What's new

2003 XL-7 "Overlanding" build...

Purevil71

Member Number
Loc
Indiana
Hey all, recently picked up a '03 XL-7 and looking to build a Overlanding style rig out of it, but on a budget. Looking to do a 3" suspension lift and 2" body lift.
I have the coil spacers and body lift already, so what coils could I run that would give me around 1" of lift?
Also, what longer shocks/struts would be good?
I do have a 1" diff drop I plan on using as well as some aftermarket lower A-Arms and plan on a 32" tire.
Future add ons will be a set of Trail Tough bumpers, steel front housing, rear diff armor, gas tank skid, lockers and a snorkel of course. Can't have a overlander without a snorkel...lol

Ditch the body lift for sure. How big of tires are you planning that you feel you need a 5" lift?

Mixing various front suspension parts on these doesn't usually work well because of the strut design. I'd suggest buying 3" coils and struts from the same place youre getting the arms from.

These rigs are great for budget builds, but have their limitations compared to a similar year 4runner or grand Cherokee. Lots of components are much smaller and aren't going to like tires much bigger than a 30-32" without pretty extensive mods. However, with the right mods, I feel you can keep up up with larger rigs on bigger tires if you keep it light wieght.

Ditch the body lift for sure. How big of tires are you planning that you feel you need a 5" lift?

Mixing various front suspension parts on these doesn't usually work well because of the strut design. I'd suggest buying 3" coils and struts from the same place youre getting the arms from.

These rigs are great for budget builds, but have their limitations compared to a similar year 4runner or grand Cherokee. Lots of components are much smaller and aren't going to like tires much bigger than a 30-32" without pretty extensive mods. However, with the right mods, I feel you can keep up up with larger rigs on bigger tires if you keep it light wieght.
Well, I had a 2001 2 door Tracker on 33's running a 2" body lift and 3" Calmini coils. So I'd like to build something similar. But on the XL-7, I'm thinking a 32" tire. I had cut/trimmed the body on the 2 door to fit the tires, would rather not cut this up unless absolutely necessary.
I got the Calmini stuff second hand, kept the lower A Arms and assorted hardware to make those work, sold the rest of the stuff with the 2 door when I sold that to fund the XL-7 build.

Well, I had a 2001 2 door Tracker on 33's running a 2" body lift and 3" Calmini coils. So I'd like to build something similar. But on the XL-7, I'm thinking a 32" tire. I had cut/trimmed the body on the 2 door to fit the tires, would rather not cut this up unless absolutely necessary.
I got the Calmini stuff second hand, kept the lower A Arms and assorted hardware to make those work, sold the rest of the stuff with the 2 door when I sold that to fund the XL-7 build.

Calmimi makes stuff for the 2nd Gen tracker? I thought the disappeared a long time ago :laughing:

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but a body lift is a dumb way to raise your center of gravity without gaining any clearance. But since when have overlander guys cared about a high center of gravity :flipoff2:

You can probably fit two rooftop tents on that long boi. :flipoff2: Wished the one I got to mess with was a stick, but the 2.7 is nice.

Is the 2.7 the same bell pattern as the 4cyl?

Doubtful, doesn’t matter anyway the five speed behind the 2 L wasn’t very durable possibly more like not idiot proof. ime

Still holding out for another 2001 regular 4 dr 2.0 5spd this time with some slinky suspension.

Doubtful, doesn’t matter anyway the five speed behind the 2 L wasn’t very durable possibly more like not idiot proof. ime

Good point, the 2.0/5spd I got was cheap because reverse was blown out :laughing:

Still holding out for another 2001 regular 4 dr 2.0 5spd this time with some slinky suspension.

They're fun rigs, I can't decide if I want a 4d or 2d though.

Calmimi makes stuff for the 2nd Gen tracker? I thought the disappeared a long time ago :laughing:

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but a body lift is a dumb way to raise your center of gravity without gaining any clearance. But since when have overlander guys cared about a high center of gravity :flipoff2:
They need ti dissappear...fortunately, I found this basically brand new on Facebook marketplace. Dude bought it, Calmini never shipped the complete kit, so he dumped it cheap. I just really wanted the coils for my 2 door anyway.
But, figure I have the lower A Arms, why not use them on this build.

You can probably fit two rooftop tents on that long boi. :flipoff2: Wished the one I got to mess with was a stick, but the 2.7 is nice.
It's definitely long. Gonna take a bit of getting used to going from a 2 door to a 3rd row seat 4 door...lol

They need ti dissappear...fortunately, I found this basically brand new on Facebook marketplace. Dude bought it, Calmini never shipped the complete kit, so he dumped it cheap. I just really wanted the coils for my 2 door anyway.
But, figure I have the lower A Arms, why not use them on this build.

They're definitely for a 2nd Gen and not a 1st Gen? (89-98)

They're definitely for a 2nd Gen and not a 1st Gen? (89-98)
Yes...double checked them before I bought them. Plus everything the guy had for sale was all 2nd gen stuff.
I got a set of Trail Tough bumpers and sliders, rear disk brake kit and rear locker from him as well.

Top Back Refresh