What's new

7.3L E350 white smoke

Jeffh555

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Scotts Valley, CA
My 2000 E350 7.3L van started randomly blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Are there any 7.3L nerds here?

Basic on the van:
330k miles
Full Force Diesel stage 1.5 injectors
Riff Raff Fuel Rail Crossover
Riff Raff High Pressure Oil Crossover
Bellowed Up Pipes
Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
DP Tuner with tunes from Full Force Diesel
Dieselsite 4R100
4x4 with 4.56 gears and 37s
Typically 16,000lb gross combined weight (pull JK on open trailer).

I’ve had the van for ~9 years. All the mod’s happened about 6 years ago.

It’s due for an oil change, it’s been a 11 months and 4000 miles. I run Rotella Dino oil.

The last trip out was a particularly easy tow, 1 hour each way and no real grades. Parked it for a couple months and then. Went to move a bobcat across town and I started seeing white smoke out the exhaust.

It’s pretty minimal at idle, but it’s fogging out my whole lane and half the lane next to me under any load.

Can’t see/smell anything weird in the oil, coolant, or exhaust.

Some searching pointed to the MAT. I spent 30 min trying to find it, then searched again and it seems that the van doesn’t have one.

I have FORscan, but I just got the USB to OBD cave and haven’t really had time to play with it. I did do some diagnostics:
The cylinder contribution test gave me a P0263 for cylinder 1.
Buzz test had no errors
KOER on demand self test gave me a P0476.

With it running, I unplugged the entire passenger valve cover harness. It stopped smoking. Because if this, I think it’s injector related. If it were turbo or sensor related, it would happen to all cylinders.

Next step is to pull the valve cover and see if unplugging cylinder 1 alone stops the smoke.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• FE090258-C4D1-42BB-B931-EE663AAE69BD.jpeg
    FE090258-C4D1-42BB-B931-EE663AAE69BD.jpeg
    621.9 KB · Views: 4
If your coolant levels are in spec that probably rules out the possibility of a cracked injector cup but at 330k it could be cups.

I think you’re on the right track with injector issues. Sounds like one may be sticking open a tad too long. I have heard amazing things about hot shot stiction eliminator. I know it sounds like snake oil but if you google it people will say time and time again that it fixed their issues.

Before digging into it maybe just do an oil change with the stiction stuff and see what it gets you after some miles are put on it

have a 02 7.3 pickup in the shop. has random white smoke from time to time and only when stone cold. took a lot of poking around to figure out. turns out #6 cup has a mild leak into the combustion chamber at the tip. no fuel in oil or water and no compression in the cooling system. truck has just over 300k on it so its getting a bit of a rebuild while fixing this issue as it can only be the start for something that's done its service so well all these years. good luck

Thanks guys. I really don’t want it to be injector cups. Getting the injectors out on a 7.3L van is a huge pain in the ass.

This morning I had a few minutes to work on it.

I unplugged the #1 injector and started it up, this was dead cold and it was in the 40s overnight. 90% of the smoke was gone. I’d say the level of smoke was expected for a cold diesel. Plugged it back in and the smoke is back.

So, either the #1 injector is sticking, O-rings are leaking, or cup is cracked.

At this point I feel like I have two options:

1. Change oil and add additive and see if it fixes itself. My daily commute is 13 miles round trip, so even driving the van every day doesn’t get much. Could put some miles on it next weekend.

2. Dig into it and make sure everything is legit. Getting the injectors out is a huge pain, so at this point I’m thinking of pulling all the injectors and sending them to Full Force Diesel (where I bought them from) to have them inspected and flow tested and while they’re out install new Riff Raff billet injector cups.

Time is not on my side. I’m leaving for Sand Hollow in 16 days.

I’d pray it’s a sticking injector and drive the hell out of it so get that hot shot stiction stuff moving through the system.

I know I sound like a salesman selling snake oil but it’s probably the first thing snake oil product I’ve used that wasn’t snake oil

I rebuilt the injectors and put new cups in my 97 a few weeks ago. Was easy. Hardest part was the back valve cover bolts and it wasn't that bad.
On a van, probably real easy in the cab through the doghouse.

I need to call Full Force Diesel today, but I have some thoughts that might stir conversation.

After testing the #1 injector and starting the van and running it for less than 30 seconds, There's a pretty decent puddle of oil under it. It's had a rear main seal leak for years, and some other random weeps, but never really got worse. The leak seems to be coming from the driver side of the motor, near the front, which is a new and bigger leak. It was parked in the dirt/weeds after the last trip, so I'm not sure if it was doing that before this weekend.

The oil level is not low, which is kinda odd because it's historically leaked a quart every couple wheeling trips.

I wonder if the injector is leaking between the fuel system and HP oil system. If it pumps fuel into the oil would that explain why it's leaking after running it.

Inspect the cup while it’s out .
I don't think that's practical in a van. I can't see in there. I googled how to inspect them and this forum post suggests that testing is really the way to go.

I also think at 300k+ miles, replacing the cups isn't a bad idea as preventative.

I rebuilt the injectors and put new cups in my 97 a few weeks ago. Was easy. Hardest part was the back valve cover bolts and it wasn't that bad.
On a van, probably real easy in the cab through the doghouse.
Yes, that bolt is easy. Other things are harder. I think the van is way worse than a truck, but I've never worked on a truck.

Riff Raff says you can use their tool to replace cups in a van.

1712594805823.png

We rented a house for Sand Hollow, so having a pickup instead of a van for this trip wouldn't be the end of the world. I can rent a Silverado 2500 from Enterprise Trucks for under $600 for the week. That buys me another month before I need to have the van done, and I can do it right. After we get into June, we'll be using the van for camping/wheeling trips a couple times a month.

