What's new

1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE

shortbus4x4

Junk collector
Member Number
Loc
Post Falls ID
Here's what I just picked up from a customer of mine. He used it for storage for his business for the last 13 years but got a new shop built this last year. It's a 1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE with a Cummins 12 valve p pump, Allison MT642 and air brakes. He gave it to me for a deal that I couldn't pass up. It took him a few months to mostly clean it out.

I drove it to my work Saturday with him following and then he gave me a ride back. It drives good, had it up to 55 but then the front-end started dancing from what feels like a tire that's been sitting too long, and school districts don't put good tires on buses they are going to surplus. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. It'd make a good crawler hauler with the rear chopped.
Sceep wanna go camping, mines bigger.:flipoff2::flipoff2:
20240406_180317.jpg
20240408_170148.jpg

Here's what I just picked up from a customer of mine. He used it for storage for his business for the last 13 years but got a new shop built this last year. It's a 1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE with a Cummins 12 valve p pump, Allison MT642 and air brakes. He gave it to me for a deal that I couldn't pass up. It took him a few months to mostly clean it out.

I drove it to my work Saturday with him following and then he gave me a ride back. It drives good, had it up to 55 but then the front-end started dancing from what feels like a tire that's been sitting too long, and school districts don't put good tires on buses they are going to surplus. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. It'd make a good crawler hauler with the rear chopped.
Sceep wanna go camping, mines bigger.:flipoff2::flipoff2:
20240406_180317.jpg
20240408_170148.jpg
NICE! :smokin:

Hell yeah backhalf that thing!

I'm always down for non-romantic campouts with IBB folk! :laughing::beer:

Thought about making the whole thing a camper and towing a trailer behind it but she's long, must be close to a 40 footer.
I threw a tape on it this afternoon and I could have a 15' deck with 18' of living space. That would put the front of the flat bed just forward of the rear tires on the bus. The rear axle is rated for I think 19k and Bluebird says it's a 216" wheel base.
Some pictures of the interior and engine.
20240408_165617.jpg
20240408_165649.jpg
20240408_165458.jpg
20240408_165635.jpg

Definitely going to get a driver's air ride seat. The steering is tilt and telescoping.
20240408_165622.jpg

First steps are to finish cleaning the interior out and then change all the filters and fluids. Also need some tires, the steers at the bare minimum but will see if I can get some good used rear traction tires too. Also need to take all the school bus stoppy signs, bars etc off.

I'm 78" and the roof height is 74" so a roof raise is probably going to happen when I build the living quarters, most likely 10-12". There's a company called skoolie.com that has pre-built hat channels and other parts to make roof raises easier.
e98d8a_d7d575ffb0c74a52b334fa94bde12978~mv2.jpeg

Want to be able to haul wife and youngest daughter camping, probably grandkids too.

Copy/Pasta from the other thread:
I drove the shit out of the TC2000s in the Army back in the day. Decent buses, but it all comes down to the specs. Most were AT525 Allisons, which bring the suck. If that's what you have, swapping to the MD3060 will do wonders for highway drivability. If its already the 3060, check to make sure 6th gear isn't locked out as a governor. Sometimes merely pressing the "MODE" button unlocks 6th, depends on the programming.

If it has a shift handle, its not the 3060.

Those mostly came with ISB210 5.9 12v P-pumped Cummins' under the hood. Standard P7100 power mods work the same as with the 2nd Gen Dodges, but you'll need a pyro before doing any of that.

They mostly had spring ride out back, so if you can, switch it out to air ride rears. Most of the springs will be worn out by now and the rear will sag badly with any weight in there (and they bounce like crazy with any bump).
Now that's out of the way, I see it has the MT642 (should that not be MT643?). If the 643, its still a 4-speed and has a 1:1 final drive, compared to the 3060's 4th at 1:1, 5th at 0.75:1 and 6th at 0.65:1. This will bring your rpm down to earth at 70 mph, rather than pegging out somewhere between 55-65. The only improvement the 643 has over the 525 is the lockup converter, otherwise its just about the same thing.

Granted, I haven't messed with these buses in over 20 years, so my memory is a bit foggy.

I'm 78" and the roof height is 74" so a roof raise is probably going to happen when I build the living quarters, most likely 10-12". There's a company called skoolie.com that has pre-built hat channels and other parts to make roof raises easier.
Dang, I hadn't heard about that...

You thinking about just lobbing off the rear of the bus roof, or leave a 4' section as a porch/ buggy hood. @longbusrwd? :flipoff2:

Dang, I hadn't heard about that...

You thinking about just lobbing off the rear of the bus roof, or leave a 4' section as a porch/ buggy hood. @longbusrwd? :flipoff2:
Not sure yet but if I do a hauler the flatbed will definitely double as a deck when we're at camp. Might have an awning or keep the roof?

DRTDEVL, I fat fingered the trans. No not that type of trans you sickos. It's a MT643.

Got all the filter numbers this evening and will start rounding them up. Did some more measuring today, it's a 40 footer. I can have a 15' deck and 17-18' living space inside. It's got 4.44 axle gears, 13,200 front axle and 19k rear for a grand total of 32,200 GVW. Here's some pictures.
20240409_173726.jpg
20240409_180031.jpg

Need to gather filters, clean it out, change said filters and fluids, get some fresh diesel in it and weigh it. Will be working on it a bit in the evenings at the dealership on my way home.

back half it, but leave some roof overhang over the flat deck and support it with uprights. makes a nice little covered porch area.

that's how my buddy's is.
allegedly the bbq was used on the flat deck while traveling at 70 mph.....

Top Back Refresh