What's new

bought $750 worth of scrap iron

nah, there ain't much there that rust will hurt
I'll grease up the exposed ways and remove the feed ratchet pawl shenanigans
The rain is going to run into somewhere stupid and then evaporate and condense with each heat cycle like a pot with a lid on and you're gonna get real nasty rust growing on some random shit that doesn't matter for accuracy but needs to be disassembled and cleaned to work right and is a huge nuisance to do so.

Ounce of prevention and all that. But I guess that ship probably sailed when it was sitting in the scrap yard. Still, your life will be easier if it evaporates up and out and stops rusting than if it keeps rusting.

I don't think either of you understand how simple of a machine this is

The only "precision" piece is the clapper box, and that's already stuck
the feed ratchet pawls are sloppy, they ain't stuck yet, but again, 1890
every bearing that isn't plain cast iron is poured lead

Ya'll really should be worried more about the scrap iron that's being broken up nearer to you, fuckin east coasters that can get top of the line post-war manual iron for a penny a pound

I don't think either of you understand how simple of a machine this is
I have a plain mill and lathe from the 1800s. I understand exactly what you're working with.
The only "precision" piece is the clapper box, and that's already stuck
the feed ratchet pawls are sloppy, they ain't stuck yet, but again, 1890
every bearing that isn't plain cast iron is poured lead
Preventing or arresting rust growth on all that shit will GREATLY reduce the size of the project you have to engage in. I say this from experience.

All you need is a tarp, bungee cords and scrap rotors.

Ya'll really should be worried more about the scrap iron that's being broken up nearer to you, fuckin east coasters that can get top of the line post-war manual iron for a penny a pound
You're in just as good a location for that as we are. The upper Midwest around the great lakes had a ton of heavy industry. Maybe not quite as much in MN but you could say the same about Maine.

We have more pre-ww2 shit out east but shit like shapers and whatnot that weren't economically viable in production manufacturing in 1941-45 mostly got dragged to the scrapyard by whatever the 1940s equivalent of an Arizonian is.

Top Back Refresh