WOW that is tight! i ended up pulling both heads off the truck in the shop. owner found a specialty shop that will overhaul the heads and get them back in under 7 days. was a real blast pulling heads in cab but not as bad as what you have going on! good luck

Driverside front makes me think oil cooler, you ever replaced the cooler orings or mounting gaskets?

Sounds like youve got a bum injector to me. Be nice if you could swap 1&2 and see if smoke follows it to be sure.

Oil cooler has never been touched, or even crossed my mind. If I'm draining the oil and coolant to do injectors, I should probably do that.

Haven't pulled any injectors yet, but I'm liking the idea of swapping 1 and 7 (7 is the easiest to get to) and see if the smoke follow it.

I need to call Full Force Diesel today, but I have some thoughts that might stir conversation.

After testing the #1 injector and starting the van and running it for less than 30 seconds, There's a pretty decent puddle of oil under it. It's had a rear main seal leak for years, and some other random weeps, but never really got worse. The leak seems to be coming from the driver side of the motor, near the front, which is a new and bigger leak. It was parked in the dirt/weeds after the last trip, so I'm not sure if it was doing that before this weekend.

The oil level is not low, which is kinda odd because it's historically leaked a quart every couple wheeling trips.

I wonder if the injector is leaking between the fuel system and HP oil system. If it pumps fuel into the oil would that explain why it's leaking after running it.

I don't think that's practical in a van. I can't see in there. I googled how to inspect them and this forum post suggests that testing is really the way to go.

I also think at 300k+ miles, replacing the cups isn't a bad idea as preventative.

Yes, that bolt is easy. Other things are harder. I think the van is way worse than a truck, but I've never worked on a truck.

Riff Raff says you can use their tool to replace cups in a van.

1712594805823.png

We rented a house for Sand Hollow, so having a pickup instead of a van for this trip wouldn't be the end of the world. I can rent a Silverado 2500 from Enterprise Trucks for under $600 for the week. That buys me another month before I need to have the van done, and I can do it right. After we get into June, we'll be using the van for camping/wheeling trips a couple times a month.
That doesn't look bad at all. Truck is easier, but looks to be plenty of room.

Oil cooler has never been touched, or even crossed my mind. If I'm draining the oil and coolant to do injectors, I should probably do that.

Haven't pulled any injectors yet, but I'm liking the idea of swapping 1 and 7 (7 is the easiest to get to) and see if the smoke follow it.
Make sure if you do the copper washer on tip comes out with both, dab some grease between washer and injector before you stab back in. Orings should be fine at ~6 yrs old.

Talked to FFD.

They agreed with swapping injectors to confirm it's the injector.

Since they flow test 100% of injectors, they can look up my order number and sell me a single injector for ~$250.

For $300 I can send in all 8 of my injectors and they'll flow test them and do a light reman (he lost me on the internal details). Downside is I need to get all the injectors out.

He didn't feel 6 years and 40k miles is enough to need all the injectors rebuilt, and if it's an injector than it's a fluke thing.

Will report back.

Sounds like oil cooler leak to me too ( most common for that location ). Don’t fix what isn’t broke , swap that injector as you mentioned and see if it follows , I bet it does . Replace when you confirm my suspicions . Don’t waste time though you’ve got a trip to make 💪🏼

Disconnected harness seems to indicate stuck injector or bad harness not coolers.

Make sure if you do the copper washer on tip comes out with both, dab some grease between washer and injector before you stab back in. Orings should be fine at ~6 yrs old.
The washers hammer on using a socket or piece of tube, shouldn't be falling off.

I'm not sure the issue my truck had, just had a miss that would about make me sick from the shaking at a stoplight and smoked bad, especially when cold.

Only thing I found when I pulled it all apart was 1 injector with pretty rotten o rings.
I had a set of less hours injectors I rebuilt in put in it. Wasn't too interested in paying $1500+ for some brodozer roll the coals brah injectors or questionable "reman'd" ones.

I did the cups because people said running ELC antifreeze would eat the sealant Ford used. Figured may as well, the cups were pretty cheap.

Was messy and kinda sucked doing it outside in 10* weather.
I spent time sucking the cylinders out with a oil sucker deal. Both in the chamber before putting the cups and in the glow plug hole. Decided after to crank the engine just to make sure.
Good thing I did, it shot a mixed of oil, diesel and ELC like 20ft up all over the front of my shop and parked nearby.

The washers hammer on using a socket or piece of tube, shouldn't be falling off.

I'm not sure the issue my truck had, just had a miss that would about make me sick from the shaking at a stoplight and smoked bad, especially when cold.

Only thing I found when I pulled it all apart was 1 injector with pretty rotten o rings.
I had a set of less hours injectors I rebuilt in put in it. Wasn't too interested in paying $1500+ for some brodozer roll the coals brah injectors or questionable "reman'd" ones.

I did the cups because people said running ELC antifreeze would eat the sealant Ford used. Figured may as well, the cups were pretty cheap.

Was messy and kinda sucked doing it outside in 10* weather.
I spent time sucking the cylinders out with a oil sucker deal. Both in the chamber before putting the cups and in the glow plug hole. Decided after to crank the engine just to make sure.
Good thing I did, it shot a mixed of oil, diesel and ELC like 20ft up all over the front of my shop and parked nearby.
Once used/installed they have a tendency to fall off

The cylinder contribution test gave me a P0263 for cylinder 1.
Buzz test had no errors
KOER on demand self test gave me a P0476.

With it running, I unplugged the entire passenger valve cover harness. It stopped smoking. Because if this, I think it’s injector related. If it were turbo or sensor related, it would happen to all cylinders.

Next step is to pull the valve cover and see if unplugging cylinder 1 alone stops the smoke.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

That's the story stick with it.

Top Back Refresh