What's new

03-08 496 vats delete

WyoJeeper

Member Number
I havent posted on here yet, or even the old site in a decade plus. I am picking up a 03-08 496 8.1 for my 1989 chevy 1/2 ton project. And wondered who can reprogram the VATS out of the computer? Long term project. And no major hurry.

Just went through this. Anyone with hptuners can. All they're doing is clicking a box for the fuel pump.

I used my HP Tuner to remove VATS and do lots of other stuff on my '05 8.1 that I swapped into a square body.

IIRC it used to cost $100 per PCM just for the license.

I have the really old unit. I sold that 8.1 and got a vortec 454 and it let me transfer for free to that....Not sure how that worked for me, but it did...
HPT are phasing the 1st and 2nd generation of boxes so it's a lot harder to do now.

HPT are phasing the 1st and 2nd generation of boxes so it's a lot harder to do now.
I have not kept up with HPT at all. Do you think I will still be able to tune/play with my old 98 GM 1 ton? Or will they force me to (not) upgrade?

I have not kept up with HPT at all. Do you think I will still be able to tune/play with my old 98 GM 1 ton? Or will they force me to (not) upgrade?
If you have it already registered in the box you should be good.
You just won't be able to order new credits or keep tuning other cars.

You'll have other needs depending on the swap like EGR, Evap, cats, etc.

Also will need to figure out transmission control depending what you are using.

No egr, no evap or cats. with a 4l80E. Going to run a factory ecm.

That combo was only together in an Avalanche and Express van. So unless you get a PCM from one of them I would think you would just take a PCM from a 2500 with a 4L80 and segment swap the 8.1 engine calibration onto it.

All of that can easily be removed. I actually think the PCM in my truck with that exact combo was a 4.3 1500 to tell you the truth. Honestly it doesn't matter as long as the PCM is compatible with what you have for the engine pickups. Everything else is just ones and zeros.

Top Back Refresh