What's new

Back to basics

Before and after shot. You can tell she sits up a little bit more...
image000002.jpg
IMG_20240405_200124620.jpg

Poser shot on the hill out front
IMG_20240405_200614799.jpg

then we went wheeling to rocks and valleys again. They had their annual Easter egg hunt. I went with my wife and 2 youngest daughters this time around. We all had a blast and need more wheeling, that's for sure!
Unfortunately these are the only pics i got. We followed my buddy in his jk on 37's and a friend of his with a yj on 40's. Needless to say we were working it to keep up on our 33's :laughing:
The Lincoln locker made all the difference i think...
1000011961.jpg
1000011963.jpg
1000011964.jpg

Still more to come.....

In the front? Not really, it's way softer and there's no sway bar, but axle wrap is not more noticeable.
The rear is the same really.
Sorry
I mesnt rear.
Ive noticed in past rear shackle flip lends to more wxle wrap on my fords.
My theory was the change in angle of spring in relation to how the axle goes from slightly pushing up on it {because front of spring is lower than rear) to not when driving the truck forward?
Was curious if chevy was same deal

Thanks for sharing the wheeling
Its motivating

Sorry
I mesnt rear.
Ive noticed in past rear shackle flip lends to more wxle wrap on my fords.
My theory was the change in angle of spring in relation to how the axle goes from slightly pushing up on it {because front of spring is lower than rear) to not when driving the truck forward?
Was curious if chevy was same deal

Thanks for sharing the wheeling
Its motivating
My dad had owned ford's a while back and both of them(one f250 and one f350 both stock) were bad for axle wrap. A lot worse than any of my Chevy's. I would think an anti wrap bar should help with that though. Don't get me wrong, it does wrap, but not any more noticeable than before the flip. I don't even really get axle hop in soft sand under heavy power(well heavy for this thing:laughing:).

I'm not sure what got me going on this, i think the fact that the wife was giving me a bunch of crap about not going to the Easter egg hunt if i didn't finish it. It was down to the wire. The hunt was on the 6th and i hadn't even started my shackle flip until the 5th... she texted while i was at work and asked if it was done, and it wasn't, so i left work early to try to finish it....i didn't close the shop it until 1230 am on the 6th lol went to bed and woke up at 530 am got it all packed and loaded and away we went.

I'm glad my fumbling around can be motivation for you!
Thanks

So as it turns out, none of this was fool proof...i had some issues with all of my mods.....

well this one isn't a mod, but the rear diff decided to start leaking on me..... easily fixed....
20240407_095659.jpg

The bigger problem is the steering.....i not only put cross- over on it, but i did high steer as well. Here you can see the cross- over drag link rubs the frame on full bump.... super lame
That was the second issue with the drag link. The first was that my pitman arm was too long causing the drag link end to be over top of the tie rod. My fix was a new pitman arm. Went from a 7" c to c on the holes to a 5.5" c to c. That was just the right size, but fucked my steering angle much worse than i thought it would.... we were the backup Champs at the park:lmao:
20240406_192610.jpg

here you can see the tie rod rubs real hard on my new cross member.....
20240406_192625.jpg

and the brand new springs i bought for this are bent to shit. I tried to take them to a shop to get re- arched but the guy said it was a lost cause...
20240406_185757.jpg

There were other issues as well..... the a- bomb is not far enough forward to get a decent angle on the shackle, so I'm moving that forward a full 2". That will make the built in body mounts useless n so those will need to be redone. This will move the axle forward as well, which is what I'll need to be able to get bigger tires on. It will also create clearance with the cross member. But now my drive shaft will be too short:shaking:

The steering box is too close to the drag link already and i need the pitman arm that came with the cross over kit to be installed, so that is getting moved forward 4" at least. This will make my new xj steering shaft too short i think..

I'm sure there's more, so i will update when things start getting fixed. It is already in pieces back in the shop, so hopefully this redo won't take too long.
Thanks for following along! :beer:

Top Back Refresh