and didnt have much room under the hood. Worked great. Just make sure your battery cables are big enough.

Back in the day, I ran 3 red top optimas on their side, in the spare tire area. I had a v8 in a Toyota and didnt have much room under the hood. Worked great. Just make sure your battery cables are big enough.

Also wondering, did you build a box for them, or just grease up the connections?

No box. Basically just angle iron to make a cradle in front of the cross member and point the terminals forward for access.

Perfect. Makes it easier when dealing with that 1/0 cable. I also don’t plan on submerging this in 5’ of water either, so that helps.

I've used a weld in double battery box mounted sideways to the frame just behind the drivers side cab on an extra cab. It was high enough that the frame protected it from any serious damage.

Top Back Refresh