What's new

05+ RCV hub gear install

Bullitt1

Member Number
What’s the disassemble procedure for the 05+ hub assembly, I picked up a set of RCV 300M hub gears and can’t seem to find a youtube video or part schematic on how they come apart. They get referred to as non-serviceable but I’m sure they can come apart, I’ve got them soaking at work in stoddard solvent trying to get 15 years of dried out grease to break down. Thanks, Jeff

Are you sure you're not talking about the unit bearing ?
No..the locking hub assembly..I’ve found a couple videos of people messing with them but no complete disassembly videos. Im hoping after the grease breaks down it might be more apparent how these things come apart.

Sometimes they pull apart, sometimes they break. That’s how it worked for me.

86B28347-C3B4-47D1-8885-C125EB16C9F3.jpeg

These are the hubs, the RCV gear is the inner 35spl part you see and the black plastic cage is what is keeping the unit from being disassembled. I called RCV before I bought them and they said these parts worked on all Ford SDs from 05-16 ..I’m betting they don’t work on trucks that had the vacuum hub option and the sales person misspoke .

No, they are identical
Ok then..I’m baffled as they just don’t come apart. That plastic cage has a diaphragm crimped on with a steel band on the dial end and is one continuous piece up around the outer hub gears .

I’ve called and emailed RCV today and haven’t had any response so I’m guessing I’ll be waiting till Monday.

I finally got ahold of RCV tech after many calls and emails and the answer was poor at best, guy tells me he assumes that you just cut that cage but he’s not sure. I’m guessing if you ain’t dropping $5K on custom big bell shafts RCV don’t have much time for ya…I’m really glad I sent Branik my money

Cut the cage like RCV says. you probably just need to cut just the flat piece on the bottom off, not the long plastic arms. Those are what locks/unlocks the hub when everything is assembled.

not the same thing, at all. This guy is installing Warn Hubs. Here is what I see though, the Warn hub disassembles and you can replace just the gear. Start at 4:50 in the video to see the warm hub setup, then compare it to the photo above. If you’re going to reuse the stock Ford hub you’ll probably need to buy the plastic piece again. You probably just need to cut the bottom fl

I thought you had to buy the warn hubs and replace the center slug? That's the way mine are.

I thought you had to buy the warn hubs and replace the center slug? That's the way mine are.
Yes..I ended up with Warn premiums then I added the RCV innerds . Cutting the black plastic piece of the factory SD hub just turned the whole thing into junk. On a side note RCV was absolutely useless and acted like they had no idea how to install or use their own part. I’ve been treating these hubs like drive slugs and they haven’t exploded so they must be kinda strong.

Yes..I ended up with Warn premiums then I added the RCV innerds . Cutting the black plastic piece of the factory SD hub just turned the whole thing into junk. On a side note RCV was absolutely useless and acted like they had no idea how to install or use their own part. I’ve been treating these hubs like drive slugs and they haven’t exploded so they must be kinda strong.
The few people that work in the shop know the material but it seems like they're burnt out. They make the best axles though and warranteed older stuff for me.
Same hub gears in mine 8 years now.

The few people that work in the shop know the material but it seems like they're burnt out. They make the best axles though and warranteed older stuff for me.
Same hub gears in mine 8 years now.
No doubt..I had RCV’s in a Blazer with gm60/14B and broke everything around them but the axles never gave me any problems other than clicking in the cv’s. I was just baffled that a guy that’s paid to answer questions on a tech line said “I guess” when I asked if these worked in 05+ factory hubs.

I did try to disassemble the SD hubs and never could get them apart..that’s when cut the plastic just for shits n giggles and destroy one.

Top Back Refresh